• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Doctors that do Lap Band Surgery In Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I get asked all the time because I had the lap band years ago for Surgeons that do it in Perth.Put the list below as much for myself so I can find when need it.
Dolan
Watson
Cohen
Taylor
Hamdorf...my favourite
Couch
Armstrong
Newman in Bunbury
Funnigan in Geraldton

Senile

Queen of the Underworld
Foundation Member
Never mind.

I just figured out that it is gastric banding and should only be used as a last resort.

I don't need it as my stomach isn't big enough to have it done...

So that means it's exercise for me.

Last edited:
N

Naomi-Secrets

I have just had this surgery done by Dr Steven Watson and all i can say is that he is great and that i have lost 20kgs since the 9th Jan this year. I was so nervous going into it, but there was no pain and i am doing really well now. I would recommend this surgery to anyone who is overweight, and has tried everything else as it is great.

Naomi

T

twowheelsinoz

Great surgical option for patients that have tried everything, and can demonstrate they can lose weight! It is very dangerous, from an Anaesthetic perspective it has enormous risks, the main one being due to the usual size of the patient, maintanence of airway and reflux can be difficult to manage and can result in death. Not trying to be scary, but they are the risks.

The surgery does make the stomach smaller, but means you get full real quick. However, some patients (Probably should not have been offered the surgery to begin with) instead of binge eating, get around this by eating smaller quantities more often.
An example 12 big macs a day and 12 thick shakes a day can be eaten once every 1 or 2 hours, or in 2 or 3 sittings, result same excessive quantities of calories. To have this surgery, a dedicated change of diet and healthy living has to prevail.

Oh and I agree with Hadorff have watched him operate too!!

M

melinda

surgery

Ok just done search for surgery on forums and this came up. And no I'm not getting this done. Just had breast aug with slight uplift and upper eyelid blepharoplasty and checking if ok to mention doctor. Here's the site for the one of surgeons mentioned below.

:hello:

http://www.lapsurgery.com.au/

Senile

Queen of the Underworld
Foundation Member
aahha my stomach isn't big enough hey??

Dr Hamdorff is really good. A nice guy too.

Had to see him yesterday as 1ml extra was too much and I couldn't eat any food what so ever and I felt really sick..

Anyway, I didn't really want anyone to know about this, but if I can help someone decide, then why not?

I didn't think it was for me, but after over 12 months of continuous exercise to no avail, I got tired of trying. Then I came off my meds...both have helped rather well and I've lost 30kgs since September [and had the surgery in Dec].

sioxie

Foundation Member
Was talkin to a friend of mine that is having this done but he is thinking twice abt it as the Dr said no more alcohol after....plus he has to b on a diet of mashed up food.......

Senile

Queen of the Underworld
Foundation Member
Was talkin to a friend of mine that is having this done but he is thinking twice abt it as the Dr said no more alcohol after....plus he has to b on a diet of mashed up food.......

What the? No alcohol?

Unless there's something wrong their liver, they can drink - just not too much [but no one really should drink until they're blind anyway].

The mashed up food should only relate to the first 6 weeks. 2 weeks of liquids and 4 weeks of mushy stuff.

After that, take time to eat and chew properly. Otherwise, it'll hurt a bit. It also takes some getting used to each time the band is tightened.

Quite honestly - it REALLY is a last resort and if you're serious about losing weight and getting down to a healthy weight and preferably a healthier lifestyle, then you will make the necessary adjustments - physically and mentally.

Obviously your friend wasn't ready to do that...

The cost of the surgery varies between surgeons [and anaesthetists] and whether or not you've got private health insurance. I believe I paid around $2500 max after Medibank and Medicare.

Hopefully you're not going to get the band, just because you want it and you think you're fat. If your weight really is an issue and the Dr's believe it is a necessary surgery, private health and Medicare WILL cover it. But if the Dr's don't feel it's necessary and you want to do it anyway, it most likely won't be covered.

On the same subject, has anyone recently seen the diabtribe one aca etc over the past couple of weeks about parents paying for their teenagers to have these bands done??

I honestly think it's absolute crap that they've showed this without first interviewing other people who've had it done [and who NEEDED it done] and have TRIED to lose the weight by way of altering their regular diets and routines [ie exercising]. I heard nothing on these stories about these teenagers making any kind of effort to lose the weight.

Heck, I was 93kgs when I was 12 years old, but I played sports every week up until I was 17. Mind you, by the time I was 16, I'd gone through my growth spurt and went down to 85kgs [or less]. My goal is to be 85kgs again - size 16/14. It's quite a reasonable ask. Any less and I think I'd look stupid.

W

WAcowgirl

as someone who works in the health industry i would NEVER reccommend anyone go to Dr Cohan. I have seen more than a few dodgey results from surgs he has preformed and that the surgeon i work for has had to repear! so please do all your research very carefully and ask for more than one opinion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.