• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Texting/Phone/IPad Etiquette

DDxoxo

Live, Love & Believe
Legend Member
Was having dinner at a fairly nice restaurant in Mount Lawley the other night, and honest half of the diners were
all texting on their phones or on our table, we had 2 Ipads skype -ing to my niece and my brother-in-law in Italy..
just to have to see what we were up to in Perth...
It was fun for us as we were all family on the table -
But what are your thoughts about the etiquette about this sort of behaviour?

T

Tania Admin

Hmmm this is quite a frequent discussion amongst my friends and I,,,I think it's fine if whoever your with doesn't mind and is doing the same thing,,,but if on a date (I would no-way do it to Lone Road) or when the other person is trying to have a serious conversation or isn't using the technology as well, I think it's wrong..It's the old adage,,there is a time and place for everything..

C

Contrarian

If it's a reasonably nice restaurant I think having the phone ring or answering it and having conversations is the height of bad manners. After all people go to cafes/restaurants to relax. When mobile phones first hit the scene, the standard etiquette was (and I think it still is) to switch of the phone or put it on silent at worse - and if you HAVE to answer the call - go outside the restaurant to speak.

When I'm on a one on one dinner I would lose all respect for the person answering their phone at the table - unless someone was gravely ill and I was informed first.

In an internet cafe/hotwired cafe a la Freo, I'd understand if people were skypeing. I do think it's sad when everyone on a train is playing games, texting or phone conversing - takes all the joy of communication even if it's just looking at people. Certainly, I'd get cheesed off in a cinema or the ballet or a funeral or wedding and someone's phone went off.

Mind your mobile Manners

The Australian Mobile Telecommunications Association (AMTA) encourages individuals to use their mobile phones in a responsible manner and to be considerate and aware of situations where using their mobile phone might annoy others.

The mobiles industry wants as many people as possible to enjoy the benefits of mobile telecommunications. There are more than 24 million mobile phone subscribers in Australia, so please remember to follow these simple courtesies.

When in doubt, always go out: When possible go outside or to another room to make your call if your call might disturb others. Also, features such as text messaging answering services, call diversion and vibration alert can be used to receive important calls without disturbing others.

If you can’t turn it off, use silent mode: If you need to keep your phone on for important calls, then turn it to silent or vibrate mode. It’s the ring of a mobile phone in inappropriate places and times such as at the tennis or in restaurants which annoys people the most.

When required turn your phone off and check it’s off: There are some places where people should never talk on a mobile phone or send text messages and where the ringing of a mobile phone or message alert is considered highly unacceptable, such as: movies, stage shows, weddings, funerals, concerts, speeches, classrooms and lectures. In these cases, turn your phone off and remember to check it’s off before you enter the venue. You can always check your voicemail, text messages or your answering service afterwards.

Keep your conversations private: People’s sense of personal space varies in each situation. Making a call in a busy pub may be okay, but talking loudly in a confined space like a lift or on a train tends to infringe on others personal space. Be aware of where you are and who you are with and what others are doing before deciding to make or accept a call. In some situations it might be better to send a text message.

Speak softly: Mobile phones have very sensitive microphones that can pick even the softest voice, so there is no need to shout. If you are having trouble hearing the other caller, check that you have the volume on your phone set high enough.

You don’t always have to answer- use your messaging service: It’s a natural reflex to answer your phone if it rings, however, if you forget to put your phone on silent or vibrate mode and it rings at an inappropriate moment, send the call to voice mail or your answering service (usually by pressing the hang-up key).

Talk to the one you’re with: If you receive a call during a conversation, send the call to your voicemail or answering service. Your first priority should be to the person you are with. However, if you are expecting an important call let the person you’re with know before the call arrives and excuse yourself before accepting the call.

Don’t send inappropriate messages: Messaging is a great way to communicate, but don’t send offensive or threatening text, voice, picture or any other sort of message, because it is a criminal offence to use a mobile phone to menace or harass someone. Also receivers can save messages and easily identify you as the sender.

Respect others' privacy when using in-phone cameras: In-phone cameras shouldn’t be used anywhere a normal camera would be considered inappropriate, such as in change rooms or toilets. You should ask for permission before you take someone’s picture. Also bear in mind that some venues do not allow the use of cameras and may refuse entry to anyone with one.

Ban the ring - not the phone: Wherever conversations are normally acceptable, venues can help by asking people to turn their phones to silent or vibrate mode rather than turning it off. This approach will help with compliance, especially for people who need their phone for important calls. Venues can also assist by reminding people to set their phones to silent mode, before they enter.

Last edited by a moderator:

delta.starr

Mature, Sensational, Entertaining Courtesan
Diamond Member
Yes totally agree that phones definitely should ALWAYS be on silent
(in restaurants/cafes but OF COURSE in cinemas, funerals / weddings & of course meetings)
..... but often texting is not frown upon as it is a silent activity most cases...

I know what you mean about Buses, cars and trains....
no one is talking or even glancing or even acknowledging anyone any more.....
we are totally involved with our little devices (be it a mobile / Ipad / game thingy);
Sadly this looks like the way of the future!

Happy2

Legend Member
You would thing common ol good manners would come to the fore Though they are becoming a rare trait these days
How often does a phone chirp at tennis tournaments? We all know the etiquette but they still dont turn them off

C

Contrarian

Haven't some members on this forum complained in another section of this forum about WLs who actually answer calls and recite rates while in the act of humping?

How hilarious!! I'm surprised they're not trading shares on the stockmarket while they're at it.

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
The most unique experience I've had in this regard was when one of the longest standing members on my Sith List answered my phone call while in the middle of getting pounded hard in the physical act of loooove.

I could not tell what was happening and was that close to calling an ambulance. Lol

J

JasRob

Sometimes when I'm with my family we have this kind of stuff...I don't mind so long as when I am talking to you you're not on your Ipad or Mobile phone texting or FB-ing..there's a right time for that...

K

keen2learn

Its fine as long as people arnt screaming at the top of their lungs

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
I think it would do us good to have a "phone free" day once in a while. It happened to me yesterday by accident. I forgot my phone which was sitting on the kitchen bench. First thought "go back and get it" but I was already 10 min drive away and thought "nope....no way....the world will not come to a stand-still because I don't have the thing on me." My day was actually far more relaxed. Good feeling to be out of reach for a change. I think this "little wonder of human inspiration" has far too much power over us. So YES to phone-free days.

R.xxxxxxx

PS: I wonder how many phones did end up in some rather bizarre places because the owner takes them everywhere.

Aaaaargh! A phone free day. I'm not sure I could survive that. Though I will be sure to have mine on silent when I go on my honey moon.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AlexandraSilk

Whether I be out to dinner, spending time with a client, at a movie or any event where I am enjoying the company of others I prefer to have my phone on silent. I'm always terribly embarrassed if my phone rings when I am with a client, even it the phone is in the other room. It's their special time and don't want anything to interrupt the moment.

Endymion

Silver Member
Whether I be out to dinner, spending time with a client, at a movie or any event where I am enjoying the company of others I prefer to have my phone on silent. I'm always terribly embarrassed if my phone rings when I am with a client, even it the phone is in the other room. It's their special time and don't want anything to interrupt the moment.
Why do you even take your phone with you when you are out enjoying the company of others? I understand that the "infernal mobile" is necessary for your business but you wouldn't be discussing that in the presence of friends or family would you???

I am not a Luddite but dismayed at the devices, primarily of an electronic nature that we use to distract ourselves in public at the expense of other peoples' peace and quiet. Some years ago I was in a fine seafood restaurant in San Francisco- it was a popular Friday night and a boorish business type was talking rather loudly on his cell phone. He finished his conversation...the phone rang a few moments later and off he went again... An elegantly dressed young lady arose from a table of companions close by, deftly whipped the phone from "boorish's" grasp and dropped it into a large tank of rather fierce-looking Pacific lobsters soon to be dinner. "Here's my card" she said which "boorish" sheepishly took, "and send me the bill to replace it". The restaurant erupted into loud applause....

I must also add that I have been with WLs when their phone has rung and perhaps even less professional is for the WL to be scrutinising her phone for messages thinking that the client is still in the shower....!

Last edited:
G

Gentleman

There is nothing worse than a W/L replying to text messages or listening to voice messages during a booking. Once both the ladies were discussing who there were texting and ignoring me.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
There is nothing worse than a W/L replying to text messages or listening to voice messages during a booking. Once both the ladies were discussing who there were texting and ignoring me.
Agree Gentleman........big NO-NO to reply to text messages/answer phone calls during a booking. It should be all about the client.......texts/calls can wait.

R.xxxxxxx

G

Gentleman

Agree Gentleman........big NO-NO to reply to text messages/answer phone calls during a booking. It should be all about the client.......texts/calls can wait.

R.xxxxxxx

The ladies in question claim to be Perth's "elite". Really makes me wonder.

fifoboy

Gold Member
Put them in a pile in the middle of the table, first one to reach for their phone gets to pay the bill.

S

Sandi Lang

I completely agree with no phone in a booking biz or movies but anywhere im a real culprit ,thats why i have a mobile to be contacted anywhere anytime ..

T

Tania Admin

I agree about answering calls or texts in bookings, I agree definitely not during sex, but as to any rule there are exceptions. I know a couple of WLs who have children, they have a specific ringtone for the number their children would call from , first priority for any mother is their kids (so if the phone rings during sex they will call them back once it's over), and their clients are fine about this..Anyone else calls, they don't answer nor do they return the call until after the client has left.

G

Gentleman

I agree about answering calls or texts in bookings, I agree definitely not during sex, but as to any rule there are exceptions. I know a couple of WLs who have children, they have a specific ringtone for the number their children would call from , first priority for any mother is their kids (so if the phone rings during sex they will call them back once it's over), and their clients are fine about this..Anyone else calls, they don't answer nor do they return the call until after the client has left.

I wouldn't mind a lady texting/calling their kids but the ladies I was with were texting other clients.

IanMoone

Silver Member
I text one of the girls regularly and its never occured to me, at the onset of a conversation, that she could be with a client.

There are time when she has said she will be busy and there are times when she has not replied for over an hour so on each of these I have not bombarded her with text I've just waited.

But then if I think she has never texted/called anyone whilst I've been in her company so I can only assume that when she is with her clients she gives them her full attention and may have her phone on silent.