..Historical Events

T

Tania Admin

There are many other natural wonders in central Australia Alice Springs with the dry Todd river Hall gap and the miners Haven kalgoories super pit.
I wouldn't class Kalgoorlie as Central Australia.

There is a lot of evidence pointing to the dingo. More evidence now than when the trial took place. Even indigenous trackers have stated their case for the dingo.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
Azaria.
I was selling newspapers after school when it happened. And when the courtcase was on we worked later and sold so many more.

I still believe a dingo did it.

I was working on a mine at the time and no one believed the Dingo did it .

I think the reason for this prior to the 60s Dingos were shot on sight and some places they still are , Dingos not being stupid keeped there distance .
What happened as the general population became more affluent more and more people came to the outback due to better roads and more suitable cars becoming available

What then happen is thousands of city slickers turned up in the out back none of them shot at Dingos that in fact provided a new food source.
Dingos not being stupid hung around and then things changed A baby was stolen kids and mine workers were bitten and some deaths were recorded .

Now it is blazingly obvious that Dingos will eat you if given the chance .

Goodstuff36 Bon truc in french

Goodstuff. Bon truc in french
Legend Member
I was working on a mine at the time and no one believed the Dingo did it .

I think the reason for this prior to the 60s Dingos were shot on sight and some places they still are , Dingos not being stupid keeped there distance .
What happened as the general population became more affluent more and more people came to the outback due to better roads and more suitable cars becoming available

What then happen is thousands of city slickers turned up in the out back none of them shot at Dingos that in fact provided a new food source.
Dingos not being stupid hung around and then things changed A baby was stolen kids and mine workers were bitten and some deaths were recorded .

Now it is blazingly obvious that Dingos will eat you if given the chance .
Totaly disagree as Aboriginal tribes have lived with dingos for hundreds of years a blue healer is part dingo thats the dog I had from birth till 9 years old although Collingwood supporters would take a baby as there's a few cannabulls amongst them.

T

Tania Admin

Totaly disagree as Aboriginal tribes have lived with dingos for hundreds of years a blue healer is part dingo thats the dog I had from birth till 9 years old although Collingwood supporters would take a baby as there's a few cannabulls amongst them.
They are definitely biters and definitely will attack humans. Even indigenous people say that.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member

Disagree if you must GS however The Aboriginals could live in Australia and thrive White City slickers would starve to death and be Crow tucker in no time , save those the Dingos ate .

T

Tania Admin

Not impressed with your reply, @Phoebe , that I deleted. We have never tolerated racism on the forum and we sure won't now.

Please stop pushing buttons because you really are going to far 😡

T

Tania Admin

July 19th

This is dated back a lot further than most of my history posts and definitely goes into a different tangent and totally fascinates me. But what an absolutely amazing find this was and wow did it change things. Finally we could understand a whole lot more about past civilisations due to this find.

The Rosetta Stone is discovered, holding the key to unlock the secrets of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.

The Rosetta Stone is a dark grey-pinkish stone of granite, although it was originally thought to have been basalt. It was discovered on 19 July 1799 by French Captain Pierre-François Bouchard during Napoleon Bonaparte's campaign in Egypt. The irregularly shaped stone inscribed with ancient writing was found near the town of Rosetta, approximately 60km north of Alexandria.

The stone contained fragments of passages written in three different scripts: Greek, Egyptian hieroglyphics and Demotic Egyptian. The Greek passage stated that all three scripts were identical in meaning. Because Greek was well known, the stone was the key to deciphering the hieroglyphs, a language that had been considered dead for two thousand years. Twenty five years later, French Egyptologist Jean Francois Champollion successfully deciphered the hieroglyphics, using the Greek as a guide. This enabled further study of Egyptian hieroglyphics which had previously been indecipherable. It was the first time that the world became aware of the depth of the history and culture of ancient Egypt.

1,,,.jpg
1,,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

During the Middle Ages in Europe (5th - 15th century), rich people built toilets called 'garderobes' on the walls of castles. A hole in the bottom let everything just drop into a pit. Even better, waste went directly into a river.

FB_IMG_1595166611008.jpg FB_IMG_1595166614014.jpg FB_IMG_1595166616870.jpg FB_IMG_1595166620367.jpg

T

Tania Admin

July 20th

How amazing would he have felt?! The adrenalin, the exhilaration at being the 1st person to walk on the moon!

At 10:56 p.m. EDT, American astronaut Neil Armstrong, 240,000 miles from Earth, speaks these words to more than a billion people listening at home: “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” Stepping off the lunar landing module Eagle, Armstrong became the first human to walk on the surface of the moon.

“Buzz” Aldrin joined him on the moon’s surface at 11:11 p.m., and together they took photographs of the terrain, planted a U.S. flag, ran a few simple scientific tests, and spoke with President Richard M. Nixon via Houston. By 1:11 a.m. on July 21, both astronauts were back in the lunar module and the hatch was closed. The two men slept that night on the surface of the moon, and at 1:54 p.m. the Eagle began its ascent back to the command module. Among the items left on the surface of the moon was a plaque that read: “Here men from the planet Earth first set foot on the moon–July 1969 A.D–We came in peace for all mankind.”

1,.jpg
1,,,.jpg

Attachments

• 1,,.jpg
    1,,.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 0
T

Tania Admin

July 21st

I find the gesture behind this so huge. A change towards a much better future. It was momentous to see the tears flowing as this song hit the hearts of so many. Wish I had actually been there in person. It doesn't feel like 30 years ago.

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is performed where the Berlin Wall once stood.

The concert was staged on vacant terrain between Potsdamer Platz and the Brandenburg Gate, a location that was part of the former "no man's land" of the Berlin Wall.

"I did an interview a couple of years ago for a guy called Redbeard…" Waters recalled. "He said, 'Would you ever perform The Wall again on stage?' And I said, 'No'… Indoors, it made no sense financially; it's too expensive. And, as it's partially an attack on the inherently greedy nature of stadium rock shows, it would be wrong to do it in stadiums… I said, 'Well, I might do it outdoors if they ever take the wall down in Berlin.'… The Memorial Fund was in a council meeting, and felt they needed some kind of an event to focus attention on it… So I agreed to have a meeting with Leonard Cheshire. And I was very impressed, and said I would do what I could, although I thought it was very unlikely that it would come off… Then, in November [1989], when the wall started coming down, we started negotiating."

The show had a sell-out crowd of over 350,000 people. Right before the performance started the gates were opened which enabled at least another 100,000 people to watch.
1,.jpg
1,,.jpg
1,,,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

July 22nd

I have yet to see this supposedly really 💩 movie but I will say Attack Of the Killer
Tomatoes is most definitely the worst movie I have EVER seen.

Imagine: a movie so bad, so awful, that it has become a cult classic for many film fans. You might have a few of your own to rattle off, but they're unlikely to be as bad as the comical science fiction film Plan 9 from Outer Space, directed by Ed Wood and released in 1959.

The plot itself is comical: extraterrestrials are hoping to prevent humanity from creating a doomsday device that could destroy the universe. Plan 9 refers to the alien's attempts to resurrect Earth's dead and cause chaos, thereby hoping to make humanity listen to them.

Even for its time, the special effects used in the movie were considered horrendous, and the movie also contained several technical mistakes (including the visibility of the boom microphone in one shot and an actor clearly reading from a script on his lap.) Critics and fans alike have savaged the movie's bad dialogue and plot.

1,.jpg

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
What a Great movie, a masterpiece of cinema. Such wonderful performances and such a great Director he won;-
Golden Turkey Award
When something is so------so-------so BAD, it is just Brilliant.

T

Tania Admin

July 23rd

What a total legend and how awesome would she have felt knowing she was the 1st?! Amazing achievement.

Yvette Williams (later Corlett) won the long jump to become New Zealand’s first female Olympic medallist.

Thanks to amateur radio operators who were monitoring shortwave broadcasts, New Zealanders who stayed up through the night were able to follow her progress.

After leading the qualifying round with a jump of 6.16 m, Williams began the final round with two no-jumps. Facing elimination, she leaped 5.9 m to make the top six and earn three more jumps. Her fourth jump was outstanding. At 6.24 m (20 feet 5¾ inches), it was just 1 cm short of the world record. Williams had set a new Olympic record and won gold for New Zealand.

New Zealand International Olympic Committee member Sir Arthur Porritt presented Williams with her gold medal. The New Zealand flag was raised and the Finnish military band played both ‘God Save the Queen’ and ‘God Defend New Zealand’.

It was to be 40 years before New Zealand celebrated another female Olympic gold medallist – windsurfer Barbara Kendall at Barcelona

1,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

July 24th

Okay, it was the Dry Season so it wouldn't have been wet but it would have been nice and warm compared to what John was used to, that's for sure! And my math (which could be wrong because it was my worst subject at school) they would have missed all of the Wet Season.

John McDouall Stuart and his men stand on the northern coast of Australia after his final, successful crossing of the continent.

John McDouall Stuart was a Scottish-born explorer who came to South Australia at the age of 23, where he was initially employed by explorer Charles Sturt in the Survey Department of the young colony. Stuart learnt a great deal about exploration when he accompanied Sturt on an expedition into central Australia in 1844. Despite both Sturt and Stuart being affected by scurvy, this expedition fired Stuart's ambition to be the first to cross the continent from south to north.

Stuart led numerous expeditions into central Australia, with five being his determined attempts to reach the north coast. Although he was initially unsuccessful in breaking past central Australia, he and his men were the first to see the centre of the continent. He finally succeeded on his fifth attempt, an expedition which was financed by the South Australian Government, leaving Adelaide on 8 January 1862. Stuart and his men stood at the water's edge at Chambers Bay on the northern coast on 24 July 1862.

1,,.jpg

Attachments

• 1,.jpg
    1,.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 0
T

Tania Admin

July 25th

What an amazing time we live in, where in a country so dominated by male politics this lady came to be in leadership for a 5 year term

Pratibha Patil was sworn in as India's first female president.

The 72-year-old Patil, dressed in a white and green saree draped over her head, took the oath of office inside parliament’s packed and ornate central hall, promising to uphold the constitution and devote herself to the people of India.

She then received a 21-gun salute.

“Today India stands at the threshold of a new era of progress,” she said. “We must make sure that every section of society, particularly the weak and disadvantaged, are equal partners and beneficiaries in the development process.”

1,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

26 July

I highly commend this lady. She did so much for women's rights, work places and all women's issues in New Zealand. Then when her time was up she went on to the UN to continue her contributions.

Ann Hercus becomes first Minister of Women's Affairs

She was also appointed Minister of Social Welfare and Minister of Police, becoming the first woman to hold the latter portfolio. Hercus was tasked with establishing Women’s Affairs as a stand-alone ministry at a time when there was opposition to the development of an independent agency focusing on women’s issues.

Hercus used her leadership skills and standing in Parliament to advance women’s interests. She contributed to a number of policy achievements that benefited New Zealand women, including provision for part-time employment in the public service and schools; changes to sexual violence legislation and increased funding for women’s refuge centres; child protection and parental leave legislation; and increased recognition for unpaid women workers.

1,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

July 27th

Travelling on those ships would have been a nightmare, even for the wealthy. Then arriving in Australia, so unlike England, would have taken some getting used to. I wonder if there were ladies of the night among that 1st ship load?

The first ship carrying passengers under the Assisted Emigration Scheme arrives in Fremantle, Western Australia.

Unlike in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania, the transportation of convicts to the colony of Swan River (Western Australia) required that there be an equal number of free immigrants. It was many years after white settlement of the western territory that convicts were sent to Swan River. In an attempt to encourage more free settlement of the remote colony, and to balance the number of free settlers and convicts, free immigrants were given passage and settlement costs at the English Government's expense.

Besides the crew of 33, there were 250 free immigrants aboard the Sophia, the first ship to arrive under the Assisted Emigration Scheme. The ship departed Plymouth, southern England, on 27 April 1850 and arrived at Australia on 27 July 1850.

1,,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

July 29th

I remember watching the wedding on TV, it was so fairy tale, so beautiful and caught the hearts of the world. Princess Diana was a special lady and though her marriage to taxi ears didn't last, her legacy did. Marrying into the Royal family enabled Diana to do so much for charities that would otherwise would have remained unheard of.I don't believe any other 1 woman has made the impact that Diana did. She truly was the People's Princess. May she RIP

Prince Charles marries Lady Diana

Nearly one billion television viewers in 74 countries tune in to witness the marriage of Prince Charles, heir to the British throne, to Lady Diana Spencer, a young English schoolteacher. Married in a grand ceremony at St. Paul’s Cathedral in the presence of 2,650 guests, the couple’s romance was for the moment the envy of the world. Their first child, Prince William, was born in 1982, and their second, Prince Harry, in 1984.

Before long, however, the fairy-tale couple grew apart, an experience that was particularly painful under the ubiquitous eyes of the world’s tabloid media. Diana and Charles announced a separation in 1992, though they continued to carry out their royal duties. In August 1996, two months after Queen Elizabeth II urged the couple to divorce, the prince and princess reached a final agreement. In exchange for a generous settlement, and the right to retain her apartments at Kensington Palace and her title of “princess,” Diana agreed to relinquish the title of “Her Royal Highness” and any future claims to the British throne.

1,.jpg
1,,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

July 30th

As I've mentioned before, on my history posts, I do try where possible, to post about women's achievements. This wonderful lady did so much for womens medicine and women's rights in India. She deserves accolade.

Dr. S.Muthulakshmi Reddi, first women M.A.L.A.S, was born.

Muttulakshmi Reddi was appointed to the Madras Legislative Council in 1926. This nomination marked the beginning of her lifelong effort to "correct the balance for women by removing social abuses and working for equality in moral standards″. She was a women's activist and social reformer.

She had a number of firsts to her name: the first female student to be admitted into a men's college, the first woman House Surgeon in the Government Maternity and Ophthalmic Hospital, the first woman Legislator in British India, the first Chairperson of the State Social Welfare Advisory Board, the first woman Deputy President of the Legislative Council, and the first Alderwoman of the Madras Corporation Avvai Home

Reddy was born in the princely state of Pudukkottai of Tamil Nadu. In spite of various constraints faced by girls in India of her time, she completed her higher education and was admitted into the medical profession. In 1907, she joined the Madras Medical College, where she achieved a brilliant academic record. With several gold medals and prizes to her credit, Reddy graduated in 1912 to become one of the first female doctors in India.

1,.jpg

Down boy

Gold Member
Always been a fan.
I got her autograph at Kooyong Australian open circa 1978.
such a gracious person.

T

Tania Admin

July 31st

I've seen footage of this woman play. What A Legend! And not only was she a great sports woman but an outstanding advocater for indigenous sport.

One of Australia's greatest tennis players, Evonne Goolagong, is born.

Evonne Fay Goolagong Cawley was born at Griffith, New South Wales, on 31 July 1951, one of eight children. As a professional tennis player, Goolagong was the first female Aboriginal Australian to achieve prominence in a sport. Goolagong's tennis career includes 92 pro tournament victories. She won the Australian Open four times, Wimbledon twice, the French Open once, and she represented Australia seven times in the Federation Cup, winning in 1971, 1973 and 1974. In 1971, she was named the Associated Press Female Athlete of the Year. Goolagong retired in 1982, but has still maintained her links with competition tennis in Australia, being appointed captain of the Federation Cup team for 2002

1,,.jpg
1,.jpg