i phone the pros & cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I am looking at a i phone. Can members please tell me the pros and cons. I played with one in China that a friend owned and seemed very easy to use.

N

Naughty Thoughts

As far as I can tell, the advantage of an iPhone is that it's an iPhone.

It has plenty of eye candy, pretty graphics and a sexy touch screen - but I use my phone for making and receiving phone calls. From observing others, I have seen (twice) someone hang up on the person they were talking to because their cheek touched the "hang up" part of the touch screen. Not sure how common this effect is.

Another disadvantage is that it has that pretty Apple piano-finish on the outside. Which means every fingerprint, scratch, speck of dust and stain stands out and wants regular cleaning (if you want it to look good). I have yet to see a nice cover for it (but I'm sure that there are more on the way).

The advantages are that it will have lots of applications available (if you need applications), can play music (if you want to listen to music but not carry a phone plus a music player).

I'm not an Apple hater (I have and like my 120Gb iPod), but I tend to think about these things in a very practical manner. To me, it makes more sense to get the "gPhone" (a phone very similar to the iPhone that is being put out by The Google Group). It has wider integration, better support and more options for connecting to non-Apple computers.

K

kevin

Hi Maryanne. The main advantage of the iPhone is its music and video capabilities...however... it does have disadvantages like not being able to send mms or make video calls. also the mobile internet is very expensive to operate because currently none of the mobile providers have an internet cap or anything like that.

i would suggest something like the HTC diamond. maybe put off getting the iPhone until the next generation comes out so they can work out all the kinks?

hope to of been helpful :)

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I did get a i phone, I also got a great deal from optus. It costs $129 per month but unlimited landline, mobile, text and voicemail. I also get 2 Gigs of data transfer for my email.
Luckily I found a cover with a screen protector.
I have found it very easy to use most features already, love the GPS and has a good quality photo camera. I was told it also has a built in tape recorder but haven't worked that one out yet.

N

Naughty Thoughts

Apparently, the voice recorder function was an unsubstantiated rumour but for which third-party applications are available.

It seems to be a little tricky ro install, but given a few more weeks there will probably be a very nice drag-and-drop version available (if there isn't one already).

Edit: Yes, there is.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kevin

Thats a pretty good deal you scored there Maryanne. Optus has been stuffing me around lately though. Every now and then I call someone or someone calls me I can't hear them and have to call them again.... and my nokia navigator's GPS doesn't work anymore. Apparently its happening to a lot of people. GRR.

If you go to Youtube.com and search the iPhone tutorials I'm sure you'll learn something about your phone. Ive learned that if you ever need to know anything just Youtube it. Haha some people just have too much time on their hands.

happy hunting!

M

Miss Macey

I love my iPhone (i know thats sad) ::)

I am not sure about the "hang up" incidents your mentioning Lone Road, it may have been the previous generation of iPhones. Mine is the 3G one and when you answer a call and put the phone to your ear, it blocks out the touch screen until you take it away from your face again, at this time the hang up button and other in call features reappear. I assume it is the pressure across the better part of the screen that prompts the screen to lock out (I'm not up on the technology).

I too went with Optus for mine... a $79 dollar cap ($550 calls and sms, 250mb download) but as we have wireless broadband at home I just connect to our own network and that doesn't eat into my downloads... However I am sure the novelty will wear off soon (its only been 2 weeks) :alien:

M

Matt71

Now there's the Google G1 and Blackberry Storm lol. There's always a new one coming out, bit like computers nowadays. Dual core Duo today, Quad core tomorrow.

M

Miss Macey

Okay... so as i said the polish has worn off the iphone.... I still love it... but do miss having MMS and video recording capabilities.

Not having MMS means all pics have to be sent via the (in my case) Optus network internet thingy via email

Status
Not open for further replies.