Mates rates...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
I`ve already said no but I`m still wanting to see what other peoples views are...

A friend of mine asked me recently if I could help their son get a job in the company I work for but I told them I wouldn`t as he should try to get the job based on merit and not who he knows...

Is it ok for somebody to say that they know the boss or the owner is a good friend or say they come here all the time,
just to try and get a better deal?

P

Perth boy

I`ve already said no but I`m still wanting to see what other peoples views are...

A friend of mine asked me recently if I could help their son get a job in the company I work for but I told them I wouldn`t as he should try to get the job based on merit and not who he knows...

Is it ok for somebody to say that they know the boss or the owner is a good friend or say they come here all the time,
just to try and get a better deal?

If you are in a postion to help the kid get work its good to help as some jobs have heeps of applicants. The problem in doing this is if the kid is a dud it can reflect on you. I am all for helping the kids as the Y generation need as much help as they can but only if the kid is a really good kid. That puts out most of the Y generation.

Name dropping I think its called. I find a lot of my clients try this and when my staff tell me that Mr smith came in I normally carnt remember who they are anyway. Behind the doors we treat all clients the same. But to them we tell them they are getting a great deal.

W

WRXXXR

I left school at 17 (normal age) and in the last 11 years i've not had 1 proper job interview and i dont even have a resume... Mates / their families helped along the way.

If he's a good kid who'll work hard why not give him a helping hand. If old mates dad / mum is your friend why wouldn't you?

But pro tip to the people with resumes... loose the photo! You look like a douche with a photo of you standing next to big ben or the Colosseum ;) All that tells me is that mummy and daddy probably paid for a trip to London.

The "deals" kind of thing relates to me. If they are a close friend / family who'd do the same for you, dont be a tight prick :D

antonov

Gold Member
I work at a professional level in the mining industry. If you advertise a job, you get a thousand applicants. How do you sort them out? References: ie talk to someone whose opinion you value, who knows them. I guess that amounts sooner or later to "mates". But it doesn't involve taking someone on BECAUSE they are a mate. You take them on because you value your mate's assessment that the guy is not going to be a complete drop-kick!

svengali

Foundation Member
Explorationist has nailed it.

There is no harm in helping someone get an interview and, if they are good, you are doing your firm and the boss a favour which is always a good move. After that introduction, let matters take their course so that if the guy gets the job he wins on his own merits.

As regards mates rates, I do freebies and discounts for family only and, depending on who or what, for charities. Most of my regular customers happily pay the asking price and anyone referred to me gets the same treatment as anyone else.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Agree agree agree guys. If the kid is responsible, trustworthy and no drop kick why not giving him a helping hand to get a foot in the door. Our society works more and more on "name dropping".
I can understand your concerns BillyBones.......if the kid doesn't work out it might come back to you but be honest there....only to a certain extend......the kid is not your son/daughter. So giving a youngster a helping hand in our more and more competitive society.......why not. (lol unless you are convinced he is bloody useless.)

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

L

Langtrees VIP Perth 2

Yeah, I agree with the others billybones, stop being such a mean bugger and give the kid a leg up! Haven't you ever received a favor from someone? Ever heard of 'You reap what you sow?' Can't hurt can it?

Lisa xxx

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Not being mean at all, just know that he wouldn`t be good for the job and even if he was, how would I tell another friend if they asked for their son or daughter if they weren`t.
What I have done in the past is tell my boss that I know of someone looking for work and if they decide to meet them, then it is up to them.
I`m not going to give them any pressure in hiring anybody I know.

W

wcmonger

Yeah, I agree with the others billybones, stop being such a mean bugger and give the kid a leg up! Haven't you ever received a favor from someone? Ever heard of 'You reap what you sow?' Can't hurt can it?

Lisa xxx

I'm with Lisa.

Stop worrying about yourself & be a friend!!!

:eek:ccasion14

W

WRXXXR

I hired this bloke as a favour and let me tell you for the first few months he was a pain in the arse. Lazy and generally unproductive but 12months later he's turned out to be a decent worker.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Can I ask? Why did you keep him so long? Is it because you saw some potential or were you worried about upsetting the friend who had recommened him to you?

Would you be ok with people pointing him/her out and complaining...

"He never does anything but the boss won`t sack him because he`s a friends son" or "He only got the job because his mum works here"

I think that there is 2 sides... It can either go very well or very bad.

Happy2

Legend Member
We have to remember that the boss is also going to remember who recommended
the person for the job. Its fine if it all works out, but if it doesnt ?

W

WRXXXR

Bill, at the beginning I didn't see much but I really just needed someone and then 3 months went by and I started seeing some potential.

Staff are always whinging about something.

You've pretty much got 2 options. You can tell your boss you know a kid but don't know what he's like as a worker so the boss can deal with it and you've done the right thing by your mate or you can tell him you have no positions available which could be entirely true currently!

markeys

Foundation Member
I told them I wouldn`t as he should try to get the job based on merit and not who he knows...

Bloody good on you!,

It should come down to merit not who they know,
It contributes to people getting jobs they really shouldn't of got when there are often more suitable people who dont know someone to help them cheat the system.