xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
RR well put but what is yr point ,

is it the Global warming

is it the way we live

or is it the do-gooders that yr not happy with :) :) ???

R

RoadRunner

.--------------------

M

MuchEnlightenment

I am one of the growing number of sceptics, I have lived long enough to have seen days as hot as we are having in the eastern states, to have seen the extreme cold days that we had over winter and also the Oil crisis to drive up prices. Yep I drive a 4 x 4 and love traversing dirt tracks that lead nowhere. I also own a race car that guzzles fuel like there is no tomorrow, A scooter that gets me back and forth to work, a BBQ that uses LPG to cook my snags and a big double door fridge.

OK admitedly I have always religiously recycled plastic, cans, newspapers and this was long before it became fashionable. We have always reused plastic shopping bags until they die and they become rubbish bags.

What I cannot get is all these people out there jumping on the fashion wagon telling me that I cannot drive my 4x4 around the city/country..If these people refused to use a car and travelled by horse and cart and then by sail to holiday destinations rather than by fossil fuel guzzling Jets then they have the right to tell me; otherwise just shut the %$^& up and get a life.

Thats my rant for the day..great thread by the way :eek:ccasion14

svengali

Foundation Member
I, too am heartily sick of the left-wing beardie-wierdies of the green movement who would have us all go back to living in caves if they had their way. Global warming is by no means a scientifically proven fact and has as many scientists against it as for it, it is just that the doom and gloom brigade are more interesting characters and get more press as a result. They also give populist politicians like Kevin 07 another lever to wring out a few critical swinging votes. Add a few celebrities (dunno what their qualifications are) and you have a powerful political power source.The truth is out there, Scully, but we will never hear all of it - just the strident screaming of the noisy extremists.

Don't get me wrong, I hate waste and wasteful practises. I recycle everything I can and am all for showing respect for the natural environment. Let's just keep a bit of sanity and healthy scepticism in the debate.

B

Badnewsbear

Even if we stop driving our 4x4s , never fly again , sell the plasma and turn off the fridge and go live in a cave , whats the point ! China is booming , all 5 billion of the once poor peasants has traded his bicycle for a toyota and installed a plasma and are chewing thru fossil fuel like we chew thru cornflakes and India is doing the same . Ask your average chinaman or Indian what Global warming is , they woundnt have a clue , and as half of them have just got there first car ever , do you think they want to give it back , I think not . No , keep your landcruisers , fly on holiday and leave the aircon on , WHILE YOU CAN , no one else is giving up the good life so why should we , jeez this is gonna cause a stir .......The Bear :violent5:

L

Link83

Go Getum: All this global warming talk is just garbage. Not even the scientists agree whether it is real or not.
Scientist: Yes, that may be true. We scientists are not sure if the fluctuations we see are actually caused by carbon emmisions.
Go Getum: So I am going to go about busily making max profits. So we use a little fuel in the process. You can't sway for sure that this will be bad.
Scientist: But the theory....
Go Getum: Theory, Schmeory. Show me the proof and then I will change. But until then, we just keep making profits and burning fuel.
Scientist: But if the theory is right then by the time we see the change for sure it will be too late. The atmosphere will overheat and most of life as we know it will be wiped out.
Go Getum: Theory is bunk. You guys are just scare mongering. I am prepared to take that risk. If we don't make the money, somebody else will.
Scientist: But you don't understand, if the theory is right, there is nowhere else for us to go. There is no other planet Earth.
Go Getum: What would you know! Go back to your books...
Scientist: [Waves arms in despair and goes out surfing before the oceans evaporate]

C

corneus

The problem with the public response to global warming is that while the greenhouse gases increase there is a corresponding rise in misinformation, scare-mongering and just plain bullshit. If anyone has even the slightest bit of interest, read the information here from the CSIRO. It is a little less strident than you might find in the Sunday Times.. ::) Greenhouse: questions and answers

The facts seem to be that it is happening, it is part of a natural cycle but we ARE contributing to it, and in the grand scheme of things there ain't much we in Australia can do to make any difference. The total contribution of greenhouse gases by Australia is so low that even if we cut our emissions in half it would mean jack-shit to the outcome.Link is broken, so taken down.

There is also a very interesting video on the link below, which explains how most people seem to have an opinion on what is and isn't true scientifically, when the reality is that they don't have a clue.

Link is broken, so taken down.

T

TemptMe

Wow by cleaning up our act by 50% we will improve the state of emissions by 0.75%...No wonder the government doesn't get serious::)

Petronius

Silver Member
It seems to me that global warming is pretty much factual. I don't think it really matters whether it's because of carbon emissions from people, carbon emissions from volcanoes, or the fact that we're coming out of an ice age. The question now is what should we invest our resources in. It seems silly to me to try and do a Canute act and hold back the tide - better to use our economic resources to figure out ways to live with what's going to happen.

As the slogan says - Earth First! We'll strip mine the other planets later.

M

Mary Anne PA

Well, point one, Global Warming is a media coined term that was created for sensational headlines. As to what the changing weather patterns may or may not do is not known by anyone. What scientific communities do agree on however is that our world is going through a period of Climate Change as a result of there simply being more energy within the atmospheric model. To the layman more energy must mean more heat and the "Global Warming" sensation was born. However just as some areas are warming, others are cooling.

Now I drive a 3.5l V6 myself and I have to say that no one has ever made me feel guilty one bit about driving my children to school in it or made me feel guilty for using an aircraft or anything else. There simply isn't any other options witch only serves to show how much of a problem it is for the whole community.

Using horse drawn carts in the modern world is not an option, hybrid and electrical vehicles that are not yet available in a commercially viable state. Suggesting people should use fantasy non available means of transport as a way showing there support for reducing emissions is nothing short of delusional.

There are warming area's within our climates there are cooling area's within our climates, the carbon levels of our oceans rises every day and none of it is disputable, its a matter of international news.

Petrol rising in price has nothing to do with Climate Change, that's simply a result of much more demand from China and India and not enough fuel to go around.

As always an excellent reply :)
Id suggest "an inconvenient truth" My post grad is Environmental Science, and the movie sums up much of the sciencey stuff for everyone to understand.
ETA If you look at many of the 'scientists' who deny these trends, you will find some VERY biased sponsoring/business connections.

L

Link83

Two things:

1. Earth First, strip other planets later...
Hmmm, it's abit like, "I won't have kids until I solve ALL my neurotic problems first". Funny how that could lead to extinction!

2. Films like "an inconvenient truth" had lots of graphs but no error-bars on any of the graphs. That just wouldn't hold in a scientific journal. The fact of the matter is that there is a trend that at the moment is weak at best. The crux of the arguments lays in the modelling of the atmosphere. So the course of action really comes down to do we want to RISK the only planet we have?

L

Link83

Hey pedro, thanks for your carefully considered observation.

Actually, that is what many Americans say too!

Status
Not open for further replies.