• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
i have just heard on the tele that the exhaustion of the Bali Duo has not been confirmed as yet .

markeys

Foundation Member
Well at least we can watch tv in peace now,

Frankly I dont know-what all the fuss was about trying to save these two, they were trying to bring Kilo's of heroin into Australia, this would of caused untold deaths and misery but worse a lot of misery and pain for completely innocent people due to their attempted acts of greed.

Max Cherry

At your service
Gold Member

Frankly I dont know-what all the fuss was about trying to save these two, they were trying to bring Kilo's of heroin into Australia, this would of caused untold deaths and misery but worse a lot of misery and pain for completely innocent people due to their attempted acts of greed.

People will get their heroin one way or another, stopping that lot would have had no effect whatsoever. And if they can't get heroin, they'll get oxycodone prescribed by doctor shopping.
After 10 years in an Indo prison, these were reformed men. The death penalty for drug charges is way too harsh, in my opinion.

smarquin

Diamond Member
Its amazing how many people on death row become reformed and find a God, mostly due to the death penalty itself.

I wonder how long that would last were they freed

Agreed. Only they themselves know in their hearts if they have repentance and reformed.

smarquin

Diamond Member
Maybe if Australia have more serious sentences on drug crimes we would have less issue. There will always be risk takers to run the gauntlet whether they get caught or not. But imagine if the punishment is much lighter, there certainly be more people who take more risk if they only have to sit in jail for a few years.

Drug traffickers are totally different beast, they have cross a line that they know they shouldn't, they aren't afraid once they cross that line.

sunyun

Legend Member
People will get their heroin one way or another, stopping that lot would have had no effect whatsoever. And if they can't get heroin, they'll get oxycodone prescribed by doctor shopping.
After 10 years in an Indo prison, these were reformed men. The death penalty for drug charges is way too harsh, in my opinion.

So then, why do we bother trying to stop them at the airport ? Just them bring everything they want in and make millions of addicts in Oz.

At least the the price of heroin will come down - like the price of iron ore when there is too much of the stuff around - and then maybe it wont be worth bringing it into Oz, so finally we may have drug free country, but with only half the population !

Max Cherry

At your service
Gold Member
Its amazing how many people on death row become reformed and find a God, mostly due to the death penalty itself.

I wonder how long that would last were they freed

God has nothing to do with it. Besides, only one of them "found God" in there. Whether he truly did find religion or it was just a ploy to make him look better doesn't matter. What matters is the 10 years he's already served in an Indonesian prison - that's enough to make anyone sorry, I bet you that given a second chance, neither of them would even think about trafficking heroin again.

Reactions: Bee

sparky

Legend Member
God has nothing to do with it. Besides, only one of them "found God" in there. Whether he truly did find religion or it was just a ploy to make him look better doesn't matter. What matters is the 10 years he's already served in an Indonesian prison - that's enough to make anyone sorry, I bet you that given a second chance, neither of them would even think about trafficking heroin again.

Thankfully they don't get a 2nd chance now

Max Cherry

At your service
Gold Member
So then, why do we bother trying to stop them at the airport ? Just them bring everything they want in and make millions of addicts in Oz.

At least the the price of heroin will come down - like the price of iron ore when there is too much of the stuff around - and then maybe it wont be worth bringing it into Oz, so finally we may have drug free country, but with only half the population !

I believe we should follow what other countries have done and decriminalise drug possession. Take Portugal for example, used to have a huge heroin problem, over crowded prisons, and people were caught in a cycle of getting caught with a small amount of drugs, being charged, going to jail, and then being released but unable to get a job because of their "criminal record"... Same as what happens all over the world. Portugal decriminalised drug possession and saw the number of addicts decrease massively.

Giving people a second chance, gives them a chance to make something of themselves and not need the drugs to cope with life. Putting people in prison and executing prisoners isn't the way to deal with addiction... Addiction is an illness, and often addicts suffer from depression/anxiety and use drugs as a way to deal with their mental illness. People suffering like this need help, and empathy.

I understand that these two weren't addicts, and we're just in it for the money - but it's still a non-violent crime that does not deserve the death penalty. Jail time, sure... But not death.

Max Cherry

At your service
Gold Member
Maybe if Australia have more serious sentences on drug crimes we would have less issue. There will always be risk takers to run the gauntlet whether they get caught or not. But imagine if the punishment is much lighter, there certainly be more people who take more risk if they only have to sit in jail for a few years.

Drug traffickers are totally different beast, they have cross a line that they know they shouldn't, they aren't afraid once they cross that line.

Throwing people in jail is just a band-aid for the problem. It does nothing but make the problem worse in the long run.

Pepper

Silver Member
The death penalty is barbaric and backward but typical of most Asian countries. Personally, I think the big joke is the thousands of Australians who continue to support the Indonesian (mainly Bali) tourist industry. This is not the first time they have executed offenders and it won't be the last

smarquin

Diamond Member
Throwing people in jail is just a band-aid for the problem. It does nothing but make the problem worse in the long run.

Just get rid of prison then .. its costing us $75k per person per year .... Let everyone loose and do as they wish.

Too many excuses for drugs dealers, traffickers, drug addicts.

Drugs in this society is too acceptable, its too common. People know its not right, but they still want to experiment, then before they know it, they are addicted. The drug dealers are happy when they have people who want to experiment and get hooked. It just cost the society a lot of problem.

Maybe if we have no drug supplier, there is no drugs, there is no addict. So why not tighten the law and increase penalty ?

Smoggy

Foundation Member
There is much more to this than the execution of two drug traffickers. Indonesia is a sovereign nation and the two were guilty of the offence. However, there are issues with the process and Indonesian reasoning.

1. Indonesia asks for clemency for its own citizens overseas in the same circumstances.
2. There is evidence of corruption and political interference which influenced the initial death sentence.
3. The two had undergone rehabilitation and made a genuine attempt to make amends in prison.
4. Australia had offered to pay all the costs for keeping these two in prison for the rest of their lives.
5. Widodo has refused to acknowledge and return the calls from Tony Abbott.
6. At all diplomatic levels the Indonesians have refused to discuss the appeals for clemency.
7. The show of force to transfer the two to the execution island was completely over the top and a show of strength to Australia, rest of the world and Indonesia's hard line islamists.
8. The family and the Australian High Commissioner had to run the gauntlet of Indonesian Police and their dogs to get to the prison island at a time when they were under great stress.
9. The 72 hours notice of execution was given on ANZAC Day when the Indonesians were specifically asked not to give the notification on that day.

Widodo's popularity is on the wane and fuelling anti-western and anti-Australian sentiment appeals to influential groups within the country. Widodo is very inwardly looking and hasn't grasped the damage he is doing to Indonesia's reputation overseas. Widodo has not followed normally diplomatic channels and has basically given Australia the two fingers and diplomatically insulted Australia in the strongest possible way.
The Indonesian government have created uncertainty within the business community that has reduced foreign investment prior to these executions and yesterdays events have hit their stock market hard as investors realise the damage done to Indonesia's reputation.

I agree with Max Cherry's comments but these two knew the risks and it didn't stop them. This whole series of events have highlighted that we have an anti-Australian government in Indonesia and its going to take a long, long time for this relationship to get back on track. That is bad news for everybody.

Max Cherry

At your service
Gold Member
Just get rid of prison then .. its costing us $75k per person per year .... Let everyone loose and do as they wish.

Too many excuses for drugs dealers, traffickers, drug addicts.

Drugs in this society is too acceptable, its too common. People know its not right, but they still want to experiment, then before they know it, they are addicted. The drug dealers are happy when they have people who want to experiment and get hooked. It just cost the society a lot of problem.

Maybe if we have no drug supplier, there is no drugs, there is no addict. So why not tighten the law and increase penalty ?

who makes the decision about whether or not drugs "are not right"? Some lawmakers who have no real experience with addicts, or the effects of recreational drug use? Xanax, and Oxycodone, and Valium are all legal, more people die from overdosing on those drugs than heroin... But for some reason they are accepted in society. Suburban housewifes addicted to Valium are the same as every other addict, it's just their medicine is covered by Medicare.

There will always be addicts - whether it's heroin of something legal... Alcohol, perscription drugs, cigarettes - all of which kill more people and do more social damage than heroin does. Or any other drug for that matter.

I'm not condoning the use of Heroin, or any hard drugs - but I believe people have the right to autonomy and to choose what goes into their bodies.... And they shouldn't have to die for making that choice.

:D

smarquin

Diamond Member
who makes the decision about whether or not drugs "are not right"? Some lawmakers who have no real experience with addicts, or the effects of recreational drug use? Xanax, and Oxycodone, and Valium are all legal, more people die from overdosing on those drugs than heroin... But for some reason they are accepted in society. Suburban housewifes addicted to Valium are the same as every other addict, it's just their medicine is covered by Medicare.

There will always be addicts - whether it's heroin of something legal... Alcohol, perscription drugs, cigarettes - all of which kill more people and do more social damage than heroin does. Or any other drug for that matter.

I'm not condoning the use of Heroin, or any hard drugs - but I believe people have the right to autonomy and to choose what goes into their bodies.... And they shouldn't have to die for making that choice.

:D

We are talking about drug dealer/trafficker. You are off topic.

What you think is the right penalty for drug dealer/trafficker ?

scarlett lee

Gold Member

Wow Markey, a whole lot more people die in car accidents every year than by overdose. Maybe should execute the C.E.O. of Ford or Holden? I used to work in a rehab and do you know how many recovering addicts blame dealers for their addiction? None. In fact there is a stronger link between childhood abuse and drug addiction than there is between obesity and diabetes. And in progressive countries like Portugal and Holland who focus on harm minimisation rather than criminalising those with the disease of addiction there are far fewer drug related deaths and crime than here or America. Everyone deserves to be treated with compassion, no matter whether they are an addict or a couple of boys who did something egregiously stupid at an age when they didn't fully appreciate the consequences of their actions (and there are studies that show that the ability to do so isn't fully developed until about 25). And for those who bleat that they knew the death penalty applies in Indonesia, well so did the AFP and instead of waiting for them to arrive back in Australia chose instead to tip off the Indo police. If we are going to say anyone in this whole sorry saga has blood on their hands it is them.

Last edited:

Max Cherry

At your service
Gold Member
We are talking about drug dealer/trafficker. You are off topic.

What you think is the right penalty for drug dealer/trafficker ?

The penalty should depend on how much drugs they are caught with... These guys got caught with 8.1 kilos of heroin I believe. So the 10 years they've served is a long enough sentence in my opinion.

Max Cherry

At your service
Gold Member
Wow Markey, a whole lot more people die in car accidents every year than by overdose. Maybe should execute the C.E.O. of Ford or Holden? I used to work in a rehab and do you know how many recovering addicts blame dealers for their addiction? None. In fact there is a stronger link between childhood abuse and drug addiction than there is between obesity and diabetes. And in progressive countries like Portugal and Holland who focus on harm minimisation rather than criminalising those with the disease of addiction there are far fewer drug related deaths and crime than here or America. Everyone deserves to be treated with compassion, no matter whether they are an addict or a couple of boys who did something egregiously stupid at an age when they didn't fully appreciate the consequences of their actions (there are in fact studies that show that the ability to do so isn't fully developed until about 25). And for those who bleat that they knew the death penalty applies in Indonesia, well so did the AFP and instead of waiting for them to arrive back in Australia chose instead to tip off the Indo police. If we are going to say anyone in this whole sorry saga has blood on their hands it is them.

I wish more people could show this same sort of empathy toward people.:)

Max Cherry

At your service
Gold Member
How is that even a solution?
That is just recockulous

Maybe do a little reading into the "war on drugs" first. You'll notice that drug use has increased, prison populations have exploded, and the number of addicts caught in that vicious cycle of prison and addiction has increased. It clearly isn't working. Like, not even a little bit.