Is SEX something the world needs?πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ˜πŸ˜˜πŸ€˜

Jo India

Apprentice Forum Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
What are the basic human needsβ€”and where does sex fit into the picture whether or not we live with chronic illness?

I’ve been considering these questions in light of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, a highly-respected theory that views basic human needs in a hierarchy of importance, with the most basic on the bottom of the pyramid. Here β€˜s a diagram I put together of the hierarchy:
πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›
Physiological needs – air, food, water, shelter, sleep, clothingβ€”are the most important for human beings. Without these, living gets very hardβ€”even impossible. Some argue that sex should fall here as it is so integral to human life. I disagree and believe it belongs under love and belonging–but I get ahead of the hierarchy.
πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›
Moving up the pyramid, we find ourselves at safety or security. This type of need includes family, property, income, and health. As chronic illness patients, we especially know what an important role trying to achieve a healthy state plays in our lives.

That middle step is where we find love and belonging. This involves our social ties and friendships, family, connection to others, and intimate relationships. This is where I personally place sexual intimacy. Please note that that’s just my personal hierarchy due to the nature of my relationship with my husband and sexual partner.
😘😘😘😘😘😘😘πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œβ€β€β€β€β€πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›πŸ’›

Jo India

Staff member
Legend Member
A good sex life is good for your heart. Besides being a great way to raise your heart rate, sex helps keep your estrogen and testosterone levels in balance. β€œWhen either one of those is low you begin to get lots of problems, like osteoporosis and even heart disease,” Pinzone says. Having sex more often may help to develop individualised skills.

Sally Sexting

Sexting Queen - Fun & Flirty
Legend Member
Well all I can say is yes to the above statement
SEX is something the world needs
The benefits of sex for women include:
Lower blood pressure
Better immune system
Better heart health, possibly including a lower risk for heart disease
Improved self-esteem
Decreased depression and anxiety
Increased libido
Immediate, natural pain relief
Better sleep
Increased intimacy and closeness to a sexual partner
Overall stress reduction, both physiologically and emotional

Jo India

Staff member
Legend Member
Well all I can say is yes to the above statement
SEX is something the world needs
The benefits of sex for women include:
Lower blood pressure
Better immune system
Better heart health, possibly including a lower risk for heart disease
Improved self-esteem
Decreased depression and anxiety
Increased libido
Immediate, natural pain relief
Better sleep
Increased intimacy and closeness to a sexual partner
Overall stress reduction, both physiologically and emotional

Wow sally you really sound so informative

Jo India

Staff member
Legend Member
Human interest in sex can be thought of as a built-in imperative: Survival of the species depends on it. And although sexual desire tends to wax and wane over the course of one's life, depending on external demands and relationship satisfaction, it often serves as a passport to bonding, intimacy, pleasure, and even human growth and healing.

People engage in sexual activity for many reasons: To feel alive, to maintain a vital aspect of human functioning, to feel desirable or attractive, to achieve closeness, or to please a partner they love. Sex can be one of the most difficult subjects for a couple to discuss: Bodies and interests change over time, and most people will experience some type of sexual problem at some point in life. Therefore, open communication is essential to intimacy and long-term satisfaction.

Jo India

Staff member
Legend Member
so true john we need proper utilisation facilities such that growing population becomes a pathway to promote growth in daily lives we are all into.

LongHair

Legend Member
Sex is more than an act of pleasure, it's the ability to be able to feel so close to a person, so connected that it is almost breathing to the point you feel you can't take it πŸ§œβ€β™€οΈ
Hi Vineta, Et Al,
not to be argumentative, however I am not entirely convinced that what you have described here is purely sex. Or perhaps it actually demonstrates the difference in how men and women percieve sex. Obviously I cannot speak for women, however I can for myself and many men that I know ( I am not professing that I speak for all males). I agree that sex is an act of pleasure, however I have had plenty of sex without the connection you speak of.

Some could argue in terms of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs that sex actually sits on the bottom of that pyramid as a primal instinct to propagate the human species.

Who knows, I certainly dont, I do know that sex within a loving relationship and recreational sex are two completely different experiences, well for me at least.

Jelliicopter

Gold Member
The world is less able to support the growing human population. We're definitely not an endangered species.
The world is able to support our species if we are smart about it. We already produce plenty of food and clean water.

It's just the neo-liberal profit driven ideologies won't allow it

Jo India

Staff member
Legend Member
The world is able to support our species if we are smart about it. We already produce plenty of food and clean water.

It's just the neo-liberal profit driven ideologies won't allow it
True , I would like to bring focus on ,If you judge the ability of a monkey by comparing it to a lion the conclusion definitely won't be satisfactory mate. :)

Jo India

Staff member
Legend Member
Hi Vineta, Et Al,
not to be argumentative, however I am not entirely convinced that what you have described here is purely sex. Or perhaps it actually demonstrates the difference in how men and women percieve sex. Obviously I cannot speak for women, however I can for myself and many men that I know ( I am not professing that I speak for all males). I agree that sex is an act of pleasure, however I have had plenty of sex without the connection you speak of.

Some could argue in terms of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs that sex actually sits on the bottom of that pyramid as a primal instinct to propagate the human species.

Who knows, I certainly dont, I do know that sex within a loving relationship and recreational sex are two completely different experiences, well for me at least.
lol why isn't vineta replying may be she is busy ?

Nev

Gold Member
Maslow's needs hierarchy is just one perspective in psychology. It has some support but is often contradicted, such as whenever somebody ignores a basic need while watching TV, risks their life to protect somebody else, or fasts for days for mystic/psychological/religious purposes. I've got issues so I started doing psych at uni to get a handle on myself.

Sex does stuff with lots of happy hormones, particularly oxytocin, which is very involved with childbirth, lactation and mother-baby bonding. Low oxytocin is associated with anxiety/grumpyness/mechanical sex...

FB_IMG_1637720017242.jpg

janny-ammerson

Gold Member
It's a basic human urge. But the only basic human urge that we don't need to survive.
As it's a basic urge, the feeling is as strong as our need to sleep or drink water. So it can seem like a need more than a want.

Jo India

Staff member
Legend Member
It's a basic human urge. But the only basic human urge that we don't need to survive.
As it's a basic urge, the feeling is as strong as our need to sleep or drink water. So it can seem like a need more than a want.
This is authentic