• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Why Do Men Get Erections In The Morning?

Joe Ozzie

Legend Member
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/what-s-story-morning-glory/

It’s an amusing, albeit often highly inconvenient, phenomenon that half of the world’s population has to deal with on a regular basis. So what's the science story behind that morning glory? Let’s find out.

Morning glories, or nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) as they are correctly called, are spontaneous erections that occur during sleep or while waking up. All blokes without erectile dysfunction are graced with them and they normally occur around three to five times during sleep.

NPT actually starts in utero, or in the womb (seriously), and continues throughout life. If it’s any consolation, men aren’t completely alone—women also get clitoral erections and vaginal engorgement during sleep, and various nonhuman mammals also get NPT.

While a few different theories have been proposed over the years to explain NPT, what causes it still remains uncertain. NPT, just like clitoral erections, is associated with REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. One idea is that during REM sleep, noradrenergic cells (neurons that release the neurotransmitter noradrenaline [norepinephrine]) located in an area of the pons (part of the brainstem) called the locus coeruleus are switched off. It is thought that these cells are associated with the inhibitory tone of the penis; therefore, when their activity is reduced during REM sleep, testosterone-dependent excitatory tones can be expressed which result in an erection.

It’s also been suggested that NPT is triggered by the release of nitric oxide (NO). NO is released by cells that line the inside of blood vessels which then diffuses into smooth muscle, causing it to relax. This also causes blood vessels to dilate, hence increasing blood flow to the penis and voila, an erection. It’s thought that increased activity of part of the pons during REM sleep triggers a cascade of events that ultimately lead to NO release by nerve fibers. This is also regulated by androgens such as testosterone.

So we have discussed how, but what about why? One idea is that these sleep exercises actually contribute to the health of your junk. Erections cause the erectile tissue (corpora cavernosa) to swell, which in turn oxygenates the tissue. This oxygenation maintains its viability and helps to prevent cavernous fibrosis, a condition that can ultimately lead to erectile dysfunction.

Another interesting theory is that pitching a tent prevents men from wetting the bed. There are two main types of erections: psychogenic and reflex. The former starts with stimulating thoughts or images which trigger an erection via nerve signals. The latter is an involuntary process that occurs without sexy thoughts and it's believed that a full bladder can trigger them. The nerves controlling these reflex erections are located in the sacral nerves of the spinal cord which are also stimulated by a full bladder. Since it’s difficult to pee with a stiffy, it’s thought that NPT may prevent accidental nocturnal enuresis (bed wetting). While this may sound plausible, it seems unlikely because the body has lots of other methods to prevent you from wetting the bed. Furthermore, it doesn't really make sense given that nocturnal enuresis also affects women.

It seems the most likely explanation is that all of that night time mischief is really helping to keep your crown jewels healthy.

Be pleased he’s looking out for you.

Useful information.

Ranjeeh

Gold Member
I come awake with the gift for womankind
You’re still asleep but the gift don’t seem to mind
Rise on this occasion, halfway up your back
Sliding down your body, touching your behind

Ian Dury and the Blockheads

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
this thread should b scrapped .....I dont get IT at all ....the thread also

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
This is gods way of saying you want to f*ck at 6am BUT because you have said dick you need to get your ass in the shower and off to work to keep that honey you sleep with which you cant screw at 6am because the last thing she desires at this god' awful hour of the day is sex she desires the last few minutes of sleep before she gets the kids up to school, prepares her day, maybe get herself to work too, make sure the house is clean, and being a mother etc etc, but man has morning wood Gods sick way of shafting men for life.....

Phoebes sick way of looking at things...

granite

Silver Member
I once saw on tv an explanation for the morning glory, being that the human body clock responds to the first rays of light by triggering the release of hormones to get the body going for the day.
In males extra testosterone is released to help us through the day, and provide us with a great way to start the day. And yes also known as a piss fat cos that's something else to do when you get up in the morning.

Of note when I asked my doctor about if I should get my prostrate checked out (yes at that age:() she asked if I was still getting morning erections. Well yes I am:excited:. So she reckoned all was good no probing required.:)

So Bepp off to the doctors and get it checked out. They supply the lube.

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
I once saw on tv an explanation for the morning glory, being that the human body clock responds to the first rays of light by triggering the release of hormones to get the body going for the day.
In males extra testosterone is released to help us through the day, and provide us with a great way to start the day. And yes also known as a piss fat cos that's something else to do when you get up in the morning.

Of note when I asked my doctor about if I should get my prostrate checked out (yes at that age:() she asked if I was still getting morning erections. Well yes I am:excited:. So she reckoned all was good no probing required.:)

So Bepp off to the doctors and get it checked out. They supply the lube.

Its a simple PSA Blood test these days....... Men that get prostate massages have lower rates of instances of prostate cancer and enjoy sex for longer in life....

The Rock

Fitser Team
Gold Member
The sacral nerve, part of your parasympathetic nervous system, controls erections.
The sympathetic nervous system is what prepares you for action — the fight or flight response. The parasympathetic nervous system, on the other hand, is what’s active while your body rests and repairs itself. It’s responsible for things like digestion, getting rid of waste, and sexual arousal.
The parasympathetic nervous system is active when you’re asleep, so erections sometimes happen in your sleep. The term “morning wood” is actually a misnomer; penises can become erect and then flaccid again several times in the course of one night. You’re just more likely to notice it when you wake up.

X

Xavier Jung

As a former shift worker I can add that a certain time in the morning (on night shift) the erection would announce itself. The sun had not risen though.

Yarharfiddlydee

Gold Member
....only happens when I really have to take a piss upon waking up. 🤷🏼‍♂️. It's a boner, but a fake boner. I guess it's the sensation of a full bladder and busting for that solid 2 minute morning pee.