• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Mrs Langtrees

Manager @ Langtrees
Foundation Member
Getting an STI test

http://www.getthefacts.health.wa.gov.au/2/51/1/getting_an_sti_test.pm

An STI test is to check if you have a sexually transmitted infection (STI). It is quick and painless. It also gives you a chance to ask questions about other aspects of sexual health. It's really important to have an STI test even if you don't have any symptoms.

Who should have an STI test?

If you are having sex, then you need to think about when to have an STI test. If you have any symptoms or worries about your sexual health, then arrange a test straightaway with your doctor or sexual health clinic.

It's a good idea to have an STI test if:

· You think you might have an STI.

· You have had unprotected sex, that is, without a condom ordam - including vaginal, oral anal sex.

· You have had a condom break or if it falls off during sex (also see emergency contraception).

· Your partner has another sexual partner or has had previous sexual partners.

· You have shared injecting equipment.

· You are starting a new sexual relationship.

If you are unsure whether you need an STI test, phone the Sexual Health Helpline on 9227 6178 (Perth metropolitan callers) or 1800 198 205 (country callers).

Do I need a Medicare card?

Some clinics require a Medicare card, others don't. When making an appointment, check whether they require a Medicare card. A person 15 years and over can get their own Medicare card. You will need to go to a Medicare office with identification and complete a form.

What happens during an STI test?

You will be seen by a qualified health professional, like a doctor or nurse, and they usually begin by asking you about your sexual history. Some of these questions may seem quite personal, such as:

· Your sexual orientation (e.g. straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual).

· Number of sexual partners.

· Sexual practices.

· Whether you have any symptoms.

· Whether you have injected drugs.

· Whether you have tattoos or body piercing.

This information is kept confidential and it is a good opportunity for you to ask any questions about your sexual health that might have been worrying you.

After taking a history of your sexual activity the doctor or nurse will perform an examination. This means that the health professional will look at your external genital area and maybe inside your mouth, vagina or anus for any signs of STIs.

The following tests might be done for males:

· Taking a urine sample.

The following tests might be done for females:

Vaginal swabs. A long cotton bud takes a sample of vaginal secretions. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can do this yourself.

· Sometimes taking a urine sample.

Some STIs, such as hepatitis, syphilis and HIV, require a sample of blood taken from the arm.

Getting the results

Test results normally take about one week to come back. If your result is positive, sexual partners also need to be tested and treated. This is called contact tracing. Otherwise you could keep re-infecting each other. But someone with symptoms of an STI could be treated before getting the test results back. Finding out that you have an STI can feel isolating, but remember that it's not the end of the world. Talking to a parent or trusted friend can help.

Pap smears

A Pap smear tests for early changes in the cells of the cervix. Every woman should have a Pap smear two years after becoming sexually active. Pap smears can be done at the same time as an STI test, when the vaginal swab is taken.

Sherry

Staff member
Legend Member
Great thread-I wish that more people went and had STI check ups alot more often. I am always shocked by how many sexually active individuals have never gone and had one done ever!! It's scary to think of how many people are walking around with STIs and not being aware of it. The fact that many STIs don't always show symptoms means that people don't seek treatment until it's too late. They really need to start hammering it into kids at school, the importance of safe sex and of getting tested regulary.

D

Debby xox

Sexuality is a means of pleasure, fulfillment and intimate connection with other people. But it can also be a source of pain anguish. So it's perhaps no surprise that of all the areas in health care, the "STI check" is one of the most fraught. But, with a little information to counter all the misinformation out there, an STI check can be a really positive step towards keeping yourself healthy.
I personally think getting regular checks is very important, especially if you are sexually active with lots of different partners. Education is the key to this section. Love it ...

Dallas

Legend Member
I get a full STI/HIV and Hepatitis check done every three months and have done so since I became single 3 years ago. It involves a blood test and urine sample and due to the nature of the test, results can't be given over the phone so I have to make an appointment with my GP so she can give me the results in person. She doesn't do a physical examination like @Alexis Lily does but she said she would do if I felt I had any unusual symptoms at all although i doubt she'd give me a slap on the bum afterwards :p She also said that she tests some w/l's regularly and has never had a positive STI come back with a w/l only guys. Still, I think everyone should get tested regularly.

Bambi

Creature in the Shadows
Legend Member
MAGENTA CLINIC
Clinic open Wednesday: 9:30am to 1pm
Call 9328 1387 to make an appointment
Friendly Female Doctor Available

• · Clinic Appointments Free of Charge
    • · Anonymous and Confidential
    • No Medicare card needed
    • · You do not have to use your real name
    • · FREE STI, HIV and Hepatitis Testing
    • · Contraception Advice

headerbg.gif

Summer fun

Diamond Member
ive never had an STI test done before (but ive never had many sexual partners when i was young, and ive used protection when i have partners now im older). I feel a bit strange seeing my GP about this, what is a convenient (not much waiting time) clinic that is centrally located ?

Snowy

Legend Member
ive never had an STI test done before (but ive never had many sexual partners when i was young, and ive used protection when i have partners now im older). I feel a bit strange seeing my GP about this, what is a convenient (not much waiting time) clinic that is centrally located ?
Hello Summer fun, personally if it was me I would talk to my GP about it than a complete stranger at a Clinic, as a GP they have heard it all before. Yes it would be a little awkward to ask your GP but once you ask the question you will be fine, had a similar awkwardness when I asked my diabetic doctor about not getting erections anymore, sorry I waited so long to ask. All the best mate don't wait too long.
Regards Snowy.

priamex

Gold Member
I get checked about every 6 months, I use smarthealth.me. Costs $95 to check for everything - just pay, take a form to a clinic , get blood/urine sampled then results via sms. I think it also includes a doctor consultation if anything comes up positive, but so far I've been clear.

MistressBetty

𝓑𝓓𝓢𝓜 𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓵 𝓟𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓬𝓮𝓼𝓼
Legend Member
Id heavily recommend going to Ainslie House (Perth, connected to Royal Perth Hospital) to get check ups. Everythings free including if you need any medications etc etc When i went for a check after an accident, They supplied me with PEP ( Post exposure prophylaxis- which is just a precaution incase youve come into contact with anyone you may be paranoid has HIV to ward it off before it develops ) completely free! Theyre amazing and see SWs all the time, and are so chill and professional about everything.

Chloe Kind

Chloe Kind
Silver Member
If you're located in the Perth CBD area another location you can go to for your sti checks is Peer Based Harm Reduction WA. It's located on Aberdeen st in Northbridge. There is a lovely nurse that works there most weekdays and is able to do all sti and sexual health checks. No Medicare card is required and no payment is necessary. Simply make a call to the front desk and they'll let you know when she is available. Appointments are available but also not necessary.

Tilly James

Bronze Member
Great thread-I wish that more people went and had STI check ups alot more often. I am always shocked by how many sexually active individuals have never gone and had one done ever!! It's scary to think of how many people are walking around with STIs and not being aware of it. The fact that many STIs don't always show symptoms means that people don't seek treatment until it's too late. They really need to start hammering it into kids at school, the importance of safe sex and of getting tested regulary.
It's shocking how few people are aware. But every new relationship I've had I'm firm that we have a mutual full STI screen and it's been such a peace of mind in my adult life. It's always easier to walk somewhere if you can see what's on the way.

PantySlayer

Self-Proclaimed Peach Connoisseur
Diamond Member
It's shocking how few people are aware. But every new relationship I've had I'm firm that we have a mutual full STI screen and it's been such a peace of mind in my adult life. It's always easier to walk somewhere if you can see what's on the way.

True that. I like to get myself screened every few months anyway, even though I always use a condom with people I meet in my personal life.

I did however ask girls that I've seen more than once in a new relationship that we both get tested.

Lets you have more peace of mind, which in turn leads to more fun in the bedroom without always having to have the thought in the back of your head that if you go down on her or she does on you, that your not going to end up with a sti.

squirter

Bronze Member
Definitely something that people need to take seriously!! It’s risky business at times, so it pays to ask and to keep yourself up to date

lucylee

Gold Member
Relationships- when it becomes serious and exclusive. This is a MUST for me. Its really give that peace of mind and a mutual respect that both parties deserved.

darktoblue

Bronze Member
Id heavily recommend going to Ainslie House (Perth, connected to Royal Perth Hospital) to get check ups. Everythings free including if you need any medications etc etc When i went for a check after an accident, They supplied me with PEP ( Post exposure prophylaxis- which is just a precaution incase youve come into contact with anyone you may be paranoid has HIV to ward it off before it develops ) completely free! Theyre amazing and see SWs all the time, and are so chill and professional about everything.
nice

weiwei13120

Bronze Member
Do I need to book before come in?