Aussie jobs for Aussie people...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Seems a lot of our companys seem to be heading overseas in order to cut costs. They claim the cost of labour over there is cheaper then here. Are some of our workers getting too greedy when talking about what their pay should be? Should we have the right to be able to say that we are not willing to work weekends, after 5pm, not on public holidays etc... unless our boss pays us a lot more for doing so??
So what about those that decide to stay here?? I think I read somewhere that if you were in Thailand you cannot do the job if it was to take away the same job from a Thai person. I think it means that unless you are working in a skilled area you can`t work in places such as McDonalds or at one of their supermarkets. If my understanding is correct then I guess it is their way of trying to make sure their own country people have more jobs available instead of being taken up by foreigners...
Would something like that work over here??

SorchaA

Silver Member
Where do you find 5000 IT people, where do you find 10000 new nurses, where do you find 5000 new doctors, simple you don't if it was that easy all of these jobs would be taken up by Aussie workers. My old doctor was from over sea i was very lucky to have him because if was not there i would not have have a doctor, why because we have a skills shortage, meaning there are not enough Aussies being trained to replace the old doctors as they retire, less people not more are being trained in these areas.

In country NSW you have to wait of 3 weeks just to see a doctor, I've had to wait 3 weeks to see my doctor, In the out back there are no doctors.

In stead of complaining why don't you become a doctor then there would be one more Aussie doctor out there.

Ashley

F

Farm Boy

Its getting that way Aussie just will not do some jobs. Shearing Trucking in WA is highly depended on NZ workers .

whilom

Whilom
Gold Member
Welfare dependant bludgers.
Why work for less than you will get on welfare payments?

The dopey ununionistic bludgers that keep asking for more for less are causing the problem.

For some reason there is a belief that every employer is making heaps by exploiting workers.
In some smaller operations the owners work excessive hours for a return that is less than the workers.

If the Australian workforce can not be competitive then do not bitch.
Go to Bob Brown and bleat and he will jerk JuLIAR's chain and she will fix it for you.

I do not see it as an employer problem when they employ a more reliable and competitive labour source at the expense of an ineficient and disinterested local person.

If you do not want to work when the work is available then move aside for someone that does and quit winging.

Q

B

BigBoy69

Welfare dependant bludgers.
Why work for less than you will get on welfare payments?

The dopey ununionistic bludgers that keep asking for more for less are causing the problem.

For some reason there is a belief that every employer is making heaps by exploiting workers.
In some smaller operations the owners work excessive hours for a return that is less than the workers.

If the Australian workforce can not be competitive then do not bitch.
Go to Bob Brown and bleat and he will jerk JuLIAR's chain and she will fix it for you.

I do not see it as an employer problem when they employ a more reliable and competitive labour source at the expense of an ineficient and disinterested local person.

If you do not want to work when the work is available then move aside for someone that does and quit winging.

Q

Well said, whilom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justlookin

Justlookin
Gold Member
Jobs are going offshore because of the high Aussie dollar. That's life... The economy is changing adjusting. If you are worried about it then you should have got an education. As posted above, where are the Aussie doctors? Doctors are never out of work. I'm not fighting or competing for jobs with unskilled people because I got off my ass and got an education.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
The cold hard fact is, labor is indeed cheaper overseas, actually dirt cheap!! And in some countries there is no law to protect them, in terms of minimum wage, working condition etc. I am sure you all have read on the news somewhere some time ago the average wage in some 3rd world country were as little as A$1000 a year,etc...e.g. Not saying some of these companies are taking advantage of these people but the conditions do favor companies setting up factories, warehouses as the running cost is half or even less than what they pay in Oz.

My last visit to KL, spoke to a security guard who works for a 5 star hotel in the star hill district. He was recruited from Nepal, by a company which he signed a contract for yearly wage of about $4k Malaysian ringgit. And the contract was for 5 years, and he doesn't get to fly back to Nepal to see his family.

B

BigBoy69

Jobs are going offshore because of the high Aussie dollar. That's life... The economy is changing adjusting. If you are worried about it then you should have got an education. As posted above, where are the Aussie doctors? Doctors are never out of work. I'm not fighting or competing for jobs with unskilled people because I got off my ass and got an education.

Well congratulations, Justlookin! Not everyone has the intellect or the $$$ to go to university for 7 years to become a doctor, especially with only very limited opportunities to gain entry into these courses.
Yes, the AUS$ has an impact, but so too does the attitude of many Australians who want to earn the big bucks, but also want VIP conditions, 9 day fortnights, more long-weekends and public holidays. They want more job certainty, more employer contributed superannuation, and yet pay less tax. Well, you can't ALWAYS have your cake and be able to eat it too. During more difficult economic times, we can either be happy to have a job with top pay, but be prepared to work a little harder for it in a little less than VIP working conditions...OR...be happy to have a job with average to good pay, but have the benefit of VIP working conditions. Impressively, most foreign workers are very happy to have a job with poor to average pay, and are prepared to work a lot harder for it in a much less than VIP working conditions!
So why are we wondering about why the jobs are going overseas, or to foreign immigrants??

B

BigBoy69

Its getting that way Aussie just will not do some jobs. Shearing Trucking in WA is highly depended on NZ workers .

I agree Farm Boy.
I worked my way up through the corporate world through HARD WORK, and being prepared to start at the bottom. My career started around 20 years ago in a commission only role selling pizza vouchers door-to-door for $20 each, and earning a commission of $5 each. I'd walk the suburban streets during the day for up to 12 hours, and maybe earn myself $50 / day. I asked many of my unemployed friends to come and join me, but they said "no" because that sort of work was "below them"! WTF!!!
By the time I took my "sea-change" and completely left my career behind me, I was a State Sales / Account Manager for a massive, multinational conglomerate with very good salary / bonuses / commissions / company car / phone / laptop etc etc.
My point is - nobody just walks straight into a top job without having worked their ass off before hand!!

W

WRXXXR

Aussies are a bit like the Greeks (and look where that's taken them).

Pretty lazy, we want everything now and for cheap. We don't want to start at the bottom busting our arses working 40 hours a week, earning a measly $500 per week. We want 6 figures to flip burgers.

B

BigBoy69

Aussies are a bit like the Greeks (and look where that's taken them).
...busting our arses working 40 hours a week...

Shit! That's a bloody light week for me, or anyone else that wants to get ahead in life.

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
In my experience some Australian based companies are finding loopholes to employ people from offshore via 457 visas.

Seems that these workers are highly motivated, skilled, and willing to be flexible with length of days, shifts, and availability on weekends and public holidays.

Has anyone witnessed or experienced this ?

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
In my experience some Australian based companies are finding loopholes to employ people from offshore via 457 visas.

Seems that these workers are highly motivated, skilled, and willing to be flexible with length of days, shifts, and availability on weekends and public holidays.

Yes, I saw a bunch of Chinese nationality working on a brand new house on a Sunday, close to where I live. They were doing the plaster, painting the ceiling, and that was around 7pm. They couldn't speak a word of English.

W

WRXXXR

I guess a better quality of life + more money to support the family is pretty good motivation. They know there onto a good thing so it's head down and bum up. Whereas "we" always find something we aren't happy with.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
It`s pretty hot outside at the moment... I wonder if there`s any Union Regulation that says it`s too hot and that the worker needs to be sent home on full pay.
If there is, how can we expect some businesses to survive given the number of hot days we have had so far this year...

B

BigBoy69

It`s pretty hot outside at the moment... I wonder if there`s any Union Regulation that says it`s too hot and that the worker needs to be sent home on full pay.

Sadly BB, there is!!!!!!!!!!!:police::nono:

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
Wow..... Even Paris Hilton can be an underdog here in Australia :)

W

WRXXXR

If there is, how can we expect some businesses to survive given the number of hot days we have had so far this year...

I care not for unions but isn't it 3 days over 40?

Might as well send people home if it's possible. Employee productivity decreases on these really hot days. Currently i have 3 who aren't doing much work :p

Starting their weekend early will mean they'll work well on Monday / Tuesday at least.

B

BigBoy69

I know plenty of people personally who work hard in -20 degree weather in the middle of winter, and +40 degree weather in the middle of summer all within the same city! If they are extremely lucky, they work only a 5 day week (around 50 - 60 hours), and still turn up on Monday sober and ready to work!
There are many, many cities with temperatures hotter than Perth, and life still goes on as per normal.

S

Saige

WHOA ....SAIGE BACK ON HER SOAP BOX!!!

ok for starters..I agree Billy bosses cannot expect to much *as long as you always puytin 110 per cent" BUT going offshore, yes cheaper but do you know the living standards over there and these people REALLY need it, it kick start there economy, as long as the corp comp are doing the right thing and investing SOME of that money back into the community..we are all human beings kiving on the same climit..we need to stop this ancient tribal speratist attitude and be for all people not just OUR people...

Now the other thing is I worked inrecruitment for many years and due to my personality moved to working with unemployed people in recruit role now yes there is a small element of people how yes bludge of the sytem but then there are people who you would not want to have a fiftht of there life problems...no excise...but it just takes getting through to these people they are worth and they matter and giving htem skills they need to get back to work.......

humans never cease to amaze me so quick to judge, so quick to not look deeper.....everyone has a story! Rather then condeming a person cos all you know is they are on the dole...teach them, learn from them there story then from there assist them in seeing a different way of theink...MOST of us grew up with parents who work, parents who were supportive and wanted the nest from us...many people dont have that luxury...ebvery personm on this earth just wants to be accepted and loved./..if more people showed compassiona nd more peopke helped we would have less of a problem and if we stopped be so selfish and looked pass our own lives and could see that for us all to put in a bit of time and effort we would live in a better place... PS there is a difference between enabling and helping...help is to say I believe in you and I will assist and walk to the ends of the earth to assist you BUT you must work with me and help yourself too

TheCock

Legend Member
WHOA ....SAIGE BACK ON HER SOAP BOX!!!

ok for starters..I agree Billy bosses cannot expect to much *as long as you always puytin 110 per cent" BUT going offshore, yes cheaper but do you know the living standards over there and these people REALLY need it, it kick start there economy, as long as the corp comp are doing the right thing and investing SOME of that money back into the community..we are all human beings kiving on the same climit..we need to stop this ancient tribal speratist attitude and be for all people not just OUR people...

Now the other thing is I worked inrecruitment for many years and due to my personality moved to working with unemployed people in recruit role now yes there is a small element of people how yes bludge of the sytem but then there are people who you would not want to have a fiftht of there life problems...no excise...but it just takes getting through to these people they are worth and they matter and giving htem skills they need to get back to work.......

humans never cease to amaze me so quick to judge, so quick to not look deeper.....everyone has a story! Rather then condeming a person cos all you know is they are on the dole...teach them, learn from them there story then from there assist them in seeing a different way of theink...MOST of us grew up with parents who work, parents who were supportive and wanted the nest from us...many people dont have that luxury...ebvery personm on this earth just wants to be accepted and loved./..if more people showed compassiona nd more peopke helped we would have less of a problem and if we stopped be so selfish and looked pass our own lives and could see that for us all to put in a bit of time and effort we would live in a better place... PS there is a difference between enabling and helping...help is to say I believe in you and I will assist and walk to the ends of the earth to assist you BUT you must work with me and help yourself too

whoa typed as if I was standing right there listening to your drunken spiel in person :p

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Firstly... Ms Saige... Good to see your back on your soapbox...

Secondly...
I hope that I havn`t implied that I feel only Australians should only be allowed to work here and that anybody else from another country is not welcome in our workforce. In fact I feel the opposite. I think if your willing to work it don`t matter where you are from.
Sometimes when I hear people complain about foreigners taking our jobs I`ll butt in and explain that maybe they are given the job because most of us Aussies are too fussy. As mentioned before most of us expect to work 9-5 , want overtime rates if we work more then 38 hours a week, don`t want to work on the weekends etc. Yet others are quite happy as long as they earn enough to pay their bills, put food on the table and perhaps send a little back home.
I also agree that there are some out there who really want to work but it`s hard to find. Some of it may be the governments fault and some may be even the unions.
I can remember looking for extra casual work once, I would have been happy to be paid a lower rate but do more hours as long as the boss could guarantee my hours but was told I couldn`t because the union wouldn`t allow it.

chook

Silver Member
It's good to share opinions but some people do talk crap. In the main, Australian workers are amongst the hardest working and productive in the developed world. The OECD recently released a report which shows that Australians work the longest hours in the OECD group and as a country we rank among the top 10 for competitiveness. The suggestion that Australians are lazy, dole bludgers etc are usually sprouted by right wing, anti union red necks, typically with zero understanding of Australia, the world or economics.

In part, the success of our country is due to the long hard work put in by our citzens. It is also driven by being an open economy with relatively free international trade. Is it really being suggested that we should only purchase our own products/services and employ only Australians? If so, then why would any country purchase our exports? The mining industry and other higher value non mining industries would barely exist in such a scenario and our standard of living would fall to that of North Korea. I suppose we can build our own huts, grow all our own food, make our own clothes and forgoe things like television, internet etc. Is that good?

Despite the world economy being in a malaise Australia is going from strength to strength, particularly over the past 4 years - yes under a labor government to the chagrin of the right wing loonies out there. Sure not everyone benefits from economic success, such is life, but is it sure better than the alternative. The fact that we have the time and the means to whinge in blogs speaks volumes for how great this country really is.

Last edited:
W

WRXXXR

If you think the Australian economy is going from strength to strength you truly have no clue of what's happening in anything other than the resources sector.

Please, please don't try and tell me otherwise.

M

Mary Anne PA

So many goods are coming from overseas and this trend will only continue

sunyun

Legend Member

My company (that I work for, not own !!) employs some 457 visa workers. They get the same pay/conditions as us - although they dont complain when the food is not 5 star. They are employed because the company cant get Aussies to do the same work, so we were allowed to apply for overseas workers. They are not cheaper labour, but they will work much longer hours, and in much worse conditions because they think our overtime is a gift from God.

whilom

Whilom
Gold Member
Chook,

Do you own your own business??
Do you employ good old Aussie Union indoctrinated workers.

When you do, then preach to me how wonderful and productive they are.

The best labour scource in Perth is the Back Packer Hostels.
These lads work because they want to and in my experience are always looking or what has to be done next and get on with it.
Local Aussie guys just stop and bludge until they are told.
Now thats Aussie initiative and productivity for you.

Q

F

Farm Boy

Chook,

Do you own your own business??
Do you employ good old Aussie Union indoctrinated workers.

When you do, then preach to me how wonderful and productive they are.

The best labour scource in Perth is the Back Packer Hostels.
These lads work because they want to and in my experience are always looking or what has to be done next and get on with it.
Local Aussie guys just stop and bludge until they are told.
Now thats Aussie initiative and productivity for you.

Q

Wheatbelt Pubs Delly's and Roadhouse's are staffed with attractive polite young woman speaking with a accent who sometimes are obviously learning on the job, but are very much appreciated by all.

whilom

Whilom
Gold Member
hej FB,

I suppose you know that if a Back Packer spends 6 months in truly rural employment they get a 12 month extension to there Visa.
Unfortunately I think that hospitality does not count as truly rural.
I have a great admiration or the work ethic of Irish lads and most are well experienced.

Q