• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Is private health insurance worth the cost?

Someonesomething

Bronze Member
I've got private health insurance for the extras but now that I've gotten my wisdom teeth out im not sure why I'm still with them

Goodstuff36 Bon truc in french

Goodstuff. Bon truc in french
Legend Member
I've got private health insurance for the extras but now that I've gotten my wisdom teeth out im not sure why I'm still with them
Depends if you are working or not you are still on a waiting list private or not all you get is a private room and a choice of doctors most important is you get dental coverage try eat a steak or peanuts with no teeth have you seen the the latest bunch of dodgy doctors they have at the hospital's health system needs a good shake up.

Gutsy

Silver Member
Ancillaries is probably no but you have to drop it completely and then put the money you would have spent somewhere where you can get access to some of it ie mortgage offset account.

I found this out after reading a newspaper article and then added up my last 2 years of claims. Paid $6000 to get $4000 back.

My very expensive dentist said few people work this out for themselves (and then gave me a 10% discount).

wildcoon

Bronze Member
Not worth it in my opinion. Medicare tends to cover the absolute essentials. But it probably depends on your health needs

Col Thims

Conk
Silver Member
I find it necessary for me having had two joint replacement surgeries and other smaller operations. It is costly item on the monthly budget but for convenience and no waiting for a spot it is worth it.
The cost can be brought down by applying a excess, for me health insurance essential.

peartywerty

Diamond Member
Are you working full time? If you are it's tax effective to have private health insurance.

have you seen the the latest bunch of dodgy doctors they have at the hospital's health system needs a good shake up.

No I haven't. Are they covered in tattoos, originally from third world countries or worse?

doob

Legend Member
In ANY country, 70% of the nation's health budget is spent on 15% of the population and that 15% is aged 63 years old and above. Why? Because that's when the human body starts to degenerate and procedures like hips operations, angioplasty, heart bypasses, cancer treatments and other ailments come into play.

If you go by the public health system, you're kidding yourself in some ways because the queue for surgeries is kilometres long, worsened by an increasing aging population and COVID which delayed many surgeries. Remember while waiting for the public health system to get to you is not simple - you're looking at living in a world of pain and discomfort in the leadup to it.

Few health insurance companies make money, in fact none in Australia. That's why many diversify into car, property insurance etc which does make money and thus keep afloat. HBF e.g. is a non-profit company, a surgical team of anaesthetist, nurses, pre-op and post-op and a surgeon will NEVER be covered by health insurance premiums. But it means, by being insured, you won't be on a year or two year long waiting list of pain, pain and pain. And if you're a heart patient good luck if you are alive when it's your turn.

You NEED health insurance, tailored to your budget. You won't be sorry, believe me, especially as you get older. Qualifying times stop people who expecting to get ill and then join up just days before procedures.

Quality of care? Okay, I have seen the public health system IF and only IF you're lucky enough to get in and warded. The beds, the care etc is VERY impressive. But the minute you show a hint of recovery, you'll be discharged so the bed can be used for someone else and then some months later you'll be back due to a relapse as you were discharged too early. Private care means you don't wait for a procedure BUT there are things lacking e.g. patient to staff ratio isn't as high, your beds aren't as comfortable as they're used to 'til they just can't be used any more. An ailing mother of a friend of mine went to a private hospital in Perth, her arm had been operated on. The nursing staff plonked the food on her bedside tray and walked off. The patient couldn't cut the meat and so on and called for assistance. A person turned up and said she'll be back to help but it was a good half hour later. At least she got her operation though.

Finally, I encourage EVERYONE to get ambulance insurance at least. It's a pittance for what you'll pay if you're not insured. Go well all.

doob

Legend Member
Are you working full time? If you are it's tax effective to have private health insurance.

No I haven't. Are they covered in tattoos, originally from third world countries or worse?
"have you seen the the latest bunch of dodgy doctors they have at the hospital's health system needs a good shake up."

Anyone died from the treatment of these so called dodgy doctors? And local doctors aren't tattooed or dodgy then?

Goodstuff36 Bon truc in french

Goodstuff. Bon truc in french
Legend Member
Nope same doctors nurses food just a private room with a shower n toilet not a ward.
Although large donations can escalate your position on the waiting list.

Honey Diamond

African American Princess
Gold Member
Private health insurance has saved my ass quite a few times now— I’m happy to pay for it knowing that I’ll be glad I had it when something pops up.

Channelle

Legend Member
" .... is aged 63 years old and above. Why? Because that's when the human body starts to degenerate and procedures like hips operations, angioplasty, heart bypasses, cancer treatments and other ailments come into play"

Now there is a bright start to my day at work.
May have to go home to try and stay safe.