Are Insurance companies just a bunch of scammers??

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Insurance companies, don`t we all just love them??

How many of us take out insurance especially health cover? Have you managed to get your moneys worth? Or its it just one big scam.
I mean they say that if you should go to hospital then you can choose to see your own doctor and I guess you can but only when he`s ready.
You can have your own room but only if one is available.
You try to claim for your dental and they only pay a certain percentage.

What about travel insurance? I had a friend have travel insurance who happened to break her ankle why overseas. The accept the claim the insurance company wanted a letter from the doctor explaining why she still couldn`t enjoy her holiday.

Car insurance... I had a friend who`s tyres were stolen, the insurance company wanted to know how old the tyres were and then took off a % because of used tread.

Home insurance... A friends home was broken into and the insurance company expected him to have receipts from things purchased over ten years ago.

Income insurance... They will only pay a maximum of 75%

I`m sure there are many other examples out there...

Sorry for my rant but I had a bad day today as far as insurance companys go...

Happy2

Legend Member
Re: Are they just a bunch of scammers??

Strange how some people just seem to have a really hard time with insurers Yet others (I am one) who have never had any trouble
Been with a large Agricultural based company 20years made a few claims , nothing frivolous always had a good experience
Only a few weeks back contacted a company on a $15000 claim paid within days.

Sorry you have copped the other side of the coin BB

W

WRXXXR

Of course they win in the end but I believe it's 100% neccesary.

I have health insurance to cover the Medicare levy so I come out well in front at tax time. Lowest one possible but never had to use it.

I get free travel insurance through my credit card and never any problems when it's a legit claim (;)).

Home and contents and car insurance is a must and my family's never had problems with RAC

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member

Bit like bikinis lol.

Those also are made to believe they are a necessity when they do next to nothing for the owners ;)

S

Saige

i have a friend who is going through hell with them, it is very sad to see the way they treat him...to me fro what i know they are clearly trying to rort him!

svengali

Foundation Member

Insurance companies and Banks both suffer a poor image because they operate in a complex legal area which many people don't take the trouble to understand properly. They also attract more than their fair share of would-be rorters who consider them fair game.

I have always had private health insurance and wouldn't be without it. No waiting years for a new hip/knee/brian when my bits start to deteriorate. On the one occasion I injured myself I was into hospital the next night for surgery to pin a busted ankle with my Insurers covering the whole mess. Then my personal sickness and accident policy stumped up for the lost income while I was of work. That alone was worth a few years premiums.

Travel insurance can be dodgy, especially the cheap policies some travel agencies offer as add-ons. Always read them, paying particular attention to the exclusions or do what I do; forget "cheap" and insure with someone reliable like R.A.C. If things do go pear-shaped the last thing you need is a haggle with insurers.