How many rights do they have????

N

norimus

LoL Alecia.. thanks for point that out to me :D at least i brought the lamb in the story :D .. and I didn't bring up the race issue.. after all the do gooders and bleading hearts are are own people :D cheers ;)

B

BigBlackCock

Norimus - pray tell, what "culture" is this you refer to? Australia is a multiracial country and apart from the aboriginals, the first mob of boat people were illegal refugees - I speak of Captain Cook and his mob?

What "culture" - yoghurt perhaps?

B

BigBlackCock

"A million now" is a great piece of exaggeration. Top marks for trying though Farm Boy

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Ok......don't forget we are talking about human beings and it is a bit too easy to assume that every asylum seeker is a cheat/criminal/takes away jobs etc.
Just a simple question to consider: what would it take you to take you and your family to get on a dodgy boat after paying lot's of money and leave your country, culture, language, friends behind? I would think that there has to be a very strong reason to take this step. So why not give them the benefit of the doubt?
We are living in a modern age and we can't see the problem of one country separately from the rest of the world.
We are connected with air travel....internet......modern times......how can we expect to close borders?....again we are all human beings....and we should treat everyone as we would like to be treated in the same situation.

Ok guys......fire on :thumbsup:

R.xxxxxxxxxxxx

B

BigBlackCock

I've recently finished reading a book called "The Happiest Refugee". I'd recommend it to anyone - it's about the Australian comedian, Anh Do. Of course, not every refugee is going to come to Australia and become a top corporate lawyer, win scholarships and then give it all away to become an intelligent comedian like he did. Here's a little bit of his life on the refugee boat he spoke of during an interview on the ABC.

I find myself using this saying quite a lot. I think it describes how I go about making decisions in my life and it's something I've learnt from my father. There's only two times in life, there's now, and there's too late. I was born in Vietnam, so when the war finished, life for my family was very hard. And we eventually had to leave Vietnam. There were 40 of us on a 9m fishing boat. On day four of our journey we spot a boat in the distance. And as the boat gets closer we realise it's a boatload of Thai pirates. Seven men with knives, machetes and guns get on our boat. And they take everything. One of the pirates picks up the smallest child on the boat, he lifts up the baby and rips open the baby's nappy and $150 worth of gold falls out. And the pirate dangles the kid over the ocean and threatens to throw the kid in. In that moment, for whatever reason, the pirate decides to spare the kid's life. And that's a good thing, cos that's my little brother. Khoa Do, who in 2005 became the Young Australian of the Year. And we were saved on the fifth day by a big German merchant ship which took us to a refugee camp in Malaysia, and we were there for around three months before Australia says - come to Australia. And we're very glad that happened. So often, we heard Mum and Dad say - what a great country. How good is this place? And the other thing - kids, as you grow up, do as much as you can to give back to this great country and to give back to others less fortunate. And so, that's how Mum and Dad taught us to fit in.

F

Farm Boy

"A million now" is a great piece of exaggeration. Top marks for trying though Farm Boy

Maybe my post was not precise,I will now try again.
Several years ago the total number of refuges in the world according, to the united nations was fourteen million people my question is how many are now waiting.
Also I am reasonable sure that Australia takes about Fourteen thousand genuine refuges per year whats more the number stays about the same , so seven thousand( for example) come on a boat seven thousand les visa are granted. Now may be my numbers are wrong but BB COCK I await you may have more actuate information.

B

BigBlackCock

"Actuate" information?

Seven thousand people on a boat = seven thousand refugees. They're processed or await processing in a detention centre. Some are sent back. Some are allowed to stay. So if (as you say) fourteen thousand refugee visas are issued, then these are part of that fourteen thousand.

B

BigBlackCock

Just thought I'd compile some statistics from official websites that are government bodies or government-funded agencies. Hopefully this will bring some rationale to the tone of argument here and there.

AUSTRALIA'S REFUGEE PROGRAM
Facts + Stats
MYTHS ABOUT REFUGEES
There is a lot of confusion about refugees: not just about who they are but also about the impact they have on Australian life. Here are just some of the myths:

Charity begins at home: we should help Aborigines and other disadvantaged groups in Australia first!

"Charity" is not something that should be considered in terms of "us" and "them". If we are being responsible members of the human community we should seek ways to assist all those in need.

Refugees take our jobs which is balanced by the contradictory myth: all refugees go on unemployment benefits.

It is true that newly arrived refugees have higher unemployment rates than the community average. This is not unexpected. Amongst the refugee arrivals are people who have been tortured and deeply traumatised. This can interfere with employment. There are also a significant number of entrants whose qualifications are not recognised in Australia and they need time to make adjustments. There is also the issue of learning English. Refugees are entitled to 510 hours of free English language instruction which must be taken in the first 2 years - and it is beneficial that the entrants do this as they are unlikely to do this later.

The fact that refugees "come from behind" in the employment stakes highlights the need for specifically targeted intervention programs that recognise issues such as their trauma, their unrecognised qualifications and their lack of English. Targeted programs that do this have shown that they are very successful at placing refugees in the workforce. If we are to bring refugees to Australia (and it is Australia's decision that we do so) it is important that we recognise their specific needs and address these. If we do this, we will reap the benefits. Most refugees want to work, both to restore their damaged sense of self esteem and to repay what they see as their debt of gratitude to Australia for providing them with protection.

Whether "refugees take our jobs" is the sort of question that has no easy answer. Refugees do compete for jobs but they are also consumers. Because they arrive with nothing they have to purchase household goods, clothing etc, all of which provides jobs for the people who make and sell these commodities.

Refugees have no right to come here and expect us to help them.

Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states: "Everyone has the right to seek and enjoy in other countries freedom from persecution".
It is an accident of birth that we are born in a country where human rights are respected. Do we have a moral right to protect these at the expense of others? This does not mean that Australia alone must take the full burden for protecting the persecuted. It does mean that we have to play a part in an international response that includes a wide spectrum of initiatives from addressing root causes to providing asylum to people whose human rights have been violated.

Refugees are economic migrants who come here to get a better life.

The distinction between refugees and migrants is outlined on the FAQs page.

Refugees get all sorts of handouts from the government.

As will be outlined on the FAQs page, refugees essentially have the same rights and entitlements as permanent residents. They are, however, exempt from the waiting period for Social Security benefits and they get 510 hours of free English language instruction and some get access to post-arrival assistance. These extra entitlements are in recognition of their particular needs.

If we let one in, they will come in floods.

Australia is one of the most difficult countries in the world to get to. We have no common borders and there are universal visa requirements and carrier sanctions. Because of this it is highly unlikely that we will ever see the large numbers of asylum seekers other countries experience.

There is also the erroneous perception in the public's mind that everyone in the world wants to come to Australia. We are little known in the total scheme of things and far less of an incentive than countries such as the United States.
It is realistic to expect that asylum seekers will keep coming to Australia but unlikely that there will be "floods" of people with the wherewithal and inclination to make the journey by irregular means.

The best way for Australia to deal with asylum seekers is to process their claims expeditiously. This way those in need of protection receive it and those whose claims are without merit can returned to their country of origin to "send a message" to others in similar circumstances that it is not so easy to get to Australia.

One of the things that is important to recognise in this debate is that any response a country makes must protect those in genuine need of protection ie there must be the presumption of a genuine claim until it is determined to be otherwise, not the presumption that the person is rorting the system.

Refugees cannot possibly contribute anything to us.

It is a myth that all refugees are illiterate peasants. The majority that come to Australia are educated middle class people - whose education, profession or political opinions have drawn them to the attention of the authorities and resulted in their persecution.

By definition refugees are survivors. They have survived because they have the courage, ingenuity and creativity to have done so. These are qualities which we value in Australia. The challenge for Australia is to assist newly arrived refugees to process the experiences of their past and rebuild their lives in Australia. If we do this we will reap the benefits of the qualities and experiences they bring to Australia.

Other myths about refugees and asylum seekers can be found on the website of Edmund Rice Centre

B

BigBlackCock

Just thought I'd compile some statistics from official websites that are government bodies or government-funded agencies. Hopefully this will bring some rationale to the tone of argument here and there.

AUSTRALIA'S REFUGEE PROGRAM
Facts + Stats
MYTHS ABOUT REFUGEES
There is a lot of confusion about refugees: not just about who they are but also about the impact they have on Australian life. Here are just some of the myths:

Charity begins at home: we should help Aborigines and other disadvantaged groups in Australia first!

"Charity" is not something that should be considered in terms of "us" and "them". If we are being responsible members of the human community we should seek ways to assist all those in need.

Refugees take our jobs which is balanced by the contradictory myth: all refugees go on unemployment benefits.

It is true that newly arrived refugees have higher unemployment rates than the community average. This is not unexpected. Amongst the refugee arrivals are people who have been tortured and deeply traumatised. This can interfere with employment. There are also a significant number of entrants whose qualifications are not recognised in Australia and they need time to make adjustments. There is also the issue of learning English. Refugees are entitled to 510 hours of free English language instruction which must be taken in the first 2 years - and it is beneficial that the entrants do this as they are unlikely to do this later.

The fact that refugees "come from behind" in the employment stakes highlights the need for specifically targeted intervention programs that recognise issues such as their trauma, their unrecognised qualifications and their lack of English. Targeted programs that do this have shown that they are very successful at placing refugees in the workforce. If we are to bring refugees to Australia (and it is Australia's decision that we do so) it is important that we recognise their specific needs and address these. If we do this, we will reap the benefits. Most refugees want to work, both to restore their damaged sense of self esteem and to repay what they see as their debt of gratitude to Australia for providing them with protection.

Whether "refugees take our jobs" is the sort of question that has no easy answer. Refugees do compete for jobs but they are also consumers. Because they arrive with nothing they have to purchase household goods, clothing etc, all of which provides jobs for the people who make and sell these commodities.

Refugees have no right to come here and expect us to help them.

Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states: "Everyone has the right to seek and enjoy in other countries freedom from persecution".
It is an accident of birth that we are born in a country where human rights are respected. Do we have a moral right to protect these at the expense of others? This does not mean that Australia alone must take the full burden for protecting the persecuted. It does mean that we have to play a part in an international response that includes a wide spectrum of initiatives from addressing root causes to providing asylum to people whose human rights have been violated.

Refugees are economic migrants who come here to get a better life.

The distinction between refugees and migrants is outlined on the FAQs page.

Refugees get all sorts of handouts from the government.

As will be outlined on the FAQs page, refugees essentially have the same rights and entitlements as permanent residents. They are, however, exempt from the waiting period for Social Security benefits and they get 510 hours of free English language instruction and some get access to post-arrival assistance. These extra entitlements are in recognition of their particular needs.

If we let one in, they will come in floods.

Australia is one of the most difficult countries in the world to get to. We have no common borders and there are universal visa requirements and carrier sanctions. Because of this it is highly unlikely that we will ever see the large numbers of asylum seekers other countries experience.

There is also the erroneous perception in the public's mind that everyone in the world wants to come to Australia. We are little known in the total scheme of things and far less of an incentive than countries such as the United States.
It is realistic to expect that asylum seekers will keep coming to Australia but unlikely that there will be "floods" of people with the wherewithal and inclination to make the journey by irregular means.

The best way for Australia to deal with asylum seekers is to process their claims expeditiously. This way those in need of protection receive it and those whose claims are without merit can returned to their country of origin to "send a message" to others in similar circumstances that it is not so easy to get to Australia.

One of the things that is important to recognise in this debate is that any response a country makes must protect those in genuine need of protection ie there must be the presumption of a genuine claim until it is determined to be otherwise, not the presumption that the person is rorting the system.

Refugees cannot possibly contribute anything to us.

It is a myth that all refugees are illiterate peasants. The majority that come to Australia are educated middle class people - whose education, profession or political opinions have drawn them to the attention of the authorities and resulted in their persecution.

By definition refugees are survivors. They have survived because they have the courage, ingenuity and creativity to have done so. These are qualities which we value in Australia. The challenge for Australia is to assist newly arrived refugees to process the experiences of their past and rebuild their lives in Australia. If we do this we will reap the benefits of the qualities and experiences they bring to Australia.

Other myths about refugees and asylum seekers can be found on the website of Edmund Rice Centre

F

Farm Boy

Well done now how many people do you think are in UN camps?
How many should be given Australian Visa?
And who is the front of the Que?(By this I mean how do we decide who comes to Aus,)
Now comes the rub some people have a bit more drive and money they do not sit on there bums in a UN camp ,Some come in boats some fly in and request sanction . In effect they have got them self to the front of that enormous Que.

B

BigBlackCock

Well done now how many people do you think are in UN camps?
How many should be given Australian Visa?
And who is the front of the Que?(By this I mean how do we decide who comes to Aus,)
Now comes the rub some people have a bit more drive and money they do not sit on there bums in a UN camp ,Some come in boats some fly in and request sanction . In effect they have got them self to the front of that enormous Que.

Surely farmboy, you'd have the wherewithal to realize many people especially refugees are victims of circumstances often beyond their control? There was only a documentary last month (or probably February on second recollection) on the ABC where an Ethiopian woman's husband got murdered in front of her eyes, she was then raped by 5 of the murderers and then forced to eat the genitals of her late husband. The documentary and translater went on to reveal that barely 25 minutes after such a trauma she got up to walk 4 miles to the nearest watering hole to provide water for her 5 children. If she becomes a refugee and can't speak English and is begging for a better life for her children - why not find some element of empathy and pity to help another human soul?

How are you to know who has drive and who doesn't? I'm not sure how old you are but in the 80s many Vietnamese were, to quote you, "sitting on their bums" in UN camps. The vast majority made something of themselves and have now assimilated and even employ Australians from all backgrounds. The same may well happen with these refugees too.

The refugees aren't put in the front of the queue - that's why detention centres have been created, to stop such queue jumping. That's why people are sent back if they're found to not have genuine circumstances.

Sorry, but I'm not sure about the relevance of the Mexican word "Que" but I don't think any of the refugees are from Spain or Mexico.

F

Farm Boy

Thank you Big Black Cock I now Can spell Queue. Now go back read my last post very carefully try to ignore any further mistakes in spelling or grammar, and try to honesty answer the first two questions
We then may be able to see what to do with people who manage to transfer them self out of the pool of 14 million to the very lucky few who become Aussies.

B

BigBlackCock

14 million and they're able to transfer them out?? Wow! You do have a way with interpreting statistics and emotiveness few can match farm boy. However, as you seem to be now intent on taking this personally (and it's spelt "honestly" by the way), I'll leave you as the declared winner and font of all knowledge on the subject.

Have a nice day :D

Happy2

Legend Member
The events happening on Christmas island will only make it harder for genuine people trying to get into this country.
BBC I can see your a passionate supporter of the refugees and good on you But surely this attitude being taken by the men on the island can not be engendering themselves to the general Australian public?

F

Farm Boy

It seems Farm Boys estimation of the number of displaced persons is out of date. this was taken from UNHCR's annual report I think they know there stuff.

The number of people forcibly uprooted by conflict and persecution worldwide stood at 42 million at the end of last year amid a sharp slowdown in repatriation and more prolonged conflicts resulting in protracted displacement. The total includes 16 million refugees and asylum seekers and 26 million internally displaced people uprooted within their own countries, according to UNHCR's annual "Global Trends" report released today.

The new report says 80 percent of the world's refugees are in developing nations, as are the vast majority of internally displaced people – a population with whom the UN refugee agency is increasingly involved. Many have been uprooted for years with no end in sight.

Although the overall total of 42 million uprooted people at year's end represents a drop of about 700,000 over the previous year, new displacement in 2009 – not reflected in the annual report – has already more than offset the decline.

"In 2009, we have already seen substantial new displacements, namely in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Somalia," UN High Commissioner for Refugees AntĂłnio Guterres said. "While some displacements may be short-lived, others can take years and even decades to resolve. We continue to face several longer-term internal displacement situations in places like Colombia, Iraq, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Somalia. Each of these conflicts has also generated refugees who flee beyond their own borders."

The report counts 29 different groups of 25,000 or more refugees in 22 nations who have been in exile for five years or longer and for whom there are no immediate solutions in sight. This means at least 5.7 million refugees are living in limbo.

About 2 million refugees and internally displaced people (IDP) were able to return home in 2008, a decline from the year before. Refugee repatriation (604,000) was down 17 percent, while IDP returns (1.4 million) dropped by 34 percent. Traditionally the largest durable solution for refugees, it was the second-lowest repatriation total in 15 years. The decline in part reflects deteriorating security conditions, namely in Afghanistan and Sudan.

"This is an indication that the large-scale repatriation movements observed in the past have decelerated," the report says, noting that an estimated 11 million refugees have returned home over the past 10 years – most of them with UNHCR assistance.

UNHCR proposed 121,000 individuals for resettlement to third countries in 2008 and more than 67,000 departed to their new homelands with the agency's help.

Of the global total of uprooted people, UNHCR cares for 25 million, including a record 14.4 million IDPs – up from 13.7 million in 2007 -- and 10.5 million refugees. The other 4.7 million refugees are Palestinians under the UN Relief and Works Agency.

B

BigBlackCock

happy2, I'm not A passionate supporter, I'm a neutral observer - and it's not quibbling here, I think it's always important for people to make informed decisions rather than just based on A Current Affair, Today Tonight or (cringe factor infinity here) the Fuck Off We're Full/Pauline Hanson movement.

The behaviour of those chaps on Christmas Island won't endear themselves certainly - but will anyone point out the issues (especially the media) that these people werein amongst other things in a confined area with little else to do - came from rival families etc which, from initial reports, started the argument? It doesn't make it right but perhaps make it understandable.

In some suburbs here we see entire streets argue with each other sometimes with far less publicity - until someone gets killed as a cause of a home invasion or a drug loan.

To be honest, if you read our threads, in a strange way Farm Boy and I are in rough agreement - except from different ends of the stick and we rely and interprete the source of statistics differently.

A

Alecia the Foxx

"To be honest, if you read our threads, in a strange way Farm Boy and I are in rough agreement - except from different ends of the stick and we rely and interprete the source of statistics differently."

I agree, I find BBC's posts and Farmboy's posts both have a compassionate element to them, and I like reading both of their opinions.

F

Farm Boy

No this post ticked me of, deliberate misinterpretation of my post .

The point is there are a lot of people awaiting resentment in the world , For many years under all governments we have taken some and will continue to do so .
What bothers me is the fact that some people with money and advice from relatives living in Australia can fly to Indonesia pay people smuggler who in turn con dirt poor fishermen to ferry them here,

In effect they are short circuiting the established process

Happy2

Legend Member
You know Farmboy After the last couple of days in Christmas island
The poor fishermen are about the only ones I am now feelpng sorry
for.

Happy2

Legend Member
But the opportunity to feed your family. It may very hard to pass up.
Sometimes I dont think we realise how good we have got it.

Gentle Kat

Bronze Member
I pose a question.
If we took a man from 200 years ago and placed him in a cell with a chair. table, and a cot, he would most probably be ok, and feel quite comfortable and supplied with all his needs. This is the life and surroundings he is used to, and probably as much as he had at home.
Take a man of today and put him in that same cell and he will suffer. Where is his feather-down quilt, espresso coffee, thick carpeting, 50 inch plasma, ducted air-con, music, Nike shoes with gel-cushioning, info at his keyboard, mindless distraction, Lady Gaga, hollywood gossip, iphone and xbox?
He will feel as if he slipped into hell without them.

Those men and women who risk everything to escape from countries where torture, degradation, poverty, brutality and horror are everyday occurrences, would fall into the category of our first example, the safety and security of the cells we provide them in our human detention camps must seem like nirvana. Food and warmth, schooling, medicine, and all the other benefits our Australia provides them.

My question is how come they riot, try to escape, seem discontent? Haven't we given them so much more than they are used too? Are they that ungrateful?

I challenge any Australian to smile from inside electric fences, loaded guns pointed in their general directions, confined to one area for year after year, uncertain as to when you're going to be let out, unsure if you might not end up sent back, at the whim of men who by their natures are chosen to be guards of women and children - and I think it must take a specific kind of man to point a gun at a woman or child, and I do not think I would like to have my children around such men... but lucky me I have the choice.

I think we can give them all the modern comforts we can afford, it still will not be enough, as we have seen.

Dignity and freedom is the right of humanity, and as long as we delude ourselves believing we have given it to them "because at least they are safe" then we will always have the memory we were once the lucky country, instead of the reality of being just the same as everybody else.

Australia was always a special place. We weren't founded by the elite, nor settled by exiled religious factions.
We were founded by the poor and unfortunate, by the refugees and unwanted.

To lock away unfortunates smacks of fear, politics, and orwellian ideas.
There is no they and us.
A society is judged not by the standards of today, but by the pages written about it by the future.
And Australia will be thrown into the same contemptible pile of excretion as the US and other assorted "compassionate" countries by those who are to come.

Let the poor buggers out and allow them the dignity that is their human right.

F

Farm Boy

I pose a question.
If we took a man from 200 years ago and placed him in a cell with a chair. table, and a cot, he would most probably be ok, and feel quite comfortable and supplied with all his needs. This is the life and surroundings he is used to, and probably as much as he had at home.
Take a man of today and put him in that same cell and he will suffer. Where is his feather-down quilt, espresso coffee, thick carpeting, 50 inch plasma, ducted air-con, music, Nike shoes with gel-cushioning, info at his keyboard, mindless distraction, Lady Gaga, hollywood gossip, iphone and xbox?
He will feel as if he slipped into hell without them.

Those men and women who risk everything to escape from countries where torture, degradation, poverty, brutality and horror are everyday occurrences, would fall into the category of our first example, the safety and security of the cells we provide them in our human detention camps must seem like nirvana. Food and warmth, schooling, medicine, and all the other benefits our Australia provides them.

My question is how come they riot, try to escape, seem discontent? Haven't we given them so much more than they are used too? Are they that ungrateful?

I challenge any Australian to smile from inside electric fences, loaded guns pointed in their general directions, confined to one area for year after year, uncertain as to when you're going to be let out, unsure if you might not end up sent back, at the whim of men who by their natures are chosen to be guards of women and children - and I think it must take a specific kind of man to point a gun at a woman or child, and I do not think I would like to have my children around such men... but lucky me I have the choice.

I think we can give them all the modern comforts we can afford, it still will not be enough, as we have seen.

Dignity and freedom is the right of humanity, and as long as we delude ourselves believing we have given it to them "because at least they are safe" then we will always have the memory we were once the lucky country, instead of the reality of being just the same as everybody else.

Australia was always a special place. We weren't founded by the elite, nor settled by exiled religious factions.
We were founded by the poor and unfortunate, by the refugees and unwanted.

To lock away unfortunates smacks of fear, politics, and orwellian ideas.
There is no they and us.
A society is judged not by the standards of today, but by the pages written about it by the future.
And Australia will be thrown into the same contemptible pile of excretion as the US and other assorted "compassionate" countries by those who are to come.

Let the poor buggers out and allow them the dignity that is their human right.

Were on did you get the idea that guards stood by with loaded guns , two nights ago the so called poor buggers walked out none were shot ,
Next day commonwealth police were flown in, buildings and infrastructure destroyed still no shots fired.
When staff and non rioting poor buggers were threatened just one ungrateful rioting basted was hit with a sand bag, should have a public flogging just like back at home.

Happy2

Legend Member
I dont know the number of refugees Australia is committed to allow into the country.
But it is a set number I believe. As I said in a earlier post. My neighbours are African
( Native Indigenous? Never quite term to use) from Zimbabwe. They have said they went through all the correct procedures, and waited 7yrs before getting here.
By coming in through other channels are the men on Christmas island taking
places away from people like them?
They are also highly qualified but are working as farm labourers Until their
qualifications are up to Australian standardo or at least proven to be of a equal standard

Gentle Kat

Bronze Member
Were on did you get the idea that guards stood by with loaded guns , two nights ago the so called poor buggers walked out none were shot ,
Next day commonwealth police were flown in, buildings and infrastructure destroyed still no shots fired.
When staff and non rioting poor buggers were threatened just one ungrateful rioting basted was hit with a sand bag, should have a public flogging just like back at home.

You mean there are no guns at a detention centre? That is ludicrous and naive hun.
And I suppose you also believe cameramen were allowed to roam freely without censor, nor without an official standing over their shoulder too?

I wonder how you would feel spending years there, no matter how comfortable your "cell".

I'm honestly not having a go at you, but it is easy to be judgmental from the comfort of home.... but I know if someone erected walls around it and forced me to stay there for years it might make me feel a little differently, somewhat angry and upset.
The issue isn't whether they came here illegally - yes they did, but they are here now and do we treat them however begrudgingly with respect for their courage, or show that even dressed as friends we are no different than anyone else.

F

Farm Boy

You mean there are no guns at a detention centre? That is ludicrous and naive hun.
And I suppose you also believe cameramen were allowed to roam freely without censor, nor without an official standing over their shoulder too?

I wonder how you would feel spending years there, no matter how comfortable your "cell".

I'm honestly not having a go at you, but it is easy to be judgmental from the comfort of home.... but I know if someone erected walls around it and forced me to stay there for years it might make me feel a little differently, somewhat angry and upset.
The issue isn't whether they came here illegally - yes they did, but they are here now and do we treat them however begrudgingly with respect for their courage, or show that even dressed as friends we are no different than anyone else.

Your comments are idiotic Kat No one were threaten By armed guards asylum seekers are not locked up for years And your fellow feelgood tree hugging leftwing bleeding heart green socialist at the A B C would scream long and loud at any censorship and there excellent cameraman go wherever they like.

Gentle Kat

Bronze Member
Your comments are idiotic Kat No one were threaten By armed guards asylum seekers are not locked up for years And your fellow feelgood tree hugging leftwing bleeding heart green socialist at the A B C would scream long and loud at any censorship and there excellent cameraman go wherever they like.

You are absolutely right hun.
Being shown the error of my ways I bow out gracefully.
If I had known you personally oversaw the whole operation, had in depth knowledge of detention procedure, were called to plan the federal police's actions, had written policy for the ABC, and interviewed the cameramen as to the freedom you demanded they be given, I would never have dreamed to question you.

I want to be the first to signup to live in a cell.
It sounds wonderful.
Thank you for enlightening me.

A

Alecia the Foxx

You are absolutely right hun.
Being shown the error of my ways I bow out gracefully.
If I had known you personally oversaw the whole operation, had in depth knowledge of detention procedure, were called to plan the federal police's actions, had written policy for the ABC, and interviewed the cameramen as to the freedom you demanded they be given, I would never have dreamed to question you.

I want to be the first to signup to live in a cell.
It sounds wonderful.
Thank you for enlightening me.

Ha ha ha ha! Not a bad reply for a tree hugging left wing greenie socialist, of which I am one of too. :eek:ccasion14