• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Saffron used to treat Depression

Miss Chloe

A Sensual & Kinky Affair
Diamond Member
This is about a year old but it sums it up :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24299602

Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) and major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.
Hausenblas HA1, Saha D, Dubyak PJ, Anton SD.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Due to safety concerns and side effects of many antidepressant medications, herbal psychopharmacology research has increased, and herbal remedies are becoming increasingly popular as alternatives to prescribed medications for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD). Of these, accumulating trials reveal positive effects of the spice saffron (Crocus sativus L.) for the treatment of depression. A comprehensive and statistical review of the clinical trials examining the effects of saffron for treatment of MDD is warranted.

OBJECTIVE:
The purpose of this study was to conduct a meta-analysis of published randomized controlled trials examining the effects of saffron supplementation on symptoms of depression among participants with MDD.

SEARCH STRATEGY:
We conducted electronic and non-electronic searches to identify all relevant randomized, double-blind controlled trials. Reference lists of all retrieved articles were searched for relevant studies.

INCLUSION CRITERIA:
The criteria for study selection included the following: (1) adults (aged 18 and older) with symptoms of depression, (2) randomized controlled trial, (3) effects of saffron supplementation on depressive symptoms examined, and (4) study had either a placebo control or antidepressant comparison group.

DATA EXTRACTION AND ANALYSIS:
Using random effects modeling procedures, we calculated weighted mean effect sizes separately for the saffron supplementation vs placebo control groups, and for the saffron supplementation vs antidepressant groups. The methodological quality of all studies was assessed using the Jadad score. The computer software Comprehensive Meta-analysis 2 was used to analyze the data.

RESULTS:
Based on our pre-specified criteria, five randomized controlled trials (n = 2 placebo controlled trials, n = 3 antidepressant controlled trials) were included in our review. A large effect size was found for saffron supplementation vs placebo control in treating depressive symptoms (M ES = 1.62, P < 0.001), revealing that saffron supplementation significantly reduced depression symptoms compared to the placebo control. A null effect size was evidenced between saffron supplementation and the antidepressant groups (M ES = -0.15) indicating that both treatments were similarly effective in reducing depression symptoms. The mean Jadad score was 5 indicating high quality of trials.

CONCLUSION:
Findings from clinical trials conducted to date indicate that saffron supplementation can improve symptoms of depression in adults with MDD. Larger clinical trials, conducted by research teams outside of Iran, with long-term follow-ups are needed before firm conclusions can be made regarding saffron's efficacy and safety for treating depressive symptoms.

Sherry

Staff member
Legend Member
And also Brahmi!! Such a fantastic herb that does all sorts of amazing things-great for your brain, used for improving memory and concentration but also for anxiety and relaxing plus so much more. I have used it for memory and concentration and it is really good.

westy

Mouse chasing Pussy
Diamond Member
Knew a girl named Saffron once. Used her several times a day.............. never suffered from depression.:rolleyes:

Tyler Page

Bronze Member
Saffron eh?? I'm allergic to shellfish so sadly no paella for me. But might be interesting to try and see if i can buy to just take daily..
? Cant be much worse than antidepressants daily

Tyler Page

Bronze Member
Yeah my doctor gave me some prescription for melatonin or something. It's Meant to stimulate the same part of your brain that makes you feel better when you're out in the sun. Can't say it did much for me.

Suzette

Silver Member
At times we all deal with the dark night of the soul I found flower essences to be of great value.

The Rock

Fitser Team
Gold Member
Saffron, Crocus sativus (Iridaceae), is a perennial herb, which earned its popularity as both medicine and spice. It is an inhabitant of different mountainous regions of Asia Minor to Greece, Western Asia, Egypt, and India. The benefits of saffron as an antidepressant are well-documented

Research shows that taking saffron or saffron extract by mouth for 6-12 weeks improves symptoms of major depression. Some studies show that saffron might be as effective as taking a low-dose prescription antidepressant, such as fluoxetine or imipramine. Early research in patients already taking an antidepressant shows that taking crocin, a chemical found in saffron, for 4 weeks reduces symptoms of depression more than taking the antidepressant alone.