Lawyer gets just desserts

Happy2

Legend Member
I just came across this article cleaning out old newspapers etc A Lawyer in Charlotte New Caledonia
purchased a box of very rare and expensive cigars, then insured them, including against fire.

Within a month having smoked all 24 of these great cigars, the lawyer filed a claim against the insurance company
In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost " in a series of small fires"
The insurance company refused to pay, citing the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion

The lawyer sued and won In delivering his ruling the judge agreed the claim was frivolous But said
Nevertheless that the lawyer held a policy from that company in which it had warranted that the cigars were insurable and
that they guaranteed insurance against fire Without deeming what it considered unacceptable fire And was obliged to pay

Rather than waste money on further action the company payed out $15 000 for his loss of cigars to fire

Now for the best part

After the lawyer cashed the check the company had him arrested on 24 counts of arson
With his own testimony and insurance claim used as evidence , he was convicted of intentionally burning his own insured property and was sentenced to 24months jail and fined $24000

A

Alecia the Foxx

So do you have something against people who try and stick it to insurance companies? Those guys seem to always find some reason not to pay out, nice to see them squirming sometimes, especially using their own rules.

Happy2

Legend Member
If it had been anyone except a lawyer I would probably agree with you Foxxy one

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Insuarance is Insurance now in my younger days I did once get replacement makeup when a bag was pinched, my makeup was old and well used and I still feel guilty for the $500 I got to replace that makeup bag.- it was 20 years ago so would be $2000 in today's market. It is unreasonable claims like mine that make the insurance companies so hard and fast today, we can't have it both ways.

A

Alecia the Foxx

There was a case over here where an insurance company denied a decent sized claim because an old lady hadn't declared that her husband had convictions when she applied. They hadn't actually asked her if he had convictions so how was she supposed to know that she should have disclosed that? Anyway, she took them to court and won against them. Good job. There we have it in black and white that they will say anything to get out of their responsibilities. I have a couple of lawyer friends who are academics, however, they do take cases against insurance companies because of their disgust with them.

svengali

Foundation Member
Insurance companies cop a lot of unfair flack because they operate in a legally complex area which many people don't take the trouble to learn about. Like the Tax Office they also have to cope with a lot of people who regard them as fair game for ripping off. Personally, I have always found them to be pretty fair on those occasions when I have needed to claim.

Happy2

Legend Member
I personally have never had any problems with my insurance company Which is one of the largest rural coverage providers
Though I have never made really big or unwarranted claims either
But as svengali said complex area tax and insurance law. Communication often seems to be the problem We dont ask enough questions
As one tax man on talkback said last year We dont want to take your house or freeze accounts Just talk to us Well before it gets out of hand

blacksparrow

Silver Member
Lawyers Definition- a person who studies law in order to be able to reap vast quantities of money from people with problems.