• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Phew... that was lucky.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Ever had one of those moments when you think to yourself.
Wow, that was lucky??
I had one of those moments this morning. Cold air and me don`t mix sometimes and on the way to work in Oakford I was busting for the toilet so I pulled onto the side of the road, found a spot between a tree and a fence and took a pee... I don`t know why but I thought to myself at the time... Phew, lucky the fence wasn`t electric. :icon_boun

F

Farm Boy

The Mythbusters tested the myth that you could be electrocuted by peeing on the 3rd rail. The myth was 'busted' as the stream would be broken up due to distance and there wouldn't be a continuous path for the electrical current to follow. This seems to be refuted by a Monsanto, Washington man that was found electrocuted after urinating into a ditch that had a downed power line."

— Authorities believe a Washington man was killed by accidentally urinating on a downed power line after a car crash.

Grays Harbor County sheriff's Deputy Dave Pimentel said Monday 50-year-old Roy Messenger was not seriously hurt after he collided with a power pole Friday and called a relative to pull his car from a ditch.
However, family members found Messenger electrocuted when they arrived.
Pimentel says Messenger apparently urinated into a roadside ditch but didn't see the live wire. The urine stream likely served as a conductor, allowing the electricity to reach his body.
Pimentel says there will be an autopsy but burn marks indicated the way the electricity traveled through Messenger's body.

G

Gentleman

The amps and voltage in the downed power line is a lot higher than an electric fence used for stock. With some overhead powerlines they have enough current going through them to pull in your hand from 10-20cm away. Where as with an electric fence for stock you have to be actually touching it to be zapped.

F

Farm Boy

The amps and voltage in the downed power line is a lot higher than an electric fence used for stock. With some overhead powerlines they have enough current going through them to pull in your hand from 10-20cm away. Where as with an electric fence for stock you have to be actually touching it to be zapped.

That is right GM an electric fence zap only lasts five millisecond and at forty or so pulses(zaps) pre minute there's not much chance of all the Planetary Aligning.

Now this is luck Bill .

face-plant-ice-skating.jpg

Bloody Lucky man had something soft warm and fuzzy to land on

C

Contrarian

About 20 years ago, a boy died at the West Leederville railway station. He was drunk and decided to piss of the overhead bridge above the cables and sadly died. After that, all bridges above the railway line cables have that mesh fencing in the hope of breaking any urinary stream.

svengali

Foundation Member
Electricity is an unpredictable beast. Mythbusters are pretty thorough with their research but from a physics point of view the possibillities are pretty wide and varied and, as I often say, some things only have to happen once.

An older guy with an enlarged prostate pees slowly with plenty of breaks in the stream but imagine a young buck in his twenties after a night on the turps and you get a different picture. Also, depending on atmospheric conditions high voltage electricity can jump impressive distances so best to keep peckers away from power lines.

C

Contrarian

I remember as a kid we were always told to wear rubber shoes when handling electrical items. So many electricians have died with rubber shoes on!

svengali

Foundation Member
I remember as a kid we were always told to wear rubber shoes when handling electrical items. So many electricians have died with rubber shoes on!

That is good advice and not just for electricians. However, rubber soles only stop current earthing through your feet. If you are touching anything else which offers the juice a route to earth, say a metal ladder or scaffolding, you are still toast.

tige640

Silver Member
I am a farmer and use electric fences all the time. The shock from an electric fence won't kill you unless you have a bad heart or some other medical condition that weakens you, but peeing on a fence is a sure way of stopping you getting a horn for about a month

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Let's talk traffic.......especially when you look to the "wrong" side first before crossing the road and the traffic happens on the right hand side of the road. :stop:
Or the bush bike chaos in Amsterdam when bush-bikes come towards you from every direction in high speed and with everything attached to it (shopping, kids, dogs, second adult, bunch of flowers, pieces of furniture etc.......).........no idea where to go to escape.
PHEW.........I have been lucky uncountable times in 5 weeks to get away without bruises.

R.xxxxxxx