• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Who is Mona the Madam you ask?

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
Note: This post has been programmed to move to the Australian History forum in 3 days.

More featuring Ron Manners» , Zoning»
This is the chapter, “Mona The Madam: When is a brothel not a brothel?,” from Ron Manners’ Heroic Misadventures: Four Decades – Full Circle (West Perth, Australia: Mannwest Group, 2009), pp. 177-79. (Ron Manners is still brilliantly active as founder of based in Perth. The best archive of his work is curated by Ron himself.)
Prostitution has always been an integral part of mining towns, which can be pretty rough places at times, especially for barmaids who expand their horizons.
Well-remembered is one barmaid at the mining town of Broad Arrow.
She stayed there 12 months, served the thirsty during the day and the love-hungry at night. When she decided to quit and return to the coast, a large crowd of prospectors turned up at the station to wave goodbye.
One pretty hard case in the mob said, “You must be going away with a pretty good bank balance. How much are you worth?”
She looked at him with a gentle smile and said, “If I had another shaft on the lease I could have put through another 2,000 crushings.”

This reminds me of Mona, the leading Goldfields Madam of the 1970s, who always referred to her establishment as a bordello.

Last edited by a moderator:

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
Some confusion here Mona Maxwell house was opposite side of the street to the other six establishments , eventually she got so old her girls had no respect for her and could not be kept orderly.

At the end of her career the Police were so sick of her she was constantly hauled into court . finally a magistrate told her next time she came before him she would be Jailed , Mona was over 80 and decided to get out while the going was good, and sold her establishment to Marlene from across the street .

Next to no time Marlene was close down due to drugs being sold on premises .

Don't know were Marlene went but the R+ I bank took a bath holding a mortgage on a non functioning brothel .
Mona house then became a Backpackers hostel , haven't been to Kal for years god knows what the building is like now.

doob

Legend Member
Some confusion here Mona Maxwell house was opposite side of the street to the other six establishments , eventually she got so old her girls had no respect for her and could not be kept orderly.

At the end of her career the Police were so sick of her she was constantly hauled into court . finally a magistrate told her next time she came before him she would be Jailed , Mona was over 80 and decided to get out while the going was good, and sold her establishment to Marlene from across the street .

Next to no time Marlene was close down due to drugs being sold on premises .

Don't know were Marlene went but the R+ I bank took a bath holding a mortgage on a non functioning brothel .
Mona house then became a Backpackers hostel , haven't been to Kal for years god knows what the building is like now.

Mona must have changed her name to "Moaner" after that.