thiswayup

Silver Member
Interesting. Peoples thoughts on this?
I can't see it happening any time soon, alot of pros and cons on both sides of the debate. Lady's do you think IF a law was passed in the future would it have an effect on safety etc?
Alot of hard drugs heroin etc won't get a look in, but weed is a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tania Admin

Interesting. Peoples thoughts on this?
I can't see it happening any time soon, alot of pros and cons on both sides of the debate. Lady's do you think IF a law was passed in the future would it have an effect on safety etc?
Alot of hard drugs heroin etc won't get a look in, but weed is a possibility.

I personally don't do drugs, Red Bull is enough to get me high, along with a good ride on my bike, bush bashing, and clean good fun,,,bust them all and help save the next generation and their families from the awful domino effect of suffering that comes from addictions...

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy2

Legend Member
It is one of those things where if the media was to change its focus ,from the addict and place it fairly and squarely on those who feed the addict in the first place we may see something happen

It may just be me but TV especially, would rather see a Ben Cousins reality show, rather than focus on the cause As it will
rate better

T

Tania Admin

It is one of those things where if the media was to change its focus ,from the addict and place it fairly and squarely on those who feed the addict in the first place we may see something happen

It may just be me but TV especially, would rather see a Ben Cousins reality show, rather than focus on the cause As it will
rate better
Touche!!! Down with the dealers!!!

Fudd

Foundation Member

rate better

.....abso"friggin"lutely H2!!!!..... :) ...unfortunately, as society is "dumbing down", the media flocks to this type of programming because it's where they can increase their advertising revenue.....ie, this s**t sells!!!!!

T

teddEbear

Great report farm boy. It makes complete sense to me. Name a single time in history where prohibition worked whether it be alcohol, drugs or prostitution. It's time to take a different approach to save the next generation. I completely agree with the legalize, REGULATE and tax. We all know how devastating alcohol and tobacco are and yet marijuana which clinically has benefits is illegal. Stop putting our young kids into jail, or juvenile detention (jail) for minor offences where they network and come out worse. Before I get flamed for my view on the situation.... Read the report.

T

Tania Admin

Great report farm boy. It makes complete sense to me. Name a single time in history where prohibition worked whether it be alcohol, drugs or prostitution. It's time to take a different approach to save the next generation. I completely agree with the legalize, REGULATE and tax. We all know how devastating alcohol and tobacco are and yet marijuana which clinically has benefits is illegal. Stop putting our young kids into jail, or juvenile detention (jail) for minor offences where they network and come out worse. Before I get flamed for my view on the situation.... Read the report.

Marijuana may have health benefits when used correctly to treat some illness, also when used recreationally it's not a bad thing, everyday is not recreational, nor is every weekend, marijuana is a huge contributor to mental illness, regulating it will make people, especially the younger generation think it's ok and non harmful.

T

teddEbear

Marijuana induced psychosis and schizophrenia is a long term effect by using copious amounts over a long period of time. It is also apparent that there is a history of mental illness within the family or the individual themselves. This is why the drugs should be regulated. Only sold to people of an appropriate age with a prescription. The key is to continue educating the kids at home and in schools about the risks to prevent abuse. I would much rather see our government gaining revenue from tax than SA bikies gaining funds for their organised crime.

T

teddEbear

There's a blurred line in saying daily is too much. If I were a cancer patient who suffered from immense pain and marijuana greatly increased my quality of life then I would use it daily to get relief. If I were using it every day to get high then I would say I have an addiction.

T

Tania Admin

There's a blurred line in saying daily is too much. If I were a cancer patient who suffered from immense pain and marijuana greatly increased my quality of life then I would use it daily to get relief. If I were using it every day to get high then I would say I have an addiction.

I worded it so that the medical was separate from the recreational, they are 2 completely different things,,,I agree with you :)

viper

Gold Member
I would like to add another view to the argument. I have competed in drug tested sport where some illicit drugs are not performance enhancing should we consider the threat of prescription drug or over counter drug addiction? Also my stance on drugs is very anti and I thoroughly support the idea of going after the apex drug suppliers.

thiswayup

Silver Member
Yeah Austalian21, alot of big names behind the push. I'm not saying its the best thing to do but the war on drugs has failed. I agree that addiction is a terrible thIng! You can be addicted to alcohol, but that's ok because it a good taxable drug! We do need to do something for the kids, to eliminate the black market that so mercilessly exploits them and the runaway violence it spawns by legalising, taxing and regulating the trade. A trail run perhaps?

T

tracee

I know of people who get addicted to wedding cake....... like Elizabeth Taylor.

svengali

Foundation Member
O.K., so we accept that the "War on Drugs" has failed so we should run up the surrender flag and legalise them.

While we are at it we had better get rid of those pesky laws forbidding murder, robbery, rape etc, because it seems prohibition hasn't eliminated them either. Maybe we can also repeal all those road rules too because they are regularly flouted.

What we really need is a fresh approach.

Q) Why do those nasty suppliers make or import drugs?

A) Because imbeciles will pay good money for them.

Just suppose we tackle the demand side of the equation by targetting the users? Any mug caught with illegal drugs goes inside for 6 months compulsory rehab followed by a requirement to produce a clean tox screen every three months for two years afterwards. No exceptions. No excuses. No soft options for jelly-backed magistrates to fall back on. Repeat offenders go back inside for two years or more for subsequent offences.

I would bet "recreational" drug use would plummet after the first few convictions.

T

tracee

O.K., so we accept that the "War on Drugs" has failed so we should run up the surrender flag and legalise them.

While we are at it we had better get rid of those pesky laws forbidding murder, robbery, rape etc, because it seems prohibition hasn't eliminated them either. Maybe we can also repeal all those road rules too because they are regularly flouted.

Just suppose we tackle the demand side of the equation by targetting the users? Any mug caught with illegal drugs goes inside for 6 months compulsory rehab followed by a requirement to produce a clean tox screen every three months for two years afterwards. No exceptions. No excuses. No soft options for jelly-backed magistrates to fall back on. Repeat offenders go back inside for two years or more for subsequent offences.

I would bet "recreational" drug use would plummet after the first few convictions.

And place the goal at Alice Springs. I'm with you svengali. Take a leaf out of Singapore's handbook. While we are at it, hang car thieves (like the ol days), cut a finger off at a time for stealing, no dole for the bludges that wont even look for work.
That should just about fix any future unemployment and give Alice Springs a boost as well. They would probably have to move Canberra there, or at least the Federal Parliament.

Happy2

Legend Member
There all pretty good ideas svengali & tracee. But I wont have a bar of moving Canberra or parliament to Alice springs I do not want them moving any closer to my home town

T

teddEbear

A valid view point sven. 6 months of drug counselling would be intense!... The cost of enforcing a single case would be enormous. What about countries such as the netherlands where marijuana is tolerated and hard drug use is minimal. The formula already exists.

Holford

Gold Member
It is amazing that there are prominent people calling for this. The war on drugs hasn't failed, it is more of an indication that those in charge are incompetitant, the report should recommend there sacking and get people that can do the job. A half assed approach will always fail, it's like throwing out doors because you only use one hinge.

People under these drugs do not function, after beers on the weekend people function during the week, people on heroin can not just do it on the weekend, they do not function and families and society have to continually pick up the pieces. I pay to much tax already I do not want pay for more people to not function in our society of my hard work. Unfortunately for the community to work effectively we all need to contribute through work or we have chaos.

Crime will not reduce because these non functioning people will still to obtain money for subscription versions. Making it unlawful has stopped millions of people from going down this path, it is a very effective deterrent but decriminalising it will just give those sitting on the fence the push to go to the drug side.

Yet the push to criminalise the transaction between to consenting adults for the service of sex, a prime directive of humanity, is high on the agenda by these so called intelligent representatives leaves me to think this place is becoming ass about.

Stop the running of the show by incompetents.

T

Tania Admin

This is wrong view to take,,if there is no supply then there is no use,,,same reason selling stolen goods is a higher charge than recieving,,if no-one has the supplier there is nothing for the buyer,,very simple!!!

Happy2

Legend Member

The problem I have with this one part of your post sven is that it is exactly the same ideas Adele Carles has put forward for her backing of the prostitution bill Put the criminality on the user

svengali

Foundation Member
The problem I have with this one part of your post sven is that it is exactly the same ideas Adele Carles has put forward for her backing of the prostitution bill Put the criminality on the user

The difference s that a client of the ladies of the night does not cause one tenth of the collateral damage that drug abusers do.

Happy2

Legend Member

The difference s that a client of the ladies of the night does not cause one tenth of the collateral damage that drug abusers do.

You may be right about the collateral damage that illegal drug users do Though its probably is less (Only a guess) than the damage booze does

M

moviemaker

The war on drugs will never be won, even if you legalise it - and I'll tell you why (because of chemistry) and the definition of and categorizing a drug is by its chemical elements.

There is a guy that makes millions out of creating fake marijuana ( they keep making it illegal) but he keeps changing the chemical elements.

The same thing would happen with heroin, cocain ect slightly change the chemical elements of the product and probably if you legalise it would make new companies that make even more powerful forms of cocain and heroin, but it would then be even worse they could sell it legally.

thiswayup

Silver Member
O.K., so we accept that the "War on Drugs" has failed so we should run up the surrender flag

Just suppose we tackle the demand side of the equation by targetting the users? Any mug caught with illegal drugs goes inside for 6 months compulsory rehab followed by a requirement to produce a clean tox screen every three months for two years afterwards

I dont think that's what there talking about, the approach they have at the moment towards drugs is not working, people are still using. Scare tactics don't work, targeting the users won't stop anything either, the dealers will still be making money. And who pays for the rehab? MDMA is still used for people with PDS syndrome. Proper education is so important, information about all the effects of drugs, good and bad, not just the negatives, so people can make more informed choices about their use.

W

WRXXXR

Drug education is a complete and utter waste of time IMO.

Blind freddy knows that teenagers and young adults are 110% aware of how drugs are made, the potential side affects and the possibilities of "trouble" is. We have drug education in year 11 and 12 but by then speed was everywhere (late 90's) and every 2nd person was bent.

Younger people (generally) simply want to try it and most of the time it's a pleasant experience (depending on what drug). They then see no problem with it, so they tell their mates and the cycle gains momentum.

Then you get these celebs who, have immense pulling power over the younger crowd, who go on benders and party it up. Drugs are simply seen as cool. Smoking seems to be less common with younger people, not because we've been repeatedly told it causes cancer, but because it's not really "cool" any more.

W

WRXXXR

Drug education is a complete and utter waste of time IMO.

Blind freddy knows that teenagers and young adults are 110% aware of how drugs are made, the potential side affects and the possibilities of "trouble" is. We have drug education in year 11 and 12 but by then speed was everywhere (late 90's) and every 2nd person was bent.

Younger people (generally) simply want to try it and most of the time it's a pleasant experience (depending on what drug). They then see no problem with it, so they tell their mates and the cycle gains momentum.

Then you get these celebs who, have immense pulling power over the younger crowd, and go on 5 day benders to Vegas and party it up. Drugs are simply seen as cool. Smoking seems to be less common with younger people, not because we've been repeatedly "educated" that it causes cancer, but because it's not really "cool" any more. Movie stars 20 years ago probably all smoked but not these days.

thiswayup

Silver Member
Totally disagree WRXXXR. If every 2nd person was bent then wasn't drug education working even just a little. The stuff they teach in school and thoes adds you see on TV dont teach our kids anything. Their there to scare them away from drugs, not educate them. What if instead of that we acknowledge some people will use drugs, so we teach them what to do if something bad happens, overdose a friend freaking out, getting addicted etc. May save a few lives.

T

Tania Admin

Totally disagree WRXXXR. If every 2nd person was bent then wasn't drug education working even just a little. The stuff they teach in school and thoes adds you see on TV dont teach our kids anything. Their there to scare them away from drugs, not educate them. What if instead of that we acknowledge some people will use drugs, so we teach them what to do if something bad happens, overdose a friend freaking out, getting addicted etc. May save a few lives.

You are a high iq person that is obvious yay for you :) and everyone,,,you should run for parliment (no sarcasm here, genuine)

M

moviemaker

they will simply change one chemicl element if you make it legal, it willl spwan a new wave of chemmical changes to drugs