• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

From Science Fition to Reality?? Sydney to Los Angeles in 2 hours?

asianguy77

Diamond Member
Always been interested in getting a glimpse into the new technology of the future, which would revolutionalise how we do things. Although many remain fantasy and never materialise, what could seem science fiction now may become reality. Who would of thought 50 years ago, there would ever be the internet or computers as small as IPADS.

While browsing various sites came across this:

Vacuum-sealed tubes, reaching speeds of up to 6500km/h, allowing us to possibly travel from Sydney to Los Angeles in just two hours?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8454851/vacuum-pipes-allow-for-6500kmh-travel

A

Alecia the Foxx

Quite possibly. If you go back through the older sci fi mags and stories, you will see that space rockets, automatically opening doors, remote controls, etc, are all in there - not existing at the time, but portrayed as possible in the future. And there you have it.

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
-********* How about fire proof matches for minimizing fire risks when needing to light things around flammable substances.
-********* An ejection seat for military helicopter pilots, so they can make a fast escape like jet pilots can.
-********* And pedals for electric wheel chairs in case the runs out.
-********* For campers and sailors, waterproof tea bags so they don’t make the rest of your stuff brown if they get wet.
-********* And the one I am proud of most.* THE SOLAR POWERED TORCH.* I know what you’re thinking…… but even in the absence of light it can work.* As long as a normal torch is shining onto it…..
I know these are not available yet.* But one day they will be a reality lol.

N

Naughty Thoughts

Solar powered torches are available and have been for a while. The Russian Kamov helicopter was one of the first fitted with an ejection seat in the mid 80's. When the ejection is activated, explosive bolts release the spinning blades and blew off the canopy.

I like how Get Smart's Agent 86 was laughed at originally because he had a phone in his shoe - which turned out to be one of the first mobile phones on tv. (I think the very first was Bond in a 007 movie - Sean Connery had a phone in his car.)

I'd thought about high-speed trans-Australian trains. A tunnel underground would be the best (but not the cheapest) option since high-speed trains like Japan's bullet trains are susceptible to livestock on the railway lines. Here in Australia the open areas are too vast to have elevated railways.

However, instead of trying to maintain a vacuum in the tunnel which would be prohibitivly expensive, I'd thought of having large fans at both ends. The fans behind would be forcing air into the tunnel behind the train, the one at the destination would be sucking air out of the tunnel. This would mean that the train itself would need to use less fuel to push itself along. And you wouldn't have to worry about passengers suffocating if a window broke.

(Most times where I've read about trains in a vacuum in a sci-fi book, they don't put in windows on the train for that reason.)