Get Rid of telemarketers??

svengali

Foundation Member
I received this in my inbox today following a (yes) telephone contact from a guy claiming he could get rid of telemarketing calls for me for the paltry sum of $99 plus G.S.T.

A couple of things raise my suspicions;

*The people contacted me by telemarketing (!), complete with Indian accent and in a moment of weakness I listened to him.

*The company is based in Queensland (sorry banana benders) which seems to be the origin of most home-grown scams.

*The grammar and English are pretty poor which does not suggest professionalism.

*The sum asked is a good one: small enough to be worth a punt but a nice little earner if enough people are sucked in.

Has anyone else come across this? It would be worth the $108 if it is for real.

Attachments

• ACPS Emailer.doc
    124 KB · Views: 11

Buzz

Foundation Member
I've been able to avoid the telemenaces. They usually ring late afternoon on a blocked number. I just let if go through to the answer machine....it's free to do that

Sherry

Legend Member
Just keep a whistle by your phone svengali. I reckon that may work and probably only cost you a couple of dollars haha xxx

stevell

Silver Member
No But I get heaps of calls from indians saying they work for microsoft and That I have a computer and blah blah,anyhow I generally tell them I haven't got a computer,and then I'll argue with them,more for my entertainment,or sometimes I'll just tell em to F#$..off.
There phone call come from computers...lol:police:

W

WRXXXR

I put myself on the do not call register (free!!) and havent received a telemarketer call since doing so. Guess it works.

Happy2

Legend Member
I too am on the no call register WR3XR Makes little difference to our sub continental friends I believe. As the used blocked numbers etc you have no ones info to dob with anyway
There is a lady up here who said she always answers their calls and only says yes Not hello How much Just yes Reckons she has had them put the phone down on her

svengali

Foundation Member
Yes, I forgot about the Do Not Call register. It is free but only applies to domestic 'phones. My biggest problem is with interruptions at work when I am trying to earn a crust. Thinking about it, getting the details of the callers to sic the A.C.P.S. people onto them is probably more hassle than just telling them to go to h..l.

asianguy77

Diamond Member
Lol looks like you've been scammed by the people who you are actually trying to get rid of. However, as it was sent to your inbox, which is how alot of phishing scams work, you are more open to it, which wouldn't have been the case if they called you. :p

Why pay to get rid of telemarketers when as mentioned previously you can go on the DO NOT CALL REGISTER and it's free. This may not totally stop telemarketing calls, but definitely helps reduce it. Also another tip, when you enter competitions or sign up , don't put your landline number/email address you use regularly as they will onsell your details to marketing companies.

I don't see how anyone can claim to stop telemarketing calls completely, especially if the government incentive DO NOT CALL REGISTER cannot. Beware of phishing scams.

aDel_

Gold Member
how do you think i feel working at LT constantly bombarded with telemarketers of all kinds and fucking immature adults and kids pranking me. its annoying as we have so many numbers here and im first contact so if they all decide to ring at once im screwed lol

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
how do you think i feel working at LT constantly bombarded with telemarketers of all kinds and fucking immature adults and kids pranking me. its annoying as we have so many numbers here and im first contact so if they all decide to ring at once im screwed lol

Are you able to share any of the funny calls you`ve had? Or are your lips sealed?
I`ve prank called a Zoo before and asked to speak to a cheetah, I`ve pranked somebody before to see if their fridge was running and if it was, ask why they were not chasing after it. I`ve even gone through the phone book looking up dirty words and tried to speak to a W..ker before but never pranked a brothel.

Now please don`t scream at me, I did that when I was about 12. I`m very old now and wouldn`t dream of doing it again.

aDel_

Gold Member
i get alot of kids saying fuck me, suck my cock blah blah blah n once i know its a prank i usually just hang up or let them waste their credit. now n then if they constantly annoy me and say suck me or fuck me i say ok where n where n they freak n hang up. i get alot of guys saying i sound hot on the phone n ask if i work on the other side of the desk aswell.
telemarketers flood the lines and its annoying as fuck but i deal with them in a nice manner. its the prank calls i dont like... once a guy was real vulgar on the phone n asked wat i was doing after work and i told him fucking his mom he was taken aback n said i was rude so i just said i was only talking the way he was speaking to me. i think he learnt his lesson as he apologised n then hung up... i get alot more during school holidays and u know its kids cos before u speak u can hear a million of em laughing n being fuck heads excuse my language in the back ground so yeah...

dw i use to prank ppl when i was younger aswell. me and my brother use to prank jenny craig mainly cos its an ad on the tv that was constantly played n we knew the number... other wise wed prank mom n dad on their mobiles n be jerks lol. thank fully im above that now and a nice polite adult. well i like to think i am

ray69

Bronze Member
Why not when they ring say the master of the house is in the shower would you mind hanging on until i
get him and then leave the phone on the table simple worked for me no more calls after a couple of calls

Happy2

Legend Member
I remember a sienfeld episode when he was talking to a telemarketer It went along the lines of
I cant really spare the time right now Leave me your home phone number and I will call you back tonight
What! You dont want people bothering you at home? Thats what I thought. And hung up.

bushbabe

Gold Member
We have elevator music on our phone.

Just put on hold and walk away....... we have other lines to handle calls. They soon get the message......... or the music.

N

Naughty Thoughts

I've always wanted to change my home phone to a toll number. That would stop nuisance calls pretty quick. My friends wouldn't be too happy about it though!

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
you can annoy the crap outta them...by speaking a foreign language or just talk jeebrish...lol...mix with some english word in them. Or go berserk and starts swearing in foreign language...lol

or put them onhold for long long long time....
or ask them to get an interpreter because you don't speak english...

W

WRXXXR

I had one of these pricks on hold for a total of 23minutes today at work! Kept going back to him every 4 or 5 minutes. In the end I started asking him personal questions and he hung up after commenting that I'd just wasted his time lol.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
So far no telemarketing calls for me but then I am in no phone directory and I don't have a landline..........but I do have people knocking on the door with all kinds of requests. "Let's talk Religion" is only one of them....followed by car wash spray (not the old water and soap anymore).........followed by a food bank for Africa. The topics might be different but they have all one thing in common........they are a pain in the butt and lack any sense of invading someones privacy. On the phone or on in front of the door.....they are a "special" breed of people.

R.xxxxxxxxxxx

C

Claremont diver

I saw that one today actually made me laugh may have to try that one

C

chathcock

I get th eindian Telemarketers ringing me all the time from Optus wanting to speak to the owner of the business about better deal on your phone etc..

I tell them now we dont have a telephone...... Usually takes a them a couple of minutes to figure out by which time they hang up and never call back :)

THe guys from google are exactly the same, some times 4-5 times a day. I tell them the owner is unavailable, away on safari, hunting indian telemarkers...

N

Naughty Thoughts

From Google? I can imagine someone calling and claiming to be from Google, but I'm pretty sure they don't do cold calling.

They're too busy counting their money... :D

T

Tania Admin

So far no telemarketing calls for me but then I am in no phone directory and I don't have a landline..........but I do have people knocking on the door with all kinds of requests. "Let's talk Religion" is only one of them....followed by car wash spray (not the old water and soap anymore).........followed by a food bank for Africa. The topics might be different but they have all one thing in common........they are a pain in the butt and lack any sense of invading someones privacy. On the phone or on in front of the door.....they are a "special" breed of people.

R.xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm with you there babe. I have an unlisted number, so no telemarketers calling. And a big fence out the front and 2 big dogs, so lucky me get's no door knockers either :)

A

Andrea

Hi :),
My View i would like to share
They do my head in i Know they have a job to do but its ridiculous
I had so many on the phone interrupting me all through the day at home i rang up NO CALL connected to telstra they sent me to......www.donotcall.gov.au ......,.It took a few days but the peace is amazing lol .....
Hope this helps a few of you frustrated people like me :) Have a great Day XXXX

P

Professor

Watch out Andrea, the DNC register only lasts for 3 months then you have to re-register!!!!!

I know... makes no sense.

Prof

A

Andrea

Hi Professor ,
Thank you for the info,
:) Duly noted will keep an eye on it ,you have a great day xxxx Andrea

Tannerone

Gold Member
Hi,

The Professor is incorrect. The Do Not Call register remains in place for Six Years - yes, Six Years, check the site. Obviously not a Professor of plain english!!

Tannerone.

Happy2

Legend Member
Only problem with the no call register is when you get calls from our friends in India
Firstly i dont think they care about the register & second there are many calls from them where you cant even understand them . So how do you take their details to tell the register people anyway

T

Tania Admin

What about a police whistle or foghorn,,,that would fix the bastards lol
Okay, Okay, I know it's probably illegal,,,just thinking out loud.