Aussie jobs for Aussie people...

chook

Silver Member
Chook,

Do you own your own business??
Do you employ good old Aussie Union indoctrinated workers.

When you do, then preach to me how wonderful and productive they are.

The best labour scource in Perth is the Back Packer Hostels.
These lads work because they want to and in my experience are always looking or what has to be done next and get on with it.
Local Aussie guys just stop and bludge until they are told.
Now thats Aussie initiative and productivity for you.

Q

No I don't now but I have owned and run two successful businesses in the past, one was a failure but I learnt that it is no use blaming governments, your employees or anyone else bit look at yourself and how you can manage things better. In my experience you get good and bad staff and a lot in between which you can develop. I have had productive and slack aussie workers as well as being well and truly shafted by bakpacker type foreigners. And what is it with "union docrinated workers"? This is not the 1970s. I suspect you perhaps don't treat your employees well which is why you are having these problems. Don't take this the wrong way but people are the most valuable resource a business can have, you need to be smart how you develop and manage them.

W

WRXXXR

Its great you've run some successful businesses in the past but if you had your arse, your house and a few hundred grand tied up in 2012 you probably wouldn't say the economy is going gangbusters because it's simply not.

If it wasn't for the mining industry WA would be in serious trouble.

If we ran a poll asking if everyones workplace was slowing, in trouble or cutting costs the majority would say yes. FIFOs would be in the minority who aren't.

chook

Silver Member
I think you're missing the point. The global economy is in a mess at the moment and that is impacting on our country. The AUD is over parity with the USD and over time this will affect sectors of the economy that are dependent on imports. It is all relative. There is absolutely no doubt, and in this context, Australia has a strong economy and is going from strength to strength. The broad indicators do not lie, unemployment is hovering around 5%, only a 0.7% rise since the GFC, economic growth has subduded but still running at a healthy rate of over 2% a year.

The mining industry accounts for about 10% of the economy. Important as it is, it is wrong to say only the mining industry is doing ok, again the economic data says otherwise. You sould like those old mining ads which claimed that the mining industry, rather than the stimulus, saved Australia from the GFC. That was a cracker when the ABS data showed that the mining industry contracted the most in 2008-09 and if that was replicated across Australia our unemployment rate would have shot up to over 30%, like that in Greece.

As to running a poll... well the respected instutions of Treasury, World Bank, the OECD amongst others all say Australia is one of the best performing economies in the world. These institutions are staffed with the best economic brains in the world. Are they all wrong, or are you suggesting a conspiracy?

Sure the economy is slowing, though lets not exaggerate things, after all it was a major contraction the RBA would have cut interest rates drastically rather than leaving them where they are. Compared to much of the rest of the world we are doing very well.

W

WRXXXR

That's all a load of crap.

Of course we are doing better than many other countries because they are in real trouble (Ie Greece) but its not even a fair comparison to what is happening on the ground. To say our economy is going from strength to strength and booming is simply false. We simply aren't in as much shit as others.

chook

Silver Member
Well we can agree to disagree. Big call though to say that all these independent instutions are crap and that the RBA got it wrong. I didn't say the economy was booming, though some sectors are and others are struggling. Forget about overseas comparisons for a moment, a 5ish percent unemployment rate, coupled with a 2+% growth rate and less than 3% inflation rate is a good performance by any standard. Even in the best of times you will get some sectors that go backwards, it is the nature of the beast.

TheCock

Legend Member
My company (that I work for, not own !!) employs some 457 visa workers. They get the same pay/conditions as us - although they dont complain when the food is not 5 star. They are employed because the company cant get Aussies to do the same work, so we were allowed to apply for overseas workers. They are not cheaper labour, but they will work much longer hours, and in much worse conditions because they think our overtime is a gift from God.

What type of work? Im looking for one day per week.

F

Farm Boy

hej FB,

I suppose you know that if a Back Packer spends 6 months in truly rural employment they get a 12 month extension to there Visa.
Unfortunately I think that hospitality does not count as truly rural.
I have a great admiration or the work ethic of Irish lads and most are well experienced.

Q

Your right hospitality does not count and I was under the impression 3months rural employment got you 6 months extension.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
That's all a load of crap.

Of course we are doing better than many other countries because they are in real trouble (Ie Greece) but its not even a fair comparison to what is happening on the ground. To say our economy is going from strength to strength and booming is simply false. We simply aren't in as much shit as others.

True true, our economy is heavily tied into Asia, hence the exposure to europe crisis is not as great. But every economy is sorta intertwined into each other. One economy starts to fail the domino effect will start.

W

WRXXXR

Well we can agree to disagree. Big call though to say that all these independent instutions are crap and that the RBA got it wrong. I didn't say the economy was booming, though some sectors are and others are struggling. Forget about overseas comparisons for a moment, a 5ish percent unemployment rate, coupled with a 2+% growth rate and less than 3% inflation rate is a good performance by any standard. Even in the best of times you will get some sectors that go backwards, it is the nature of the beast.

I'm not saying all these economic experts are wrong but your not looking at the big picture in Australia.

That 5% unemployment rate is going to start rising I predict.

Kell & Rigby (100yo building company) just closed it's doors. 500 jobs gone without warning. ANZ 1000 job cuts all over the news. That's 1500 jobs from 2 big companies. What about all the others that are seriously struggling or we don't hear about. Many companies are also in a current "hiring freeze". Ie proctor and gamble.

You can't forget all of the smaller businesses who are struggling with the increasings costs of being in business. That is what is hurting companies. Ie my rent went up over $1000 per week, not to mention electricity etc.

Mark my words, this year is going to get tough. Australia is not going from strength to strength. As obvious as it seems, now is the time to smash bad debt (credit cards etc) and do everything in your power to become, or continue on as, a valuable employee.

lonelyman

Gold Member
Just stumbled across this while surfing the 'Net. Wow, 10 years later already. Ditto for another post.