• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Is The World Really Obsessed With Facebook?

svengali

Foundation Member
Sadly, this is probably true.

Every time I go out I see people walking around with their little I-somethings held up in front of them thumbing away at the touch-screen. In restaurants and theatres ditto. They ignore the companion and everything else that is happening and click/tap away like zombies.

I joined facebook once and ditched it after a couple of weeks as a complete waste of time.

DDxoxo

Live, Love & Believe
Legend Member
:cool:
It is just how it is these days,
How else will you keep up with your children,
Your young nephews & nieces
& all your friends who live all over the rest of the world.
Its so easy to know how their families are doing,
How they are...
if you dont keep up.... you get left behind!

Reactions: Dez

svengali

Foundation Member
Well, I joined Facebook to keep up with my first grandson but found it far more satisfying to drop by my daughter's house and give them both a hug personally. Same goes for the rest of the family.

honestman

Gold Member
If people want to contact me directly, then they've got my freaking email address.
If they REALLY wish to speak to me, there's my mobile. If they really want to hang out, then my car is there but don't take me to where the coffee or a cup of tea is at least $4 or a $15 for a meal or I might refuse.

The more connected we are the less individual we wanted to be with our own time (as I've wrote on the other thread). Ask any youth in Indonesia, facebook is their daily bread. This world already revolves around a trend that quantity is quality; at least within the context of social media.

Unless if you're very good looking and your last name is biba or gaga, then yeah - it has its' purpose.

Instead of obsessing one another in Facebook why can't they do something for them and themselves only? I'm just slowly finishing something I've been working on for four years as a hobby.

T

Tania Admin

I'm on fb quite a bit. I feel I can still hang with friends and family, who are all over the world, everyday, it's an awesome tool, it gives me laughs, it's informative with up to date news, love local for sale sites,,,,,etc,,,,,, Yep I love fb. :)

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy no facebook for Meeeee, does anyone have any idea how much money that web site makes? it must be in the Millions or has it hit the Billions yet, facebook can be very costly

honestman

Gold Member
so basically you don't go out much?.... hehe:D

Well there's only two things in my mind - I need to save enough to start that ETF investment portfolio sometime this year, at the same time keeping my sanity fullfilled and in check with W/Ls :).

The only last $15 I spent was on a lonely Christmas day @ Nandos'. A bit of saturated fat for the 2013 once is enough for me.

DDxoxo

Live, Love & Believe
Legend Member
:(
AWWWW
Thats mean!
In any case already my son has made me be unable to see his posts
so Facebook will be here to stay as kids can block who they want to anyways:(

T

Tania Admin

This is why FB will be non existant in 5 years for young people.

They really dont want their older family members knowing what they are up to anymore.

Its all in the custom settings,,,I have mine permanently set so certain people on my fb can not see my posts. Its that simple :)

W

wr3xr

I'm only going by what my younger school aged casual employees tell me. They are concerned with privacy (lol) and snapchat etc has become more popular

T

Tania Admin

I'm only going by what my younger school aged casual employees tell me. They are concerned with privacy (lol) and snapchat etc has become more popular
I don't like snapchat or instagram,,if I can't stay in touch on fb there is a problem.

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
i think snap chat and instagram do not store pics or vids for any period of time like FB. maybe that is why the youngsters are moving on

W

wr3xr

The programs themselves dont store anything but youngins save it pretty quickly ;)

I went to lunch with a mate during the week and he tweeted and instagrammed our lunch:rolleyes:

Purple Haze

Purple Haze
Silver Member
Its just how it is these days. young ones old ones even in between ones are always on FB. Not quite sure bout the ins and outs though I've just learnt how to Share. I like to check my FB most nights but I don't necessarily go on to chat so does that mean I'm addicted?

TheRoamingEyeball

Gold Member
It makes connection between people easier, but less meaningful. I used to have a calendar that had everyone's birthday on it so when their birthday swung round I could say happy birthday and it mean something, instead of Facebook prompting everyone on your friends' list to post on your wall. There isn't really a need to catch up in person either, with everyone posting their daily lives for friends to see. Although in a way that would make the in person catch up more meaningful, going out of your way to see someone when you technically don't really need to for information exchange.

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
i was skimming threw my tv guide and noticed on ABS2 a program called " don't blame Facebook " lol :)

W

wr3xr

I had an interesting convo with my mate who was dumped by this real bitch. His life has turned to shit but her FB is full of her great new life.

As an outsider looking in, its easy to see 90% of FB users will only post the good things in their life to make it out that their life is better than it is.

The self esteem levels must me dropping at an alarming rate.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
i was skimming threw my tv guide and noticed on ABS2 a program called " don't blame Facebook " lol :)

Just blame it on its founder who originally created it to meet women on campus. Stupid idea that make this punter at heart super rich.