• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

And now for something completely different 2

C

Contrarian

I've cooked this for Chinese friends and they've declared it's authentic as - not Australianised at all.

Singapore Chilli Crab
Chef: Scott Watkins-Sully

Serves Two

You need:
4 x blue swimmer crabs or 2 x muddies
12 small birds eye chillies finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic crushed (with the back of a knife) and chopped
1 piece of peeled fresh ginger (about 2 inches long) finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 handful of coriander, chopped
¾ of a cup of tomato ketchup
¼ of a cup of Katsup Manis
3 spring onions (scallions, green onions)
4 teaspoons of sugar
½ cup of water
1 egg
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Method:
This one is a little tricky for the camp oven as a lot of tossing and stirring is required. A wok or large skillet on a gas ring will work a treat. It’s a very quick dish.

Firstly joint and clean your fresh crabs – if you are inland, Yabby or marron tails will work well (about a Kg).

Combine: ketchup, Katsup Manis, lime juice, sugar and water in a separate bowl (1).

Fry the chilli, garlic and ginger until fragrant. These items could be pre chopped and stored in the 3 table spoons of oil prior to travel if you are planning in advance to make the dish whilst on the road.

Add the ingredients of the separately mixed bowl (1) stir well and slowly bring to a gentle simmer. Add the crab. Let it simmer, gently stirring occasionally for around 10 minutes, when the crab shells are nice and red. Mud crab may take a little longer. Add small amounts of water if the sauce starts to caramelise. Remember this should be a thick sauce that sticks to the crab shells.

Toss in the beaten egg and stir in for around 30 seconds. You may like to have ½ a teaspoon of corn flour in a little hot water (1 tablespoon), just to toss in if the sauce does not thicken enough. Stir in the coriander and chopped spring onions.

Serving Suggestion: Serve with steamed rice.

Wine Suggestion: A bottle of Hunter Semillon

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Yummmmmmmmm that sounds very good. Unfortunately I am not cooking, well honestly......can't cook. Guess to prepare a nice meal you need some passion for the whole process. LOL luckily I never became a chef (thought about it at some stage).
However Contrarian, you seem to like cooking. Mmmmmmmm you should send a taste to LT :)

R.xxxxxxx

C

Contrarian

No, I'd rather all the women of LT had me for dessert instead - long as they pay me! I hope Bruce McAvaney doesn't think I'm delicious however!