A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..old brothel photos

C

Contrarian

These photographs are in the National Archives. The photographs are copyrighted 1989 though I vaguely recall speaking to the photographer (and she had permission of the all the subjects to take the photos) and her saying that it was more the early 80s.

I think they were working at Aphrodites. Very interesting pics, decor, clothing and mood however.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an14031007

J

Jazzmine

Re: A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

Fantastic!! LOVE the hair! Is it sad that I'm hoping Perms come back into fashion xx

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Contrarian

I wonder how many of them are still in the industry today or what advice they'd give to someone contemplating it.

svengali

Foundation Member

Most would probably be in nursing homes by now - Aphrodites always was a bit of a haven for over the hill ladies.

stevell

Silver Member

If they are still working it'd be at Ruby's...lol..:laughing4

C

Contrarian

I'm just amazed at what may have once been fashionable and is now seen as "tacky" - the bamboo print wall paper, the snakeskin wallpaper, the chunderous wall paper, not a g-string in sight except for what may have been a precursor to it. Lycra had yet to be discovered, the black and gold salt shaker. I wonder what they charged for half an hour. If it was before '85 it may well have been the last few times that WLs actually performed sex without a condom.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member

I think this is a amazing link, I would like to buy some for Kalgoorlie and I can't work out how do gee why do some make there sites so complicated, I have bookmarked and thanks for the post Contarian, these will be priceless in years to come.

F

Farm Boy

I'm just amazed at what may have once been fashionable and is now seen as "tacky" - the bamboo print wall paper, the snakeskin wallpaper, the chunderous wall paper, not a g-string in sight except for what may have been a precursor to it. Lycra had yet to be discovered, the black and gold salt shaker. I wonder what they charged for half an hour. If it was before '85 it may well have been the last few times that WLs actually performed sex without a condom.
I disagree rather than tacky I am of the opinion that the decor is classical pre condom Perth Knockers, and I love the locker room with keys.

Sherry

Legend Member
Awesome pic's! Love the captions also. I'm amazed the ladies were cool with having their faces photographed. Great find Contrarian xx

F

Farm Boy

Some of you may have heard of Shirley Finn, a brothel madam, murdered in 1975. The most prevalent theory is that it was a police job given the perfect execution (no pun intended seriously) of the murder. The following article makes for interesting reading and there are some photos of some sex workers of the time albeit not in their working environment.

http://www.davidwhish-wilson.com/sites/default/files/deathofamadamNOV09.pdf

I remember her well, one thing the rifle illustrated is a bolt action repeater the cops were looking for the same make AnschĂĽtz but single, shot.
I read somewhere the the thinking was a bruise on Shirley's head matched the diameter of a AnschĂĽtz 22 barrel if it had been sawn off, I can only conclude the police were pulling the reporter leg but I do Know someone with a single shot Anschuts that had his rifle examined.

F

Farm Boy

Some of you may have heard of Shirley Finn, a brothel madam, murdered in 1975. The most prevalent theory is that it was a police job given the perfect execution (no pun intended seriously) of the murder. The following article makes for interesting reading and there are some photos of some sex workers of the time albeit not in their working environment.

http://www.davidwhish-wilson.com/sites/default/files/deathofamadamNOV09.pdf

I remember her well, one thing the rifle illustrated is a bolt action repeater the cops were looking for the same make AnschĂĽtz but single, shot.
I read somewhere the the thinking was a bruise on Shirley's head matched the diameter of a AnschĂĽtz 22 barrel if it had been sawn off, I can only conclude the police were pulling the reporter leg but I do Know someone with a single shot Anschuts that had his rifle examined.

C

Contrarian

The following is a lift from another (now disused) website. It mentions a couple of places I used to go to the early '80s. Aaah memories!

"... it was the Scarlet Garter! The the other place I referred to was Lisa's Retreat (in Guildford Rd). I believe Lisa's son had some drug problems, the Scarlet Garter burnt down and poor old Lisa ended up losing everything. Shame, I knew her, nice lady.

Monger St, do you mean the converted house on William St near the corner of Monger. That was Jade House, the setting of my first paid experience (major cringe!), in hindsight surprised why I ever did it again!

Jade house was owned by Dorrie Flatman who also owned Aphrodites, the two storey establishment across the road. Aphrodites, in its day, was one of the up market establishments. No such things as showers then, just a bowl of lukewarm water and a flannel for the appendage in question!

They're both gone now, Dorrie joined forces with Dee (Dee's Sweethearts formerly of Edward St) and they're now operating from 55 Short St. Seems like half the madams in Perth have operated at ol 55. (Asian International Annie & Anna-stasia being the latest)

The Jade House I’m thinking of was the private house on Monger St about halve way alone on the left going away from William St. The other place was on Brisbane St down the road from the Brisbane pub, which is now a back packers! Yes I remember the bowl of warn water with a dash of dettol and the bedside lamp and the flannel. Those were the days.

Lisa retreat was also a good place, I met a lovely Egyptian girl there can’t remember her name but she was a stunner!

Bring back the good old days!"

Happy2

Legend Member
Yes FB And isn't Mens Sheds now a charity I had heard of it but did not know what services they provided

As for long past establishments who can forget the Happy Haven or Januarys?

F

Farm Boy

Yes FB And isn't Mens Sheds now a charity I had heard of it but did not know what services they provided

As for long past establishments who can forget the Happy Haven or Januarys?

Never heard of those dens of iniquity let alone been there H2 .

F

Farm Boy

Here.
**************************************************************************************************

depositphotos_3963815-Black-pig-fed-piglets-Suidae.jpg

Happy2

Legend Member
That photo reminds me of my niece as a little girl Seeing her first sow feeding her brood
"Come quick uncle the babies are eating there mummy

C

Contrarian

Re: the Hay Street tinshed pic. You can tell the ladies were influenced by Olivia Newton John's "Physical" album.

C

Contrarian

Another interesting bit

Other factors independent of legislation have affected the demand for and supply of prostitutes. Social and economic crises such as wars and depressions have had particular importance in this respect. In both the 1890s and 1930s depressions more women were drawn into prostitution, as both single and married women sought other ways to make money when they or their husbands were unable to find enough work at their regular occupations. The population of Perth's Roe Street brothels rose from 50 to 70 during 1930, as both single and married women took desperate measures to survive the economic downturn (Davidson, 1980, p.110). The increased numbers of women selling sexual services and the reduced spending power of men in the community meant that earnings for individual prostitutes and madams suffered considerably during this period.

The reverse happened during periods of economic boom, such as goldrushes and during wars, both of which brought large concentrations of men with money to spend. During wars especially the increased numbers of women, particularly young women, willing to engage in sex with soldiers was more than offset by the easy earnings available from men who were intent on having a good time before leaving for the battle zone. Many women took advantage of high wartime earnings to amass considerable amounts of capital which they used either to retire from prostitution or to expand their interests in the industry. Two notorious Roe Street madams of the interwar years, Mary Ann Collins and Josie de Bray, made their fortunes from brothels in Fremantle and Perth respectively during the First World War (Davidson, 1980, p.100). The Vietnam War was also a boom time for Sydney sex-workers, as Rita recalls: 'I had more money than I've ever had in me bloomin' life. I had trips all over Australia. Went everywhere. I had a ball. Money was no worry' (Frances, 1993).