Kolkata - Durga Puja - It's That Time of The Year Again

Anna LD

Bong Beauty ll LT Digital Team
Legend Member
This forum has become a part of my soul since the days I started working at Langtrees. I love the way Mrs. Langtrees Calls it the army of her and slowly i have taken into the habit of posting things close to my heart.​

Here's what I am feeling now - Happy, Excited, and Super Charged up.

It's that time of the year again that we Bengalis wait for. It's Durga Puja (goddess Durga is worshipped and it is believed she comes down to live with her parents this time) and Mahalaya - the mark of the festivities beginning here is tomorrow. The streets are all decked up with lights and everyone is in a happy mood with party spirits running down their veins.

Durga Puja is basically a 5 days festival with a lot of rituals and marks her victory of her over evil powers. You can read the rest here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durga_Puja if you like.

Here's a video of how the pandals or houses are decorated during this time. The song is in Sanskrit - the oldest prevalent language in India. I am trying to translate it here for you all -

Madhu-Kaitabha-Vidhvamsi Vidhaatri-Varade Namah
Rupam Dehi Jayam Dehi Yasho Dehi Dvisho Jahi
Mahishasura-Nirnaashi Bhaktanaam Sukhade Namah

Meaning -

This 3rd verse is saying that Goddess Durga killed many devils like Madhu and Kaitabh. She herself is the blessing. O, Goddess! bless my personality and victory. Bless me fame and bless me all the spiritual growth.

View attachment WhatsApp Video 2022-09-24 at 2.26.35 PM.mp4

Partha

Silver Member
This forum has become a part of my soul since the days I started working at Langtrees. I love the way Mrs. Langtrees Calls it the army of her and slowly i have taken into the habit of posting things close to my heart.​

Here's what I am feeling now - Happy, Excited, and Super Charged up.

It's that time of the year again that we Bengalis wait for. It's Durga Puja (goddess Durga is worshipped and it is believed she comes down to live with her parents this time) and Mahalaya - the mark of the festivities beginning here is tomorrow. The streets are all decked up with lights and everyone is in a happy mood with party spirits running down their veins.

Durga Puja is basically a 5 days festival with a lot of rituals and marks her victory of her over evil powers. You can read the rest here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durga_Puja if you like.

Here's a video of how the pandals or houses are decorated during this time. The song is in Sanskrit - the oldest prevalent language in India. I am trying to translate it here for you all -

Madhu-Kaitabha-Vidhvamsi Vidhaatri-Varade Namah
Mahishasura-Nirnaashi Bhaktanaam Sukhade Namah

Meaning -

This 3rd verse is saying that Goddess Durga killed many devils like Madhu and Kaitabh. She herself is the blessing. O, Goddess! bless my personality and victory. Bless me fame and bless me all the spiritual growth.

View attachment 145989
Nice blog. It gives a fair idea of the festival.
Can you share some pictures of the city completely dressed up during this festival? It will help others have a glimpse of the city during the biggest festival of Bengalis.

Polly Lee

Polly đź’–đź’–đź’–
Legend Member
May the goddess shower you with her strength and love." "May Maa Durga bless you with good health, happiness, and success on this auspicious occasion of Durga Puja." "Durga Puja Shubho!" "May Maa Durga's divine blessings be with you always."
1697932913613.png

Local Guides Connect - [RECAP] Durga Puja Photowalk 2020 - Kolkata - Local  Guides Connect

Durga Puja Pandal, Mudi Ali, Kolkata | . | prithwish2006 | Flickr
File:Durga Puja Lights.jpg - Wikipedia
Diaries of a compulsive traveller: Glimpses of Durga Puja 2015, Kolkata  (Part II)

Last edited by a moderator:

Anna LD

Bong Beauty ll LT Digital Team
Legend Member
Nice blog. It gives a fair idea of the festival.
Can you share some pictures of the city completely dressed up during this festival? It will help others have a glimpse of the city during the biggest festival of Bengalis.
Will keep posting more!