• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

The Danger of the Spa bath

H

Hardwood

Although they appear to be everyone's piece of paradise, there are major health concerns lurking in the water. Parasites, bacteria and disease can inevitably grow in public Spa bath's, causing sickness and infections. Whenever using a public Spa bath keep some of these potential health risks in mind.

1. Although a bath in a Spa bath can be very relaxing and pleasing, there are some disadvantages. They can be a health hazard, as there is a risk of acquiring some diseases from using them. Rita B. Moyes, Ph.D., with the Department of Biology at Texas A&M University, researched the water quality of 43 whirlpool baths and reported her findings in "Microbial Loads in Whirlpool Bathtubs: An Emerging Health Risk": 100 percent of the samples, taken from both private and public hot tubs, contained microbial growth; 95 percent of the water sampled additionally contained enteric organisms; 81 percent had fungi; 56 percent contained Pseudomonas sp.; 36 percent contained Legionella sp. and 34 percent contained Staphlococcus aureus.
Legionnaires Disease
2. Legionnaires Disease can spread through contaminated droplets of water. "Air conditioning systems (including cooling towers), and hot and cold water systems in buildings are common sources. But did you know that people using your spa bath(s) could also be at risk from catching Legionnaires' disease, as well as other infections?," according to accepta.com. This is mainly do to he fact that a Spa bath is not emptied out in between uses. Unlike a pool a Spa bath contains hot water, which causes the occupants to perspire and therefore increases the chance of contamination.
Cellulitis
3. Cellulitis is another common disease to watch out for. There is a high risk of the bacteria entering your blood stream in a public Spa bath. Cellulitis leads to inflammation of the skin. This usually occurs when there is a break in the skin, such as a crack or a cut. The break can be of any form including blisters, insect bites or surgical wounds. The common sites of inflammation include face and lower legs.
Hepatitis A
4. This is a disease that is most commonly connected with fecal contamination and is a very dangerous disease. It can be contracted by ingesting contaminated water, which could happen in a hot tub. This disease is more common in older people than in children. Some of the symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, a low-grade fever and loss of appetite. Rashes and fatigue are also common side effects.
Giardiasis
5. Giardiasis is an intestinal infection caused by a parasite. Because public Spa bath's have a continue influx of people, there is a greater chance this parasite can make its way into the water through an infected person's glands. Giardiasis must be ingested to contaminate another person, therefore someone would have to swallow the water from a Spa bath to become infected.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
BRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr........thanks Hardwood.......now I know why I never got over a slight dislike of public spas and why I usually avoid them.
But not only thinking about all the hidden possible diseases......simply....hot water dries out my skin so badly (even with oil or other substances in the water) that I feel like a mummy after and need several layers of moisturiser to get me back to normal.
But I want to point out to our spa-loving guests that the spas we are using at Langtrees are sanatised every time after use and that the water is not shared by more then 2 people.....well.....maybe 3 considering our sexy threesomes and certainly drained after use. So no panic.....all good.
However.....I still prefer a nice shower......can be as sexy as a spa.:sign13:
R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

H

Hardwood

Hi Rochelle

You are so correct - The water, with all the chemicals in a spa certainly will dry out ones skin.
Also, oils typically dry out ones skin (as weird as it sounds) - the best stuff for a nice sexy massage is sorbolene (except if one has ECZEMA).

Gee, what I would give for a nice sexy massage now.........

Enjoy your afternoon!:D

W

WRXXR

Depends on the hotel really. If they are clean it shouldn't be an issue. There will always be a risk but whats the point of living if you wrap yourself in cotton wool.

Mind you, i once stayed in a "nice" hotel in Europe that had the dirtiest shower you've ever seen. Had to wear thongs. The bed was also terrible. The slightest bit of movement and it just didn't stop squeaking!

viper

Gold Member
I love spas especially after a hard work out or training and i`m a little sore. This information is always in the back of mind.

Rochelle

Staff member
Legend Member
I definitely prefer massage to spa.......especially after a work out or a good day of physical activity.
Spa makes me tired, drains my energy unless it is filled with at least 2 more people :3some:
LOL....I know what you are talking about......the so called nice hotels in Europe hahahahaaaaaaa stayed in one France and had an invasion of bed bucks over night. OHHHHHH dear I looked like eaten alive and no drop of blood left. So here we go and a spa in a nice hotel doesn't mean hygiene but you are right WRXXR........a live in cotton wool is no fun either.
R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A

Alecia the Foxx

I love spas. I love massage too, my favorite way of relaxing. But you can have a spa by yourself, you can't get the invisible man to massage you. Yes, there is a list of nasties that you can catch from natural mineral heated pools, but it is very rare that anyone catches those diseases that way. Spa baths, where you can let the water go and change it as easily as running a bath have no risks of course. I, however, love outdoor spa pools, and yeah, one needs chemicals to keep them from turning green, but I have good skin, so don't have a reaction to that. Abstaining from spa pools because you may catch legionnaires and blah blah is like abstaining from sex because you may get AIDS. Retarded, if you ask me.

G

Gizelle

Spa bath is a good way of relaxing and enjoyment between 2 people of the opposite sex and of course great sex but there are some risks of catching disease if it is a public spa so be carful were you are having sex

P

punters

I like spa,s but its true public spa,s are bad, I slipped under the water once and the next day had the worst ear infection

J

Juicy Lucy

I didnt know that you could catch stuff from the spas? I love a spa so relaxing and nice for some one on one experience. I know if you have long hair be careful it dosent get catch. I have seen programmers on this not good could easily drown. So yes have a great time and enjoy it but be careful!

Rochelle

Staff member
Legend Member
Wow....after so many posts pointing out the dangers of spas we should write a manual......or guide lines of what to watch out, avoid, never touch, never do and include a totally equipped First Aid kit with scissors......especially with scissors. OMG Lucy....never thought about the long hair thing......:nono:

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

E

Elise Emerald Kitten

E08d7991674f58cd4ffb891ffc7b2e08d799167c51172255812cd4f

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Grushkov

About the only way you can be fairly safe from catching anything from water in a public spa is if it is heavily chlorinated, and that may cause other issues for some people.

W

WRXXR

hot water dries out my skin so badly (even with oil or other substances in the water) that I feel like a mummy after and need several layers of moisturiser to get me back to normal.

This actually came up today and i remembered this thread. Are you using chlorine or bromine in the spa's at work? Many people use chlorine but it doesn't work well at hot temps and often has that effect on the skin whereas bromine sometimes doesn't!

I assume Langtree's would have a pool "boy" who would have it sussed though.