Boat people...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
It seems to be in the news again, that some politicians son who crashed his dad`s boat while being drunk is unable to pay the medical bills of someone he injured.
The thing that`s annoying me is that some are expecting his parents to pay it for him just because they can afford it.
As much as I think that the rich can be be a pain in the butt I still don`t really see it as their problem.
After all, their son is an adult and should be treated as such.
If he`s not working let him do some work in an alcohol rehab or similar... If he is working then take at least some of his pay each week and if he`s seen living it up on the weekends then take a bit more of his pay.
If he pretends to be poor and mummy and daddy provide him with a nice car or pay the rent for another roof over his head, then fine... That money could go to the injured lady.

If not, let it be his problem not that of his parents.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
some kids are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, this kid has got a boat. If parents with bling going to lavish their kids with luxuries, they need to bare the consequences. Of course, the kid also need to be made responsible.

Happy2

Legend Member
If a person can afford a good boat Surely he can afford a few hundred for decent insurance or at least 3rd Party

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Maybe I read wrong but wasn`t the boat the fathers and not his? And I also don`t think it would cover a drunk driver...

stevell

Silver Member
He wrecked her life,and his parents didn't have insurance on the boat,so I reckon his parents are liable to some degree,if not just for owning the boat,although his actions caused the crash:nono:

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
does 0.05 apply to boat drivers too? RBT on the water! theres the 1st...take that in mr Commissioner.

aDel_

Gold Member
the driver is liable and should pay but the owner should have insurance on the vehicle no matter the mode of transportation... plus hes a jack arse for drinking n driving the boat. so i think the driver and the father or who ever owned the boat is liable in my eyes

Happy2

Legend Member
problem is many water police officers do not charge drunk skippers As they are not (Or weren't recently) allowed to do RBT
tests on the water Only the old fashioned Visual Impairment test which is generally unacceptable to most courts as reliable

So a third party insurance which is not compulsory for boats but should be, would have to pay out