Shark v Men

J

Jazzmine

Why are sharks here so savage? Is it a media hype? I mean I know they're not goldfish, but I'm sure there are less attacks in NZ. We've surfed with sharks many a time at our local in NZ, but then again that wasn't on purpose it was more of a catch the wave with them and hope like hell you reach shore kind of deal. I wonder are they more hungry here, is there less food? Do we peeve them off more here? I'm really interested in learning more about sharks now!!

H

Heavenly Hollie

lol, yep danger awaits around every corner! That's life, live it or lump it x

Madam Jacqui

Madam @ Langtrees
Legend Member
Well if you're Not in Their Territory then nothing would happen. You know what's going to happen so take the risk or dont do it. xxxxx

G

Gentleman

Why are sharks here so savage? Is it a media hype? I mean I know they're not goldfish, but I'm sure there are less attacks in NZ. We've surfed with sharks many a time at our local in NZ, but then again that wasn't on purpose it was more of a catch the wave with them and hope like hell you reach shore kind of deal. I wonder are they more hungry here, is there less food? Do we peeve them off more here? I'm really interested in learning more about sharks now!!

Aussies must be tastier than kiwis!

G

Gentleman

Well if you're Not in Their Territory then nothing would happen. You know what's going to happen so take the risk or dont do it. xxxxx

I'm with you Jacgui. I rarely go in the water and when I do it's only up to my knees.

T

Tania Admin

Oh yeh! I don't go hanging out in Spider webs or Bee hives lol

But it in all frankness, I love the beach, walking on it, laying out in the warm sun on it,,even in a boat out on the water is nice, but swimming in it I will leave to the fish.

Demon

Legend Member

I suspect two factors explain the difference:

1. A bit more coastline
2. A few more people in the water

F

Farm Boy

April 20, 2012
One day after South Africa suspended a permit for a U.S.-based production company filming shark research near Cape Town, commenters continued to blame the documentary team for Thursday's great white attack that killed a revered body boarder -- even as the city seemed to exonerate the researchers.

Hundreds of South Africans posted angry messages Thursday and today on the "Shark Men" Facebook page, saying that the practice of "chumming" -- baiting the water to attract sharks -- had led to the death of 20-year-old champion body boarder David Lilienfeld.

"This chumming is ridiculous. ... There hasn't been a single shark sighting where David was attacked since 1999. How can you say this was not a result of them chumming our waters," posted Bianca Schwerin.

Happy2

Legend Member
Partly true demon But Wa's coast where the attacks have happened is not that large compared to NZ is it? Gero south is Very big yes But NZ being 2 major Islands would be long also And even though the region is a tad cooler The Kiwi's are water sports fans(Aren't we all?)
Maybe they have looked after their enviroment better and there are more food sources for the bitey ones

F

Farm Boy

Hard to answer that Jazz but according to Wikipedia the sharks do seem a bit ticked off with Auseys here is a link.with a Unlikely Theory and below a bit taken from Wikipedia

Link is broken,so has been taken down

Confirmed * Fatal Shark Attacks, 1580–
United States
(Excluding Hawaii) 36
Australia 217
Africa 85
Asia 51
Pacific Islands / Oceania
(Excluding Hawaii) 50
South America 23
Hawaii 8
Antilles and Bahamas 15
Middle America 27
New Zealand 8
Europe 17
Bermuda 0 —
Unspecified / Open Ocean 7
Total: 471
Source: -International Shark Attack File -Australian Shark Attack File —July 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WRXXXR

April 20, 2012
One day after South Africa suspended a permit for a U.S.-based production company filming shark research near Cape Town, commenters continued to blame the documentary team for Thursday's great white attack that killed a revered body boarder -- even as the city seemed to exonerate the researchers.

Hundreds of South Africans posted angry messages Thursday and today on the "Shark Men" Facebook page, saying that the practice of "chumming" -- baiting the water to attract sharks -- had led to the death of 20-year-old champion body boarder David Lilienfeld.

"This chumming is ridiculous. ... There hasn't been a single shark sighting where David was attacked since 1999. How can you say this was not a result of them chumming our waters," posted Bianca Schwerin.

Chumming great whites in south africa really doesnt change a thing as you have large numbers of them hanging around certain areas rather than say chumming and baiting them in south australia for cage diving tours.

Jazzmine google shark alley, shark island and a brand new doco called surfing with sharks. Heaps of good info about the "top 5"

But a few days ago i experienced something scarier than any shark i've ever come across.. i happened to be minding my own business and had a group of 30+ girls rushing towards me screaming and going balistic after some bloke called Justin. Turns out bieber was around thecorner lol

Happy2

Legend Member
Hey WR3XR I hope you did not mean girls who were 30+yrs Hate to think Perth ladies were losing it over the Beiber character too

W

WRXXXR

Nah mate, 30+ tweens or whatever young girls call themselves these days.

I reckon he's made a serious mistake dating his current missus. At that age a young man can be forgiven for sewing his wild oats and i reckon there would be litterally millions of girls his age keen.

Ohh to be talented :(

W

WRXXXR

Interestingly enough, i arrived back in Perth today and opened up the still wrapped Sunday Times with its killer sharks killing 5 people in 10 months (perhaps 10 aussies in 10 years is more accurate) on the front cover but only a small bit on the inside cover about the current road toll. 97 this year alone!!

Guess the thought of a rogue great white hunting ocean users sells more papers

Happy2

Legend Member
I guess what stats you want to use I mean The US I believe has the most reported attacks But they have been fortunate
that there have been no fatalities
Anyway the humble Mosquito causes more deaths as a carrier of lord knows how many diseases than nigh on any animal on earth
But how many of us go into screaming fits of terror When they see a mozzie land on their arm Or hear that dreaded whine on a hot still summers night

F

Farm Boy

Interestingly enough, i arrived back in Perth today and opened up the still wrapped Sunday Times with its killer sharks killing 5 people in 10 months (perhaps 10 aussies in 10 years is more accurate) on the front cover but only a small bit on the inside cover about the current road toll. 97 this year alone!!

Guess the thought of a rogue great white hunting ocean users sells more papers

5 west Auseys is undisputed what to do is the question , and it got nothing to do with the road toll bees spiders mosquitoes or any other things than can kill you .

Happy2

Legend Member
I have always thought it to be sheer bad luck I mean hell of a lot more sharks see us than vice versa And the more sightings of today may very well be to the more alert state of authorities Shark spotting planes and people being extra mindful when in and around the water Because of the higher number of attacks in recent times
But 5 deaths is 5 too many But next year there may be no attacks The papers find more exciting stories and the shark menace fades again for a while

D

Driver Harry

I always find it amazing that we humans take offence that an animal that has no cruel intentions must be culled or whatever, we kill other humans by the millions and it's just life GG.

Happy2

Legend Member
I always find it amazing that we humans take offence that an animal that has no cruel intentions must be culled or whatever, we kill other humans by the millions and it's just life GG.

Well said Driver Harry Many of us have tried to get a similar point across But you have put in a nutshell

F

Farm Boy

How people in some parts of the world conduct themselves is there business l, here in WA we do not kill people by the millions and it is somewhat concerning that our Fatal shark attacks are significant higher than anywhere else in the world.

W

WRXXXR

5 people out of how many hundreds of thousands of people who have entered the water this year??

Your chances of an attack is very rare but if your that worried stick to hillarys marina.

Happy2

Legend Member
5 people out of how many hundreds of thousands of people who have entered the water this year??

Your chances of an attack is very rare but if your that worried stick to hillarys marina.

Hillarys is probably more dangerous How many blokes clean fish on their boat and clean out crab baits etc It would be a great place for a free feed for a bitey

Demon

Legend Member
How many were surfers in wetsuits. The swimmer at Cottesloe was about 400m offshore and in a wetsuit.

Previous attacks have been paddlers on surf-skis.

The surfboard and surf-ski looks like seal, or dolphin.

Swimmers close to shore are much less likely at risk.

D

Driver Harry

Actually most shark attacks happen in less than 20FT of water.
We have ourselves to blame for alot of attacks, for instance the way we commercial fish as humans depleting the sharks usual diet.
I read on PERTHNOW last week that the sheep we export to Middle East are being thrown overboard off our coast, c'mon can anyone say burley in the water FFS.
Shark attack ppl immediately think Great White, not Tiger Shark or Mako.
All the attacks have been so called 4 to 5M sharks, that's a big "snapper" and not usually a South African white that's migrated. That size usually from Southern tip of AUS, maybe Antarctica is melting driving them up the coast...
I hope culling is not introduced as the White is a majestic fish, Peace Out :D

F

Farm Boy

We have ourselves to blame for alot of attacks, for instance the way we commercial fish as humans depleting the sharks usual diet.
I read on PERTHNOW last week that the sheep we export to Middle East are being thrown overboard off our coast, c'mon can anyone say burley in the water FFS.
All the attacks have been so called 4 to 5M sharks, that's a big "snapper" and not usually a South African white that's migrated. That size usually from Southern tip of AUS, maybe Antarctica is melting driving them up the coast...

I provided a link to the sheep boat shark thing Harry

F

Farm Boy

I provided a link to the sheep boat shark thing Harry