Hepatitis B Around the World

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
  • Two billion people have been infected with the hepatitis B virus (one out of three people).
  • Approximately 1.5 million people become newly infected each year.
  • Almost 300 million people are chronically infected.
  • Approximately 10% of infected individuals are diagnosed.
  • An estimated 820,000 people die each year from hepatitis B and related complications such as liver cancer.¹
  • Approximately two people die each minute from hepatitis B.
  • This subject started on another thread so I thought it best to start its own thread.

dudelebowski

Gold Member
Had to have Hep B shots at a place i used to work. From memory after two shots they would take a blood sample
to see if the vaccine levels were hi enough. Ended up needing 3 jabs.
Didn't mind cos the company paid for the whole process.

dudelebowski

Gold Member
  • Two billion people have been infected with the hepatitis B virus (one out of three people).
  • An estimated 820,000 people die each year from hepatitis B and related complications such as liver cancer.¹
  • This subject started on another thread so I thought it best to start its own thread.
I herd that in Thailand (due to poor infrastructure) sewage makes its way into the waterways. Hep B that's in the sewage then gets into the oysters and mussels and people have been eating them and catching Hep.

sircurious

Legend Member
I herd that in Thailand (due to poor infrastructure) sewage makes its way into the waterways. Hep B that's in the sewage then gets into the oysters and mussels and people have been eating them and catching Hep.
That's Hepatitis A which people can catch by eating undercooked or raw shellfish from dirty waterways. Hepatitis B is caught from being exposed to infectious blood or body fluids - most common ways is through intravenous drug use and unprotected sex.

janny-ammerson

Gold Member
Thank you so much!

piyo

Gold Member
Hep B is very common within asian genes. However, it doesn't have a lot of discrimination like HIV/AIDS.
As others said, Hep B is treatable and considered normal. Most people have vaccination against it anyway.

WildBrumby

Just A Former Rider In This Online Rodeo
Legend Member
Some industries encourage vaccination against Hep B but you need to pay for the shot if workplaces don’t cover the cost as it is not in the immunisation regime. Some examples are plumbers, health workers or care support.