• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

And now for something completely different - No. 3

C

Contrarian

I tend to lose weight in winter largely 'cos I have soups mainly at night.

I cheat a bit here by buying Tom Yum paste - I don't have the time. However, I freshen and liven it up with onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, kaffir lime leaves, coriander, basil, long beans, lemongrass and spring onions! And add chicken and prawns to it. I make a big pot of it so it'll last 4 meals at least. I still add a dash of fish oil. To give it a bit more "body", I also add a small can of coconut milk. And I don't put noodles in mine. Sometimes a small bowl of rice but when you look at the ingredients I add in, it's more than filling and more than slimming without rice!

Sometimes I use barramundi if the budget allows it and yes - cardinal sin I know - when the soup is on the boil I switch it off and then add... wait for it... diced bits of fresh salmon and let it gently cook in its own heat before serving to guests.

This chef has chosen to "australianize" with pineapple and green apple - I'm not a fan of that.

Spicy tom yum with prawns recipe

Created by Teage Ezard

Ingredients
Paste
5 red shallots, roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
5 cm (2 in) piece ginger, roughly chopped
4 cm (1½ in) piece galangal, roughly chopped
4 red bird’s eye chillies, seeded and roughly chopped
3 stalks lemongrass (white end only), finely sliced
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
5 coriander (cilantro) roots, washed and roughly chopped
2 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 cup fresh pineapple, roughly chopped
1 large green apple, roughly chopped (peel and core included)

Soup
1 litre (2 pints) water
50 g (1½ oz) dried rice-stick noodles
80 ml (2½ fl oz) lime juice
3 tablespoons fi sh sauce
2 tablespoons shaved palm sugar
18 large raw prawns, peeled and de-veined
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 kaffir lime leaves, torn
1 long red chilli, finely sliced
1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
¼cup fried shallots

Preparation
Tom yum is the most well-known and popular soup of Thailand, often sold and eaten on the street. It’s a simple hot and sour broth, usually with prawns or chicken. The amount of fi sh sauce and lime juice is a personal preference – I would suggest adding a little at a time until you are satisfied with the balance of flavours.

Paste

Using a mortar and pestle pound the shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, chillies, lemongrass, lime leaves and coriander roots to a coarse paste. Add the tomatoes, pineapple and apple and continue pounding until you achieve a smooth paste. Alternatively, blend the initial paste with the tomatoes, pineapple and apple in a food processor.

Soup

Place the paste and water in a medium-sized pot and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool for 20 minutes (or ideally, until completely cooled) to allow the flavours to develop.

Cover the noodles with boiling water and leave for a minute or until tender. Drain and refresh under cold water.

Strain the soup and return to the heat adding the lime juice, fish sauce and palm sugar. Taste for a balance of flavours, adjusting if required. When simmering, add the prawns and cook for 2–3 minutes. Stir through the noodles.

To finish, stir through the cherry tomatoes, lime leaves, chilli, coriander and fried shallots and ladle into serving bowls

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Hi Contrarian, have you ever considered to be part of one of the cooking shows?
It sounds very yummy.......looks like I have to print them out and keep them for moments of me being adventurous in the kitchen........oh dear.......... :)

R.xxxxxxxxx

PS: What is your favourite food of all times?

C

Contrarian

You could invite me round for dinner. :D
What makes you so sure you haven't seen me cook on the telly?
Have you not eaten Tom Yum Soup before? It's pungent with a very pleasant sour tamarind taste. Puts hairs on your chest, lead in your pencil and cleans rust off anything metal that's been steeped in the ocean for more than 15 years! So I've been told!

Happy2

Legend Member
I'm not sure , but I do believe Rochelle would prefer not to have a hairy chest and be running around with a hard on Chef

T

Tania Admin

Ha ha you lot are so funny :)

But on a serious note, that is a big bonus with the cooler weather, Soup,,yum yum,, I think I will go shopping for some ingredients today.
:)

Happy2

Legend Member
I have a question for you contrarian With the quality pastes you can now buy Is it possible to get that true fresh taste and especially smell of truly good Tom Yum or is it more along the lines of very close but just not quite

C

Contrarian

Definitely. And you may be surprised that the more expensive ones e.g. Charmaine Solomon, aren't necessarily the best. The cheaper end of the market pastes are good - but nothing beats fresh ingredients to give it the aromas and fresh flavours - hence my use of them. As for Rochelle and lead in her pencil, I would've thought that it would give her a soft on.

C

Contrarian

Made this tonight. Enough for 5 meals at least! Just the thing for a nippy night!

C

Contrarian

Hi folks, an update - I've been lucky buying the particular brand of tom yum paste. It's sold in Coles but not in Woolies I think. The brand is "Valcom". So, always read the label.

Also, I tend to put in HEAPS more vegetables these days. I made a batch this morning and the vegies in it are:

1. Onions
2. Garlic
3. Ginger
4. Frozen peas
5. Mushrooms
6. Potatoes
7. Tomatoes
8. Carrots
9. Big bunch of spring onions
10.Two bunches of Chye Sim - easily available at Coles
11. One capsicum
and I use a carton of vegie stock and add water to top up!

C

colzilla

Seems like a lot of work for something that is going to be devoured in 5 minutes.

C

Contrarian

I cook a big pot - it's enough for 6 meals. 8 if you count second helpings!

Langtrees VIP Perth 3

Diamond Member
Winter and soups making me homesick.
My home town Christchurch is currently preparing for a very big snow storm and people are preparing. We use to love it when snow at the door was a foot deep and we snuggled together in front of the fire with our cups of homemade chicken soup (my specialty)
My oldest son rung me this morning for the recipe and tells me all the camping cooking gear is in the kitchen and the wood is stacked all ready.
Christchurch as you know is still in a state of shock and many of the things you take for granted are still very unpredictable like power water and drainage.
So I am off home tonight to make chicken soup, phone home and remember those snuggly times curled up in my blankie with the ones I love.

Dallas

Legend Member
Your recipe sounds very yummy Contrarian!
Was very sad about what happened to Christchurch from the earthquake, was such a lovely city, it would have been great to experience it with snow like you described Viv, I hope the services there at least, get sorted out and bring some stability for everyone. Soup and snuggles sounds awesome!