Phuket

A

Al Swearengen

I'm going to Phuket around October this year. I know things are pretty cheap over there but I'm still not sure how much spending money I should take? I'm only going for a week but I've never been to Thailand before.
Anyone out there give me a heads up on what a good amount of spending money would be?

C

colzilla

Mr Al I've never been to Thailand or have any desire too but I do believe Thai beaver is a lot cheaper the Aussie Beaver... Hope that helps

A

Al Swearengen

Mr Al I've never been to Thailand or have any desire too but I do believe Thai beaver is a lot cheaper the Aussie Beaver... Hope that helps

Thanks Col. Thats one of the many, many good things I've heard about Phuket. I'm not going there to sample the local ladies though. Asians just arent my type. But you never know. They may change my mind!

C

colzilla

On the very rare occasion I've had Asian beaver I quite liked the girls one was Japanese the other from the Philippines and an Indian cutie. You might be a convert after October... You might even get hitched and have an Al Junior.

Lucky bugger even I'm thinking about going now.

C

Contrarian

That aside Al, are you going on a tour package with breakfast thrown in? I haven't been to Phuket in almost 20 years - pre-Tsunami obviously. I was disappointed in some ways on my first day - I found the main strip had great food except that it was French, Swiss, Italian, Greek, Indian, English. More embarrassingly there were heaps of Caucasian tourists eating their own fare largely saying how delicious it was and cheap too. Mind you - the food was of good quality.

I made friends with the hotel bellboy and waitress and they took me after hours to a place in the hills near their house where I had the most delicious Thai food. That being said, the waters in Phuket are fantastic. And the food - no matter the origins, is delicious. The Thais are brilliant craftsmen.

So how much money should you take? Change A$1000 into baht. And A$1000 cash which you can change over there but don't change it 'til you need to.

C

colzilla

Did you get some Thai beaver whilst you were there though Contrarian. Bet you were at it like a rabbit in your younger days... Maybe even a LB.

A

Al Swearengen

Thanks for that Contrarian. I was figuring on about $2k myself but I'm really not sure. Especially since I want a few leather goods made up and a couple of suits.

Al.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Would you be eating street food or dining in fancy places? Been about 3 years since I was last there but a good bowl of mnoodles would set you back about 30 - 35 baht on the street ($1.10) or you could go to a place called Central Phuket Festival where you go downstairs to the food hall and you may pay a bit more, perhaps 40 baht.
Like Contrarian says don`t change money until you need to do it and get your first lot changed there and not here.
There are things to do that don`t include the bars which are not that expensive either. If it was me, and I wasn`t really into the ladies over there try and find yourself a tour guide. I think I paid a guide including his car about 600 baht per day to take me wherever I wanted to go. The pay for a thai worker is about 300 baht per day maximum. I would suggest paying a bit more then that and letting him/her know that if they help you save it could end up more into their pocket at the end of the trip.
A couple forums you may want to look at are Phuket.com or go to Thaivisa.com and go to the Phuket sub forum.

You`ll have a great time for sure.

And before I forget, $1 Aussie is about 30 baht but they seem to think we may get even more then that soon.

C

Contrarian

Did you get some Thai beaver whilst you were there though Contrarian. Bet you were at it like a rabbit in your younger days... Maybe even a LB.

I was like a rabbit at it and still am - just don't pay for it anymore Col. And it may surprise you but I didn't got to Phuket to get Phuked but because I've a real genuine interest in Thai art and culture - and I needed a restful beachside holiday. That being said, I was alarmed and saddened one evening when two guys approached me and offered sex with a 14 year old girl. That shook me up - in fact I think I returned to my hotel room and cried.

I often wonder if any of the hotel staff (very likely) died in the tsunami.

C

Contrarian

I was like a rabbit at it and still am - just don't pay for it anymore Col. And it may surprise you but I didn't got to Phuket to get Phuked but because I've a real genuine interest in Thai art and culture - and I needed a restful beachside holiday. That being said, I was alarmed and saddened one evening when two guys approached me and offered sex with a 14 year old girl. That shook me up - in fact I think I returned to my hotel room and cried.

I often wonder if any of the hotel staff (very likely) died in the tsunami.

C

colzilla

Well that's two reason I don't to places like Thailand, tsunami's and the other.

Ms Sue

Legend Member
I went over last year ...... It was very cheap .... As long as you are not looking for 5 stars $2000 would be enough.... Find a nice taxi driver pay him for the day and they will take you anywhere... I think I paid about $50 per day......
Hope this helps....
Sue

Fudd

Foundation Member
...fond memories of celebrating my 40th birthday in Phuket with some friends from Oz. Spent part of that actual day sitting under a palm tree on a deserted beach with a bottle of Jack Daniels.... :)

P

Perth boy

$2000 you will have a ball. God I spend less than that in two weeks in Thailand.

Al if you intend on playing the p4p arena be careful what hotel you book. The 5 star places won't let you take girls back.

As BB said don't eat in the fancy places. Street food is safe and so much better. $1 will get you a good feed.

Al will you be looking for a bit of Thai pussy?

A

Al Swearengen

Awesome! Thanks guys!

I dont think I'll be going for the local thai pussy. Not my type. But you never know!

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy Bro;- Yeeeee gotto get some, Damm fine is Thai.........just Lovely
Try it Yeeeeee will like it
Cheers and Pass the Rum

Awesome! Thanks guys!

I dont think I'll be going for the local thai pussy. Not my type. But you never know!

P

Perth boy

Al a few must do places in Patong is

Bangla rd
Soi crocodile
Suzy wongs ass smacking bar
Christens soapy massage (very large pink building)
The mirror in the gents at Hollywood disco.

Diamond Dog

Foundation Member
Phuket is more expensive than most other places in Thailand. That includes hotels, girls and transport.
If you want female company allow $100 to $150 a night.

Zane_1

Gold Member
I realise that Phuket is a bit more expensive than bkk, but $150 should get you at least 12 hours with a local lady, probably closer to 24 hours. Its low season right now and many of the girls go home, but there are plenty left and they will be discounting to gain business from the relatively low tourist numbers. October is high season again, which starts around SEPish. ST shouldn't cost more than 1000-1500 maybe 2000 baht (up to about AUD$70) including barfine.

Food and accommodation is cheap, from say 30-50$ a night for a hotel and up to say 1000 baht for food/day if you go relatively cheap. Sky's the limit if money is no problem.

BKK is a _lot_ better for the punter and is only about AUD$100 for a flight.

I'll be out at hkt in about 3 weeks so I'll come back and give some better figures - though I don't usually stay at the low end of town, generally 5 star ($100-150 a night).

svengali

Foundation Member
Crikey!!

$100 - $150 a night for 5 star??

That would only get you around backpacker hostel level here in Perth.

Happy2

Legend Member
Sven We in Australia are totally ripped off by hotels etc And it is not just because of our standard of living Which is often used as an excuse
I have booked a nice hotel in Vienna for a fortnight in Sept and that is averaging at about $115 per night Austria I am sure has a high standard of living as well

C

colzilla

Phuket can f##ket I'll do my wh##ring in good old Oz.

Aussie!
Oi!
Aussie!
Oi!
Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Oi Oi Oi!

Zane_1

Gold Member
Sorry mate they saw you coming. Rule number one, never pay more than 2000tb ($60-65)for longtime ( a all nighter) with a hottie.

To be fair though you have to know how to 'play the game' in Thailand to consistently get a 2000B 'deal' like this for 24hr with a gorgeous WL. Its certainly possible and far from unknown, but you have to find the right bar, probably near close and be lucky enough to bump into a lovely girl who happens to not have already been picked up for the evening by a newbie earlier on - at a higher price.

I tend to not like trawling the bars very late, I'm just lazy perhaps. Don't forget too, that if finding a nice/beautiful girl is your goal for the evening, then one has to add the cost of drinks and whatnot. These days I have a tendency to go straight for the main game, so, less time in the bar and more time with my girl - can cost a few baht more (to her) but usually works out about the same overall.