..and now for something completely different

Endymion

Silver Member
REVEALED AT LAST! The Higgs boson is the piece of God that passeth all understanding

F

Farm Boy

Got me puzzled why a little bit of something is a part of God.

G

Gentleman

I think the boffins are trying to justify their exsistance so they come up with all sorts of new findings. Most of the time they say that their latest find MAY provide a cure for something in 10-20 years.

svengali

Foundation Member
Apparently, if you are a physicist this is pretty much the scientific equivalent of winning Lotto. If, like me, your study of physics ended after High School it won't mean a heck of a lot.

In terms of everyone's daily life it probably won't mean much either but they spent $10Billion to make this discovery so someone obviously thought it was important.

SAO26.2

Wiink. I'll Do the Rest
Gold Member
You're right, there's no practical use for this discovery ... yet. But, consider that it was the same situation when the electron was discovered, and that the electron's discovery was the first step to computers, smart phones, and HDTV. So, there is definitely promise.

DickieWu

Gold Member
It is part of God only if you believe God created the universe. I think they mentioned God to make it sound cool. I don't know much about it but it sounds like they discovered the basic element that form our universe and life managed to begin from there. God or science? that depends on your believes :)

Endymion

Silver Member
See my original comment starting this thread.

I always believed you folks were up for a bit of irony...perhaps I'll attempt to explain...
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

The Higgs boson is often referred to as "The God Particle" due to its profound effect on the fundamental make up of all other particles (and subsequently everything, the universe and life). Logically, we can say that it is a piece of God.

A popular prayer we used to recite at school with tedious regularity, includes the phrase ...and the peace of God which passeth all understanding (Philippians 4:7). I never could work out what that meant.

So we have the Higgs boson "piece of God" and the prayer "peace of God" neither of which I understand so I'm kinda combining both of the above into "the piece of God which passeth all understanding"...see? ......oohh just forget it...!!!

Last edited: