A Motorcycle Crash....

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
Last night as I was returning home in the frosty rain from watching the new motion picture THE SON OF GOD (More on this on another thread). The mood was calm and slow as the road was jammed. Suddenly I witnessed a motorcycle crashing violently as the rider negotiated his way through bumper to bumper in wet weather traffic on Newcastle Street.

I immediately ended the phone conversation I was having via blue tooth and parked urgently and awkwardly to help the rider. I hurried with urgency to the toppled bike half on top of the man down in a puddle. It was an unpleasant sight.

Carefully I life up the bike with its engine still running and stand it up and switch it off without hurting the rider. As I got back to him he sits up wet and dirty and shreeking with pain. I am familiar with tending to injuries so I dealt with this undisturbed.

Making a last minute check that there are no more dangers in the surrounding I ask him for his name and created small talk to make sure he was coherent. I offered him some water and through conversation established that his shoulder was the problem. He wanted to remove the freezing cold wet jacket and I carefully assisted him out of it. His jacket and outer shirt were layers of wet mud and blood. And it was apparent that his right shoulder was dislocated. It was a pretty gross sight.

There was nothing further to do other than wait for the ambulance. Shortly after they arrived along with the MIGHTY POLICE FORCE. To my astonishment......the ambo had to step aside as police questioned the man who was in excruciating pain to determine whether he was a fit candidate for a hefty fine and to lose some demerit points.

I would have thought that on any other planet......medical attention would have been first priority.

The other thing was that hundreds of people in that bumper to bumper traffic drove past and slowed down to have a sticky beak, but noone got out to help.

I was saddened as I returned to solitude when I reflected on this event. Where is the kindness?

Sherry

Legend Member
Wow that's unbelievable Yoda!! Yes I would have thought the same, that is he would have been attended to medically first and later at the hospital questioned by police. That is so good that you stopped and I am hoping that's why other motorists didn't because they saw he was being helped.
I read a few weeks ago about a woman on her way to work who witnessed a horrific crash-she stopped and tried to help the driver whilst help was on the way. Sadly the driver passed away and she is now on compensation due to the stress and trauma of the whole event and him dying in her arms. I think she has been off work for a couple of months.
I wonder how this will change laws with stopping to help when there has been an accident?
Anyway good on you Yoda!! xxx

Morgan Sapphire

Diamond Member
That is so insensitive of the police. I'm sure that officer , if in need of medical assistance would have expected help first rather than one of his associates jumping down his throat trying to earn his 'quota' for the night.
I hope someone questioned HIM about his lack of good judgement.... xxx

Master Yoda

Legend Member
You lifted his bike and stood him up what else could be done Yoda ?

Sat him up and spoke with him ensuring he was coherent and determined his injury. Not worth the pain of popping his shoulder back in when the Ambulance was a few minutes away.

Happy2

Legend Member
From what you have written Yoda I assume your training goes past a basic St John Ambulance First aid course?

Master Yoda

Legend Member
From what you have written Yoda I assume your training goes past a basic St John Ambulance First aid course?

I do only have an expired first aid certificate when it comes to training. Everything beyond that was experienced out of necessity.

T

Tania Admin

Police protocol is to provide first aid and medical assistance first,,that was handled badly by them.

Good on you Yoda,,it's awful that people just keep going and don't offer assistance, it unfortunately happens in so many facets of life and not just accidents,,,someones hurting physically/emotionally help them,,you could save a life.