Any IT smart person knows what VPN is?

doob

Legend Member
Friends of mine are on an internet dating site and to their shock a scammer(s) was able to find out who they are using a VPN thing of some kind and their different profiles. Scary stuff.

doob

Legend Member
I got that bit of the net too but if it's such a secure tunnel how can other parties find out who you are?

mozza

Silver Member
Simplified answer:

VPN simply masks or hides the origin of your IP address (which is provided by your ISP). Regardless of VPN or not, personal identifying information can be leaked from other sources (the most common is browser cookies when you visit certain websites).

Private browsing + VPN solves it partially, but not 100%.

doob

Legend Member
Simplified answer:

VPN simply masks or hides the origin of your IP address (which is provided by your ISP). Regardless of VPN or not, personal identifying information can be leaked from other sources (the most common is browser cookies when you visit certain websites).

Private browsing + VPN solves it partially, but not 100%.
Ta muchly

vivlamoore

Bronze Member
Is it possible for a person to find your location if I don't hide vpn or location details on laptop or phone ?

mozza

Silver Member
Is it possible for a person to find your location if I don't hide vpn or location details on laptop or phone ?

Yes but it's not easy without some technical know-how.

It can be a combination of social engineering and/or other technical means.

Examples: using free wifi hotspots, clicking on phishing emails, leaked browser cookies, your social accounts etc etc. Without VPN, your IP address alone can be traced to a general area.