No wikipedia

Happy2

Legend Member
Just wondering whats going to happen to our fake current affairs shows
They have no wikipedia for research
Will we get real reporting or is that just wishful thinking?

Fudd

Foundation Member
Just wondering whats going to happen to our fake current affairs shows
They have no wikipedia for research
Will we get real reporting or is that just wishful thinking?

....they pulled it for 24 hours in protest of a proposed new USA law that, in their opinion, is very draconian.

T

that guy28

US government says the bill theyre passing is to protect copyrighted materials, pirates are called pirates because theyre pirates. Pirates dont care, and neither does the government. However the ability to censor the internet? that is very appealing. easy way to squash any internet protest activity and shut everybody up again. Clever bastards they are.

Don't worry about teh current affair shows though, they can always do a landlords/tennants from hell. Builders form hell. Neighbours from hell. Supermarkets from hell. Bus routes from hell. Checkout savings.... from hell.

N

Naughty Thoughts

I'm just having a mental image of all these school kids simultaneously shouting "noooooo" as their homework is due tomorrow...

N

Naughty Thoughts

Hopefully they'll be able to work out that there are other sources of information. I have a feeling many will just say "couldn't do it, no wikipedia". Hopefully the teachers will take the opportunity to show the kids how to do research rather than taking the easy way out.

The US is basically having the same argument we had here in Australia over the Clean Feed. For different reasons, but essentially the argument is about giving a few people control over the content of the internet.

Demon

Legend Member
They gave a few days notice, so people could get their homework done early.

I support Wikipedia in this fight against the forces of evil (US Congress and other like-minded governments - which includes Australian govt).

There is a good article/interview by a Curtin University professor on this at:

Wikipedia blackout | SOPA | PIPA

F

Farm Boy

They gave a few days notice, so people could get their homework done early.

I support Wikipedia in this fight against the forces of evil (US Congress and other like-minded governments - which includes Australian govt).

There is a good article/interview by a Curtin University professor on this at:

Wikipedia blackout | SOPA | PIPA

And you gave Wikipedia a $ Donation naturally Demon.

N

Naughty Thoughts

It would be interesting if Google did the same thing - any search brings back one result: the Wikipedia article about SOPA.

Demon

Legend Member
Google's algorithm is based on number of links to and from any website. Wikipedia will rank high for many searches.

A

AlexandraSilk

Yes the content on "A Current Affair" always leaves me chuckling. It is so vastly different from actual current world events.

N

Naughty Thoughts

I do love a dose of irony every now and then!

I know... on the plus side we aim for a bit of transparency here, so if I go silly and let the power go to my head, people will see it and say "he's a dick".

N

Naughty Thoughts

No no, my dad named me "dick", not Richard. He was a dick too...

W

WRXXXR

essentially the argument is about giving a few people control over the content of the internet.

I'm sure you've heard / read whats happening with megaupload in recent days? We'll end up like north Korea

Demon

Legend Member
I'm sure you've heard / read whats happening with megaupload in recent days? We'll end up like north Korea

Never trust ANY government. Some are much worse than others, but all are untrustworthy.

Government is about power, and closing down anything which exposes them or threatens their personal power.

N

Naughty Thoughts

...read whats happening with megaupload in recent days?

No, I haven't. I've been out of the loop on most things. *goes to google...*

W

WRXXXR

Bit more than shut it down!!

Going to be a massive legal shit-fight. Extradition and all sorts. They confiscated dozens of highish end cars, toys etc but not the giraffe (apparently they had one as a pet).

my techo nerds mates tell me that this new sopa stuff would mean that anyone distributing pirate micheal Jackson songs could be jailed for 5 years.. Yet his killer got 4 lol.

J

jaxonjorja

you don't have to be just distributing it either. If your webpage points to another webpage that does pirate / distribute pirated stuff, your also in a bit of strife!:police: :nono:
Look out google!!!!

Demon

Legend Member
The copyright laws are all wrong - too much protection for too long (Same with patents).

Romeo & Juliet (for example) was written by an Italian before Shakespeare was born - but most English speaking people credit Shakespeare's copy as the original.

N

Naughty Thoughts

...you don't have to be just distributing it either....

Agreed. The SOPA PIPA proposals are too much of a blanket. Makes me wonder how much money the record companies (and whoever else is involved in this) is spending on lobbying for this. And were they are getting the money, considering the state of the US economy and the lost profits caused by pirates.

Demon

Legend Member
There are very little lost profits to the so called pirates.

Most 'pirates' would not buy = zero loss.

Research by major academics has found that most free downloads lead to more paid for sales = more profits

W

WRXXXR

I wonder if this will just lead to people trying to get their fix of American tv shows on the deep web and ending up in all sorts of trouble.

I'm no IT uber nerd but i'd rather just download utorrent and jump on pirate bay than play around with things that I shouldnt be! SWAT raiding my house is a safer option