A question of race...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
I write this thread in the hope we are not going to be little children and start name calling, the moment somebody mentions any names or tries to verbally attack someone is the same moment I will ask that the post be deleted, never to be seen again.

How many of us have ben treated differently just because we are different.

Example 1. Once when a friend was in Thailand buying some local fruit, he was charged 20baht yet the person next to him 10baht. When asked why, I got told it was because I was western and could afford it.

Example 2. Once in Malaysia the same friend was called the white man, not to offend him but because he was the only white male there.

L

Langtrees VIP Perth 2

I once got asked to leave a fabric shop in Cabramatta (Sydney, NSW) because I was an 'Auzzie Girl'...
I must admit being completely dumbfounded at this, I couldn't believe I was being racially discriminated against in the very country that I was born in...?
But, if you were to drop out of a plane, blindfolded, into the streets of Cabramatta, you would, once removing the blindfold, totally believe you had gone off course and landed somewhere in Vietnam....
I suppose that possession is 9/10 of the law huh? Well, the Vietnamese and similar racial groups are most definitely in the possession of Cabramatta...
In their defense, I can understand their attitude towards Australians would be effected somewhat by the fact that a large number of the Australians that they encounter are in the area due to the price effectiveness of the drug trade on offer...therefore the limited contact that they have usually includes the likes of heroine addicts and the likes. So they really don't get to see the finer class of society that we, as Australians, are also able to aspire to?

Great place to visit though, if you're curious, or enjoy the culture and food etc. It's the next best thing to actually going to Vietnam! Although the scenery doesn't compare and there is that 'heroine junkie' thing to contend with also...:-(

Also, on a different spin...I have been treated very differently when out with my disabled son at times. Many people have very little patience when it comes to dealing with people that are 'less than perfect' or confronting to them. I have had some awful experiences at the hands of ignorance delivered from ill-informed pigs...however, on the flip side I've also had some heart-warming moments and been shown extreme generosity at the hands of complete strangers...either scenario was only ever due to the fact that I was the parent of a child suffering from a disability...fair call...or not?

Lisa xxx

antonov

Gold Member
I've never felt uncomfortable or unsafe as the only white man in a crowd of Asian faces wherever I've been (and I've been around a bit)....but I doubt that an Asian could honestly say the same thing....

P

Perth boy

The two price thing happens a lot in some asian places thats why the first rule when you get off the plan is go to a bar and find a guide of some sort.

S

STEPHMAC

Interesting Lisa,I have experienced something similar, I was in Saudi Arabia and couldn't understand why as a fairly white skinned western person the Saudi's treated me far better than people from the sub-continent or west-Africa who have a shared religious and cultural background.I asked this to one of my Saudi friends and her usually polite manner changed very quickly and she told me quite plainly what she thought.I found what she had totally offensive. I've also found this personally in my own family, being a Half-Italian/ Half-Slav with dark hair and an olive complexion adopted by pale-skinned,blue eyed, blond haired Aussies.There Is all-sorts of discrimination some can be over the top and some very subtle, nothing good however can ever come from it .

Last edited by a moderator:

svengali

Foundation Member
Well, I am a (fairly) normal white male but I have also had my share of "racism". I was eight years old when my parents migrated from Britain to Australia and very quickly learned that in primary school being in any way different is not a good thing. I was singled out because I "talked funny" but, strangely, in such a muliculturally mixed group, some of the worst teasing came from those who could hardly "speaka da english" at all.

I am convinced that most racial mistrust and dislike stems from ignorance rather than malice. We tend not to trust what we don't understand and exposure to different races here and travelling overseas is a great cure for that.

It is getting better - go to the primary school in Highgate or most inner-city areas and you will find every country on the planet represented in the playground and they seem to get along just fine. The teachers encourage the kids to be proud of and to share their cultures with national dress days, food tastings etc which is a great improvement from my school days.

P

Peter

I grew up in Balga in the 70's, Warriapendi Primary on opening in 1971 had 59 ethnic groups. I grew up learning to appreciate other cultures and to look for the beauty they contain, the other thing missing from todays curriculum is Aboriginal studies, In the West we have, 29 clans the 2 main ones being Noonghar and Western Wongi. A lot of our suburbs are names taken from the Noonghar dialect.
The point I make though is: from my childhood days I have learned to go forward with a smile and a handshake to every one!!!!

S

STEPHMAC

In 'my' opinion Svengali what you have just posted is a good way of looking at things, the only Asian country I've really spent any time in, is Malaysia which is a real melting pot and seems to work well.I know In Beirut you can go to a bar and the guy drinking next to you might be named Michael and the barman's name could be Ali. I've recently been working with 3 African ladies they were interesting,great fun and made long and stressful days pass a bit quicker, also they were very easy on the eye!

Happy2

Legend Member
At my primary school in nanson Probably due to being a farming community it was
95% + white We had one or to aboriginal kids And I still remember the teacher Would punish us for being rowdy etc by making us sit in the back row with the indigenous kids That was mid 70's Couldn't imagine the teacher lasting a week In these more enlightened times

fifoboy

Gold Member
Openly laughed at by all comers in a market on an Island off the coast of Hanoi in Viet Nam, being the biggest person in the country by about a foot and 50kg, it was probably to be expected.

Happy2

Legend Member
Openly laughed at by all comers in a market on an Island off the coast of Hanoi in Viet Nam, being the biggest person in the country by about a foot and 50kg, it was probably to be expected.

Yes dont tall men get attention in asia especially off the beaten track
Would like to go to your Island in Vietnam with Aaron Sandilands

W

WRXXXR

I got heaps of attention in Vietnam and my shorter mates didn't.. The ladies (kids, grannies) love you and will try and drag you into their shops. Not so much in the cities though.

The poorer SEA countries are a mixed bag.

Ie kuta. Full of greedy, shifty shop owners trying to rip off bogans trying to live like kings but in the villages in the middle of nowhere, the people are great.

Deep in the UAE one evening, I walked into a supermarket in a more suburban area and they ushered me to the front of the queue. All smiles and friendly gestures.

The only time I've been really treated badly due to my skin colour is occasionally in places like northbridge :)

svengali

Foundation Member
The two price thing happens a lot in some asian places thats why the first rule when you get off the plan is go to a bar and find a guide of some sort.

I met this in Thailand but it honestly didn't bother me. Compared with most of those guys I am a millionaire and the amount of the "Farang surcharge" was usually less than the cost of a newspaper back home so why stress over it?

I haggled a couple of times when it was obviously expected (even tried it in Thai a couple of times) but never made a big deal of it and usually tossed the change into a charity box as I left. That sort of thing gets you a lot further with the locals as they are a pretty laid-back mob and appreciate a respectful attitude. The only thing which gets up their noses is loudness and arrogance.

kcper

Bronze Member
IMHO the worst discriminator are "some" of those SEA chinese, they can discriminate anyone base on race, difference in chinese sub-ethinic groups, nationality, education level, income level, and even their own kids (driving sons to the most expensive private school and the girls take school bus to public school)

happytimes

what you see is wat you get and alot more
Diamond Member
Quick answer, never judge nobody no matter what. Unfortunately this doesn't happen very often..

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
Double standards for touristy place is very clear especially in Asia. I been to Malaysia countless time for holiday. I sat down with friends at a restaurant for food and this is in a tourist district, flashy menu full of pictures presented to us and pricing I am sure is bumped up. We ordered food and pay the money straight away when the food arrive. Few tables down, saw couple of locals sat down, ordered their food without the flashy menu, waiter took the order on notepad, food came they ate, and pay before they are ready to go. These people are pro, they can smell tourists from a KM away. lol...

On a different occasion, holidaying at Penang in Malaysia, sat down at a local restaurant, ordered food, cheeky waiter over charged us. Prices were more than what they advertise on the wall. I was pissed off not because they over charge us, it is still considered cheap for that price. It is the double standard and dishonesty that got to me. The only places you won't be overcharged are places like local markets where the foods are heaps better, even though the place is dirtier.

Happy2

Legend Member
homer;16550 The only places you won't be overcharged are places like local markets where the foods are heaps better said:
But if its your first time out of OZ You save 50% on the meal and lose a whole days holiday with the squirts

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
In the glorious vicinity where God resides lives an exponential of beings that makes the existence of light possible. *Each one of these souls reside outside of time, outside of balance, and beyond what we mortals may comprehend as reason. * On the end of relativity that we label as GOOD is where this realm exists. *All is well and perfect in this place. *With the congregation of these heavenly hosts, their collective *luminescence resemble that of our yellow sun.

Within this light lived three young souls. *Amongst their laughter and innocence a child like yet profound conversation took place. *Aeons pass as the universe is graced with the laughter and giggles of this curious chatter.

As this gathering concludes they decide to take this conversation to God. *And to do so with a request... *An audience they request with the heavenly father.

"Children", says God in a voice that resembles a tidal wave on a friendly mission. * "Hello Father",beamed the three young souls with excitement in their bodies. *"How can I help you three today?", asked God. *"We had a talk and we realized something the three exclaimed". * "And what might that be dear children?", asked God with a smile. *

"We realize that we are the light. *And the light is us. *Everything around us is really just one thing. *And that we are just one thing experiencing all their is in separate parts". *The three younglings say this with proud smiles like school children pleasing their teacher.

"Indeed you are. *You are all my children and an extension of me, and through you all I experience all there is to be experienced. *Yet you are here with a request today my beloved. *Do tell me what it is you desire".

The first little soul said, "Father..... I am the light, yet I live in the light. *I feel as though I am but a candle in the sun. *So how can I experience myself?".

Stroking his beard God raised his eyebrows and said, "My child, in order for you to better experience yourself, you must be in a place of which you are not. *You are the light, so you must go to where there is a lack there of light. *It is then you will better see your own brilliance. *Out of heaven you must go and be among the mortals and within imperfection".

The second little soul was jumping with excitement trying to contain his speech. *God looked at him with a friendly nod. *"Father, if all of your creation is just one, then here in heaven everything is refined oneness. *How then do I experience solidarity in a way where it is warm and wonderful instead of just what is?".*

*Impressed with the question god answered, "Wise child, in order to do that you must be cast into a place where only differentiation is a reality that the medium experienced by all. * Where time and space is governed by rules that you seem to have no control over. In the physical world this experience is available. *In this physical world my most beloved creation in the form of human beings seem to think they are separate from one another. * If only they knew.....and.....eventually some of them do. *Be among them and allow the perceived separateness be cold that guides you to appreciate warmth."

Spellbound by the every word of the Almighty the third little soul gazes into the light and beautiful eyes of the creator. * "And what do you with to experience my child?", asked the Lord.

"Forgiveness". *Whispered the little one. *"Here in the light there is no opportunity to give the gift of forgiveness. *There is no need here. *Here there is nothing but love and all it's sub frequencies. *There are no forgiving actions against such actions as they do not exist. *I want to forgive and experience what that feels like Father".

With empathy God answers, "Little ones I have an answer for all three of you. *I grant you all access to descend to Earth. *There you will all be in the absence of this light. *You will retain the full glory of your true selves. * However you must be willing to accept that you are great spiritual entities that are powerful creative beings that will create the whole of your own reality whether you learn to control your thoughts or not. *Only when you are willing to realize what you are. *Your glory will shine among the darkness and allow others to realize they too are my greatest creation, and deserve the most my work has to offer.

Solidarity will always be available to you as you will all be very different from one another. * I have designed that place to never have identical individuals. *Some of you will carry out ruthless and unimaginable acts against each others in the name of you differences. *Sometimes with great destructive force, *other times with words and thoughts which are equally separating and harmful to your journey back to the light. *Here you will have the opportunity to overcome this human tendency if you open up your eyes to who and what you truly are".

"Lastly, forgiveness......... *This is the hardest to experience yet the easiest to come by in terms of opportunity. *Everyday you will be given the opportunity to forgive. *The most trivial of forgiving acts are equal to the forgiveness of the most horrific inflictions you may grant one and other".

"You all have my blessings to go earth. *Yet I have two agreements you must have with yourselves and each other to make this adventure possible. *Firstly, you must go there of your own free will. *Secondly, when you are there and you live life through the ups and particularly the downs, value yourselves love yourselves, and know that you are wonderful. * When you are the perpetrator and/or the victim of racial discrimination, and most of all when you inflict or endure unkind acts from one another.........

.......... You must remember who you are, where you come from, and why you are there and work towards taking actions that reflect your heavenly nature. * Without this realisation, you will be there repeating the same learnings until you realise before you can return home to perfection".

The three young souls agreed and were sent to three different places on the globe to cross paths with the ones sent before them and ones to be sent after them.

puddle

Silver Member
the other thing missing from todays curriculum is Aboriginal studies,

here here!

The Aboriginies approach to life I(before it was disrupted by the europeans) contains the kind of wisdom that is now sorely needed to solve our modern day environmental problems. They knew better than anybody else what happened if you didn't play by the rules of the land.

A

alex001

Being an Asian man, I totally agree with most of the comments made. I even get screwed with shop owners when I visit my homeland for a visit. I never shop without my relatives, because they know what the real prices are and that the shop owners can spot me as an outsider from a mile away, even though we are born in the same country!

Ethnic races be it Asians, Italians, Greeks, Eastern Europeans are generally more racist towards their adopted countries people than the majority is towards them. My best mates are Italians and Greeks, and they are sooo anti skip. They are 3rd and 4th generation migrants but are more ethnic than their grandparents! I have seen more than my fair share of racism from the 'finer class' side of the Australian fraternity as Lisa has described. However, if you visit Cabramatta, it's like spot the aussie. Don't take it to heart Lisa, I've been living it for years, even though I have attended 'Elite' private schools and live in posh suburbs, people will make presumptions about you without knowing you.

I may look like a drug dealer, but I do have 'fine' taste. It's the drug dealing that affords me to indulge :)

L

Langtrees VIP Perth 2

Lol! Thanks for that Alex001, I promise not to take it to heart...it's bloody hard to actually, I seem to have misplaced it! ;-)

Oh, and by the way...some of the nicest people I've ever met in my life, look like drug dealers! Some of them probably are...I just choose not to ask what they do! Lol!

Lisa xxx