..Historical Events

T

Tania Admin

August 1st

Such a personal and deep account of what was a horrible part of world history 😢

Anne Frank's last diary entry; 3 days later she is arrested

German born Dutch Jewish national Anne Frank and her family went into hiding in Amsterdam in 1942 to escape persecution under Nazi occupation.

Betrayed two years later they were sent to concentration camps where Anne later died from Typhus.

Anne's diary from June 1942 to August 1944 is regarded as the most famous personal account of the Holocaust and has been turned into a play and film.

1,,.jpg
1,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

August 6th

Oh My! My curiosity is so perked! I want to see this show. Hmmm, hopefully YouTube can help me out here!

"Oh! Calcutta!" revival closes at Edison Theater NYC after 5959 performances, Broadway’s longest-running musical revue

Unsuspecting theater goers might have assumed from the title that the revue was concerned with events based in the Indian city of Calcutta (renamed Kolkata in 2001). If so, they would soon have had their eyes opened.

Nothing at all to do with India, the show was a series of unrelated, but sex-dominated sketches featuring a totally nude cast, both male and female. The title came from a pun on the French “O quel cul t’as” meaning “what an ass you have”. The audience would have had ample opportunity to test out the claim as every feature of both male and female anatomy was put on display throughout the show.

The revue was staged at the Roundhouse, a circular building in north London constructed in 1847 to house a railway turntable and converted into a theatre in 1964. Anxious to establish whether or not “Oh! Calcutta!” was being performed on the right lines, officers from the Obscene Publications Squad joined the audience for one of the early performances.

They recommended a prosecution for obscenity. As a result, the Director of Public Prosecutions asked a team, including two retired headmistresses, to give their verdict. They decided that the show was not obscene. After that there was no looking back, so to speak, and the revue transferred to the heart of traditional theatreland in London’s West End, turning into a box office triumph.

“Oh! Calcutta” was first performed on Broadway in New York, a year before it opened in London. It became the fourth longest-running production ever on Broadway, after “Chicago,” “A Chorus Line” and “The Lion King.”

1,.jpg

Lingus

Legend Member
Perhaps this descriptive piece will assist, including a 9 minute video (also available to view on YouTube) :

Link not working so taken down

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tania Admin

Perhaps this descriptive piece will assist, including a 9 minute video (also available to view on YouTube) :

Link not working so taken down
Omg That is awesome. Thank you soooo much for posting that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tania Admin

August 7th

Actually quite a funny movie and I only just realised it was the 1st of it's kind to come out of Hollywood. I love movies that show the comical side to other ethnicitys, for example "My Fat Greek Wedding".

"Crazy Rich Asians" first Hollywood film with all-Asian cast, starring Constance Wu, Henry Golding and Michelle Yeoh premieres in Los Angeles

Crazy Rich Asians is the outrageously funny debut about three super-rich, pedigreed Chinese families and the gossip, backbiting, and scheming that occurs when the heir to one of the most massive fortunes in Asia brings home his ABC (American-born Chinese) girlfriend to the wedding of the season.

1,.jpg
1,,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

August 13th

This lady was born on this day and what an amazing lady she was! Strong willed and determined that's for sure.

A leading suffragist and abolitionist, Lucy Stone dedicated her life to battling inequality on all fronts. She was the first Massachusetts woman to earn a college degree and she defied gender norms when she famously wrote marriage vows to reflect her egalitarian beliefs and refused to take her husband’s last name.

Born on August 13, 1818 in rural Massachusetts, Stone was one of Francis and Hannah Matthews Stone’s nine children. Her parents were farmers with deep roots in New England. The first Stones arrived in 1635 pursuing religious freedom and her grandfather was a Patriot captain in the American Revolution. She was raised in the Congregational Church and embraced her father’s anti-slavery zeal.

Much brighter than her brothers, Stone was frustrated by the inequality that encouraged them to attend college while discouraging women from becoming educated. At age sixteen, she worked as a teacher, saving her money so she could attend college. In 1839, she spent a semester at Mount Holyoke, but was forced to return home due to a sister’s illness. Then in 1843, she attended Oberlin College in Ohio. Even progressive Oberlin, however, did not permit Stone to explore her interest in public speaking. When she graduated in 1847, she declined the “honor” of writing a commencement speech that would be read by a man.

Almost thirty when she completed her education, Stone’s career prospects seemed dim since few professions were open to women. Renowned abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison, however, hired her for his American Anti-Slavery Society. She wrote and delivered abolitionist speeches, while also becoming active in women’s rights. Like other female abolitionists, Stone was often heckled and at least once was physically attacked by a mob. Nevertheless, she proved so popular that soon she was out-earning many male lecturers.

1,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

August 18th

Seems cyclists have been bullied for a long time. I can't imagine people being so small minded as to jeer at women for riding, let alone push them off. Sadly some things haven't changed though now it's all cyclists and not just women.

First women's cycling club in Australasia formed

Cycling enthusiasts gathered in Christchurch to discuss the formation of a cycling club for women. The male president of the Bicycle Touring Club presided over the meeting, but it was Alice Burn who moved that a women’s club should be formed under the name ‘The Atalanta Cycling Club’. It was hoped the club would make cycling popular with women and reduce prejudice towards female cyclists.

The development of the modern bicycle in the 1880s promised women more freedom to travel without the need for a male chaperone. Cycling opened up new social worlds but was not without its dangers. Women cyclists were sometimes jeered at, abused and even pushed off their bicycles. Members of the club sometimes cycled with brothers or husbands for protection against such attacks.

1,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

August 31st

Normally I wouldn't post a negative such as a death but I think we can all agree that Lady Diana left a hole in everyone when she passed. She was beautiful, kind and such a huge advocate for so many charities. I felt like I knew her personally and shed a few tears when I realised she truly had passed. It seemed so surreal. Her passing affected people in every country around the world. She was very much a symbol of love and kindness.

Shortly after midnight on August 31, 1997, Diana, Princess of Wales—affectionately known as "the People’s Princess"—dies in a car crash in Paris. She was 36. Her boyfriend, the Egyptian-born socialite Dodi Fayed, and the driver of the car, Henri Paul, died as well.

Princess Diana was one of the most popular public figures in the world. Her death was met with a massive outpouring of grief. Mourners began visiting Kensington Palace immediately, leaving bouquets at the home where the princess, also known as Lady Di, would never return. Piles of flowers reached some 30 feet from the palace's gate.

Diana and Dodi—who had been vacationing in the French Riviera—arrived in Paris earlier the previous day. They left the Ritz Paris just after midnight, intending to go to Dodi’s apartment on the Rue Arsène Houssaye. As soon as they departed the hotel, a swarm of paparazzi on motorcycles began aggressively tailing their car. About three minutes later, the driver lost control and crashed into a pillar at the entrance of the Pont de l'Alma tunnel.

Dodi and the driver were pronounced dead at the scene. Diana was taken to the Pitié-Salpêtrière hospital and declared dead at 6:00 am. (A fourth passenger, Diana’s bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones, was seriously injured but survived.) Diana's former husband Prince Charles, as well as her sisters and other members of the Royal Family, arrived in Paris that morning. Diana’s body was then taken back to London.

Like much of her life, her death was a full-blown media sensation, and the subject of many conspiracy theories. At first, the paparazzi hounding the car were blamed for the crash, but later it was revealed that the driver was under the influence of alcohol and prescription drugs. A formal investigation concluded the paparazzi did not cause the collision.

1,,,,.jpg 1,,,.jpg 1,,.jpg 1,.jpg

sparky

Legend Member
I still remember I was banging my ex early on a Sunday morning when we heard it on the radio
Kinda killed the mood a little

Numpty

Illegitimi non carborundum
Legend Member
I was living in Florida at the time.
One Of my crew (a gay irishman) came to me in tears about it.

I like the royal family, wasn’t to pleased from memory 😬👎

markeys

Foundation Member
it seemed a little jarring to hear she would of been 60 this year,
but it wasn't a conspiracy murder
9/11 was not a conspiracy either

T

Tania Admin

October 7th 1950

This lady truly did so much for so many disadvantaged people. If only more people were as charitable, our world would be a much better place.

Mother Teresa, started Missionaries of Charity, in Calcutta.

Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity, that had over 4,500 nuns and was active in 133 countries in 2012. The congregation manages homes for people who are dying of HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis. It also runs soup kitchens, dispensaries, mobile clinics, children's and family counselling programmes, as well as orphanages and schools. Members take vows of chastity, poverty, and obedience, and also profess a fourth vow – to give "wholehearted free service to the poorest of the poor."

1,.jpg

T

Tania Admin

1974: An imaginative April Fools prank. Local resident Porky Bickar, using a pile of old tyres, started a fire on the dormant volcano Mt Edgecombe, Alaska. Locals went in to a panic with the fear of an impending eruption.
FB_IMG_1618092390118.jpg

Goodstuff36 Bon truc in french

Goodstuff. Bon truc in french
Legend Member
October 7th 1950

This lady truly did so much for so many disadvantaged people. If only more people were as charitable, our world would be a much better place.

Mother Teresa, started Missionaries of Charity, in Calcutta.

Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity, that had over 4,500 nuns and was active in 133 countries in 2012. The congregation manages homes for people who are dying of HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis. It also runs soup kitchens, dispensaries, mobile clinics, children's and family counselling programmes, as well as orphanages and schools. Members take vows of chastity, poverty, and obedience, and also profess a fourth vow – to give "wholehearted free service to the poorest of the poor."

View attachment 106970
She was a wonderful person and her organisation helps anyone