Should or shouldn`t he??

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Should the old man get charged over his possible greatest proof of love for his wife?? I`m talking about the old man that police believe may have helped his wife suicide due to her ill health, he is then believed to have tried to end his own.
As I`m sure anybody that has seen it with thier own eyes would agree, there is no bigger hurt then seeing your loved one in pain.
If you knew there was no end in sight for their pain and they asked for help to make things eaiser and painfree for them, would you help??

Should euthanasia be legal??

A

Alecia the Foxx

"Should euthanasia be legal??"

Hell yes!! I believe that if people want to top themselves, than they should be allowed to. I think they should have to have counselling first, to make sure they are in their right minds; if they are then cleared, hey, they should be allowed to knock themselves out.

P

Peter

Euthanasia is a personal choice and should not be regulated by strangers, it is your life and if you want to end it far better with the help of someone who loves you or a Doctor. Those that suicide publicly can destroy the lives of others. ie: jumping in front of a loaded train the driver feels this for the rest of his days

ecchimiki

Gold Member
Hell yes!! I believe that if people want to top themselves, than they should be allowed to. I think they should have to have counselling first, to make sure they are in their right minds; if they are then cleared, hey, they should be allowed to knock themselves out.

Agreed. The whole idea of prosecuting someone who tries to commit suicide is just stupid. In that case, they should either make it a capital offence (HAH!) or not at all.

In regards to the counselling, I would insist that it come from a non-religious-based counsellor, and the "clearance" should also come from an independent judge.

Demon

Legend Member
Need to make sure it is not the kids fast tracking the inheritance, or a spouse doing it instead of divorce, etc.

So some rules and regulations are needed. And make it an open process - to ensure that it is the person's wish, and not just made in a moment of depression.

I support euthanasia, but know its pitfalls as well.

Done badly just helps the opponents.

A

Alecia the Foxx

Agreed. The whole idea of prosecuting someone who tries to commit suicide is just stupid. In that case, they should either make it a capital offence (HAH!) or not at all.

In regards to the counselling, I would insist that it come from a non-religious-based counsellor, and the "clearance" should also come from an independent judge.

Of course. Maybe I should clarify. I believe in VOLUNTARY euthanasia. And yes, I agree that there needs to be caps and regaulations regarding it. In the case of someone who has been in a coma for years, and is old, etc, the situation would have to be VERY carefully regulated, as the person concerned is unable to speak for themselves - to me that is different because of the circumstances.

J

JasRob

Yes for me if my loved one initiates it 'coz I don't want seeing my loved one suffer to death and prolonging that suffering..I'd let her go if she asks for it than seeing her suffering and me just looking at her without doing anything to help her..

Last edited by a moderator:

svengali

Foundation Member
No doubt about it, death is the greatest taboo of all. Even though it is known to be fatal everyone does it sooner or later. The only question is in what form the "Reaper" will appear.

I have every sympathy for people like this old man and his wife. If someone is leading a life which offers only pain and helplessness with death waiting at the end of a very long road I would be all for hurrying things along. At present, with assisting suicide being illegal, their friends and relatives would have to stay away while the victim died alone which seems pretty cruel.

Of course, there must be safeguards and the decision must be made by the person affected, not by relatives panting after an inheritance or tired of providing ongoing care.

The often-cited Swiss laws permit assisted suicide under very stringent conditions which can be read here:

http://www.dwdq.org.au/DignitasGuideA4.pdf

So far as I can see this would be a pretty good model for Australia to follow if we can get past the religious zealots and those politicians who are cowed by or influenced by them

M

Morgan Sapphire

I think this man has been crucified for the love he and his wife shared for much of their lives. For some beauracratic law enforcer to come between them and punish him for no wrongdoing is absolutely appalling . I hope you think twice about what you're doing and put yourself in that situation if you were his age or any age for that matter. Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happytimes

what you see is wat you get and alot more
Diamond Member
Maybe the results of the autopsy may shed a little more light on this, up till last night they were inconclusive.