• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
Not the first time this has happen. there has been at least six cases proven not counting Kamikazes.

Germanwings Flight 9525 co-pilot deliberately crashed plane, officials say

: Transponder data shows that the autopilot on Germanwings Flight 9525 was reprogrammed by someone in the cockpit to change the plane's altitude from 38,000 feet to 100 feet, according to Flightradar24, a website that tracks aviation data.

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy;- Here more additional information.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/26815271/precedents-of-pilots-downing-their-planes/
Precedents of pilots downing their planes
Investigators believe the co-pilot of a German airliner deliberately crashed the plane into the French Alps earlier this week, killing all 150 people aboard. While rare, there have been previous such incidents in which a pilot or co-pilot have brought down an aircraft.
Mozambique Airlines - November 29, 2013: Mozambique Airlines (LAM) flight TM 470 flying from Maputo to Luanda goes down in northeastern Namibia killing 33. Investigators said the captain had a "clear intention" to crash the plane. They said flight recorders showed the Embraer 190 went down while Captain Herminio dos Santos Fernandes manipulated its autopilot in a way which "denotes a clear intention" to bring the plane down.
EgyptAir - October 31, 1999: EgyptAir flight 990, a Boeing 767 en route from New York to Cairo crashes into the Atlantic Ocean shortly after take off. An analysis of the black boxes showed that the pilot caused the accident and declared shortly before the crash: "I have just taken my decision. I put my faith in God's hands".
SilkAir - December 19, 1997: A Singaporean SilkAir Boeing 737 plunges into a river in Indonesia on route from Jakarta to Singapore. All 104 passengers and crew aboard were killed. US investigators say the captain probably crashed the plane on purpose. Media reported that the captain, who had recently been disciplined and demoted, and who was in debt, had disconnected the black boxes to cover up his act. An investigation by Singaporean authorities was inconclusive.
Royal Air Maroc - August 21, 1994: The pilot of a Royal Air Maroc jet crashes the plane into the Atlas mountains shortly after taking off from Agadir for Casablanca. All 44 aboard are killed. The probe, based on the last words of the co-pilot, quickly concluded it was suicide.
Japan Airlines - February 9, 1982: A Japan Airlines DC-8 crashes into Tokyo Bay on approach to Haneda Airport. Twenty four people are killed. A probe concluded that the pilot, who survived, was mentally unstable.
Pilot suicide is also among the various hypotheses considered in last year's disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 with 239 people aboard. The communications system was deliberately deactivated and the flight changed course.

Purple Haze

Purple Haze
Silver Member
2 of my sons are in France 1 hour away from the crash. One flys back to Perth Monday via Paris the other flys back from Barcelona in a few wks and has asked was there another way to get home besides flying. I said go to UK and stay there. Is anywhere really safe?

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
2 of my sons are in France 1 hour away from the crash. One flys back to Perth Monday via Paris the other flys back from Barcelona in a few wks and has asked was there another way to get home besides flying. I said go to UK and stay there. Is anywhere really safe?

Tex him this make sure to use capitals

Q A N T A S

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
Its so sad, but as mentioned is becoming more prevalent. Not just a flight issue.When I was working in Mental Health ( suicide prevention) many cases reported on our roads as accidental deaths are suicides also. However due to the coronal rulings that have a point system to confirm or identify suicides, many fatal head ons are put down to inattention, cause unknown and driver error. On average just in WA alone the intentional deaths is much higher than is reported due to this. Its the same with suicides non driver related. Would you believe the codes cover such things as "accidental close contact with a sharp instrument"( sword up through sternum or knife leant on) accidental fatal discharge of a fire arm ( through mouth) and death through accidental strangulation!

Whilst checks are put in place to ascertain pilots mental health and physical wellbeing, there are always ways to get around this. Especially in this day and age, were some religious beliefs and insurance policies dont pay out on suicide, many cover ups occur. Any one attempting or committing suicide with other lives dependant on them is taking a deliberate and perverse pleasure in making others pay for what they consider the ills in their own lives. Even worst of course when its to make a religious statement.

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy;- I do agree with Amanda, we are certainly looking at Mental Health issues and suicide.

bushseeker

Foundation Member
well the flights we take to work always have 2 people in the cockpit.
if a pilot leaves the hostie goes in first and only leaves after he returns....
maybe thats just another reason why Australian jets dont crash

pause78

Ryder Deep
Diamond Member
I used to be a commercial pilot in the UK, and still have a lot of friends flying big shiny jets. This has just stunned everyone. Mental illness can be found anywhere, but there are plenty of problems around pilots getting treatment.

Any hint of depression for example can end your career, even if it's situational depression like marital problems or money problems. But, that's easy to hide, easy to put on a brave face at the right times. So you've got an additional large stress of hiding your woes.

I used to joke (7+ years ago) that it was OK to be depressed, but if you're seen as getting treatment for depression your career is over.

Having said that, I think there's more to come in this story. The F/O had a lot more than depression going on, and a lot more than suicidal thoughts. This guy was an insane madman.

Roxy Rabbit

Silver Member
Not the first time this has happen. there has been at least six cases proven not counting Kamikazes.

Germanwings Flight 9525 co-pilot deliberately crashed plane, officials say

: Transponder data shows that the autopilot on Germanwings Flight 9525 was reprogrammed by someone in the cockpit to change the plane's altitude from 38,000 feet to 100 feet, according to Flightradar24, a website that tracks aviation data.
i heard an update about this on the radio this afternoon and they were saying that the pilot intentionally locked the doors of the cabin so no-one could escape! it is almost unbelievable that someone could commit such a selfish and cold hearted form of mass murder on a plane full of people that had nothing to do with him!!! Surely there where warning signs in his behaviour and mental state???

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member

Tragic as these cases are, we need to keep them in perspective. Such incidents represent a miniscule fraction of the hundreds of millions of commercial flights since airline operations began.

This is a good piece if you require a degree of assurance and are contemplating other modes of transport as an alternative to flying: http://anxieties.com/flying-howsafe.php#.VRXw_BgxmK0

The numbers tell the tale:

DEATH BY: YOUR ODDS
  • Cardiovascular disease: 1 in 2
  • Smoking (by/before age 35): 1 in 600
  • Car trip, coast-to-coast: 1 in 14,000
  • Bicycle accident: 1 in 88,000
  • Tornado: 1 in 450,000
  • Train, coast-to-coast: 1 in 1,000,000
  • Lightning: 1 in 1.9 million
  • Bee sting: 1 in 5.5 million
  • U.S. commercial jet airline: 1 in 7 million
Sources: Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of California at Berkeley
  • 100 on commercial flight
  • 850 by electrical current
  • 1000 on a bicycle
  • 1452 by accidental gunfire
  • 3000 by complications to medical procedures
  • 3600 by inhaling or ingesting objects
  • 5000 by fire
  • 5000 by drowning
  • 5300 by accidental poisoning
  • 8000 as pedestrians
  • 11,000 at work
  • 12,000 by falls
  • 22,500 at home
  • 46,000 in auto accidents
SOURCES: Bureau of Safety Statistics, National Transportation Safety Board

The aviation industry is probably one of the best in terms of learning from its mistakes and implementing measures to minimise the risk of recurrences. Whenever human factors combined with complex technologies are involved, there are many possibilities of things going wrong, but the probability is still very, very, very low.

Especially if you fly Qantas, right fellow owners? :D

Last edited:

Stan_the_Man

I swear to God I had something for this...
Silver Member
This article is a pretty insightful perspective on mental illness and how it can effect someone in the aviation industry:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...viation-industry/story-fnndib5x-1227282287811

They say that the aviation industry gets safer with every accident, because they take the lessons learned from the accident and implement measures to stop it happening again. This might be redesigning a piece of equipment, changing maintenance regimes, improving training, etc.

Being someone who has seen people suffer through mental illness, and seen the torment faced by them, I really, really hope that the aviation industry moves in the right direction after this.

The right way would be to acknowledge that the industry is one of high stress, that pilots are human beings too, and that is it alright for them to be open about the stress and anxiety that they suffer without the fear of them losing their job because of it. Being able to feel comfortable about being open about depression and anxiety is the first step to being able to work through the issues that you're facing. Employers have a duty of care to their employees with regards to this.

The wrong way would be to disown the pilot that did this, portray him as an unstable 'crazy person' who should never have been allow to fly, and them really clamp down on psychological testing of pilots to the point where anyone who has suffered, or is susceptible to suffering from mental illness is blocked from being a pilot. This will just force more pilots who are suffering from anxiety or depression to hide it out of fear of losing their jobs, and would make the situation even worse.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
The wrong way would be to disown the pilot that did this, portray him as an unstable 'crazy person' who should never have been allow to fly, and them really clamp down on psychological testing of pilots to the point where anyone who has suffered, or is susceptible to suffering from mental illness is blocked from being a pilot. This will just force more pilots who are suffering from anxiety or depression to hide it out of fear of losing their jobs, and would make the situation even worse.

600 × 700 - keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk

scarlett lee

Gold Member
I was pretty angry at the first headlines that came out about this. It wasn't suicide it was mass murder! And let's not forget that if he was darker of skin and held strong religious views it would have been terrorism. Having suffered from it myself I have the strongest sympathy for those who have depression but there are no excuses for what this man did. None.
There are any number of ways he could have ended his life but he had no right to involve anyone else in it. Selfish fuck.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
Plane captain shouts ‘For God’s sake, open the door’ as passengers scream

The German mass-circulation Bild’s Sunday edition reported that data from the cockpit recorder showed the captain shouted “For God’s sake, open the door”, as passengers’ screams could be heard in the background.
Despite previous accounts that passengers were only screaming seconds before the crash they may have been aware of their fate for at least five minutes reported

Disturbing