• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Who is sick of this as well??

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
All this talk about speeding cars, driving big cars and other things has led me to this question... How many us are sick of cyclists thinking they own the road.
Quite often I can be driving early in the morning along Canning Hwy and they are riding 3-4 wide, weaving along as they try to keep up with each other and creating that feeling that they think the road belongs to them and them only.

There`s road rage and for me there is also cyclist rage...

Happy2

Legend Member
And it isn't only a city problem Up where i am sometimes cycling groups come from
Geraldton for a ride Problem is Chapman Valley road is a minor road, single lane and
genuinely narrow. Yet they must take the full lane and sometime a bit of the road on the wrong sie as well. When its footy season and many cars use the road or even worse harvest you dread what could happen

retrowolf

Horny Bugger
Gold Member
Yep, I agree. If they don't pay rego to maintain the roads, aren't required to have a number plate to catch them for speeding and running red lights (both of which I see frequently) then I don't see how they can possibly think they have as much right to the road as drivers.

Just so you know though, I don't actually own a car, and get around everywhere on foot or bus, so this isn't coming from somewhere purely selfish, just think it's wrong having 2 sets of laws.

F

fukmee

Agree entirely. It is not uncommon to see cyclists run red lights and break all kinds of other laws which would lose points for motorists. Cycling should be for fun and fitness on properly constructed cycle paths or offroad - not as a mainstream transport option ( except perhaps in inner city areas).

At least cyclists should pay some form of licence fee and have public liability insurance - some form of licence plate for identification of offenders also makes sense.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Ok, guys I hear you and I do agree with some of the points you made. I used to cycle to work every day back in NZ and I have to say that there are a lot of drivers who give a shit about cyclists even when they (the cyclists) play by the rules. I can't tell you how many times I nearly got run over in a round about......me going right and the car behind me going straight. (and just for the record.....I used high vision vest and flashing rear light even during the day so no excuse like "oh I didn't see you").
It got so bad that I usually stopped in round abouts when turning right to see if there is a car behind me that might go straight.
However now in Perth I decided to give the good old push bike a miss mainly because there are no cycle lanes (or let's say only in certain areas) and cycling along the main roads is suicide.
I have experienced the frustration when a group of cyclists ride next to each other giving a fat rats arse what happens behind them......blocking the road for cars and putting their life in danger.......very very annoying. I guess in the long run only cycle lanes can solve the problem.......separate push bikes and cars.....they don't mix........a little bit like booze and driving.
LOL maybe we should all :walk:

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

svengali

Foundation Member
Why the lycra-clad crazies even ride on busy roads beats me.

Quite apart from the obvious risks of being skittled by a half-asleep driver, huffing all those exhaust fumes into your lungs is about as healthy as puffing half a packet of fags.

B

BigBlackCock

There are several issues here. For some form of brevity here:

1. Perth is making that transition from being a small country town to a big country town to being dragged screaming into the 21st century. The town planners may have the plans but as civil servants, they have to do the bidding of their masters who have many other agendas - amongst these, issues like bicycle paths will be a long time coming. I'm quite surprised that Perth's existing bike network is as good as it is.

2. Something happens to athletes when that mixture of second wind, getting past the wall, endorphins, serotonin, sweat and VO2max kick on their bicycles. Add that to the genetically inherent composition of a bunch of them on two wheels and you get a pack mentality who want to emphasis their right under the law. I think the law is that you're allowed to ride two abreast on a road if there's a group. I don't think it's stipulated how big or small this is.

3. I've even seen cyclists intimidated by these packs of cyclists. It only takes one to give the others a bad name. The point is that all this "aggro" doesn't make them any more attractive, only more resented of and begrudged.

4. I do think all motorists should start off or take up cycling. It's only when you're exposed to all that traffic while riding along, do you REALLY appreciate safe driving I think.

5. Cyclists have rights and many are justified in fighting for their rights. Many motorists do give cyclists a hard time and vice versa and before you know it, you get a vicious cycle going. Cyclists may not pay rego, but they are tax payers and they are human beings and are entitled to use the roads.

So... hurry up with those bike paths I say. Look at Holland, it has a world class bicycle network and the cars get along just fine.