Hey Hey Its Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnedon2

Foundation Member
Thought I would start a new thread to see what the members of this forum thoughts are on the Harry Connick Jnr fiasco with Hey Hey Its Saturday this week.
Personaly I thought it was OK and in keeping with the Aussie sense of humour.

free_eagle

Silver Member
I didn't seem any harm about the skit. It was a MJ tribute. As for good old Harry, it was only a few years ago he did a parody impersonating a Black Preacher. So come figure, he's a hypocrite.

SubNymphet

Tantalizing Temptress
Gold Member
i thought the skit was totally in bad taste... however as usual every one has over reacted... it wasnt racist as far as im concerned, but to do a skit like that with someone who passed away so recently... its just bad form...

Fudd

Foundation Member
....well, put Sub...in my opinion you've hit the nail on the head. Apart from whether or not this was disrespectful to MJ's memory, the real issue was that the trash network (Seven) gave this story life in its attempt to have a dig at a rival trash network (Nine)......don't get me wrong, Nine does the same thing too.

This was just a cheap attempt by Seven to have a crack at Nine and, as usual, the media in general got sucked into a nothing story and this just took off. As for Connick, he may well have a moral issue with this but, let's get real, he comes from a country just as rascist (if not more - the Fox network is a shocker) as any other country.

Frankly, I have no time for the commercial media in this country....it's a joke as it panders to the lowest level of "intelligence" in our population in its quest for ratings and profits.

Fudd

svengali

Foundation Member
Amen to Fudd and SubNymphette's comments.

"Blackface" comedy is as old as the hills. For years white singers painted their faces black and warbled "Mammy, Mammy" in "tribute" to the great Al Jolson and no-one took it as anything other than entertainment.

However, Hey Hey's timing majorly sucked - you wouldn't have done an Al Jolson impersonation a couple of months after his death either.

Hey Hey was never more than televised trash and this feeble attempt to breath new life into its rotting corpse deserves only to be ignored so that it can slip quietly away to the T.V. graveyard where it and Daryl Somers belongs.

C

corneus

It was just shit like most of what passes for humour on hey Hey It's Saturday. meh

Bluegrass9

Diamond Member
Alas humour is a strange beast. What can be funny when told another time in a different situation can be not funny at all. The show is very slapstick and its humour not very clever but the show is mostly light entertainment. They do not intend to upset anybody but just have a laugh.

I watched a little and when saw the skit thought some would find it in bad taste. However they did rectify the problem in a very efficient way.
:walk:

chris

sees the best in everyone
Foundation Member
most people gotto realise is that what we got away with 20 yr ago, we cannot do now as soon as we get that we can move on and talk about why such a beautiful day rained lol

golfball

Silver Member
Nice to see Harry Connick Jnr as a judge on Aussie Idol, stating that he had never judged anyone before
What about Hey Hey, suddenly forgotten ?

C

Curious1

Harry is from Southern America where black face comedy easily offends.
I feel that while he is here in Australia, he should accept our level of humour...especially as its a show for AUSTRALIA...not Americas Deep south.

svengali

Foundation Member
Dammit!! Now we have gone and done it. This wretched excuse for entertainment is going to be inflicted on us yet again in another "encore". Fortunately it is on Saturday night when most people go out so please, do the right thing and don't tune in, especially if you have a people-meter or we will be stuck with it and its half-witted host permanently.

puddle

Silver Member
I feel that while he is here in Australia, he should accept our level of humour...especially as its a show for AUSTRALIA...not Americas Deep south.

It's a show for some Australians, and only some Australians found that particular sketch to be funny.

I think the rest of us just thought it makes our country look like some kind of backwater that doesn't quite get it.

C

Curious1

I think people just take shit too serious these days.
Have a laugh and life will be so much more enjoyable :D

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
think that everything that needs to be said has been said

and now i will lock this thread

thanx for yr input :) :)

John :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.