• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Footy importance in WA

Hornyball

Silver Member
Bit concerned on the trend in TV news, especially channel 7, on the reporting of deaths, accidents the funerals of people who just happen to be footballers and not high profiled people either. Yes very traffic when we lose people but it seems that there seems to be a bigger tragedy if they played football which is totally out of context.

There are many people that get killed in tragic circumstances but no huge stories on TV and there shouldn't be.

It would seem if anyone does something against a footballer it's a kin to cows in India.

Common let's keep it realistic.

Just a whinge.

honestman

Gold Member
Well at least not as worse in the US - where there are more extra headlines on the casualties of the "war on terror" as opposed to the hundreds of more deaths caused by peanut butter allergies.

But I hear ya - no matter where we are the media is still called the "media"; overly-sensationalised.

C

Contrarian

In the last century, two incredible things happened on the same day - The Berlin Wall got broken down and the two Germanys reunified. And Nelson Mandela got released.

The ABC TV news had it as lead stories. Channel 9's lead story was that Donald Trump was divorcing Ivana Trump. And both the world events were after the commercial breaks.

And for all our whinging - Channel 9, 10 and 7 rate higher than the ABC - which is a GREAT broadcaster!

Smoggy

Foundation Member
I cant understand what the fascination is with footy. Its a Victorian game which they like to control and in terms of a world game its a very minor sport. When its one sided which happens often is really boring and its the only game I know where you get a point for missing the goal. I also forgot to mention that most of the commentators and experts are even more opinionated than Contrarian.

Demon

Legend Member
Channel 7 has AFL rights, so it is a form of promotion. There is very little 'news' on any TV station. Mostly it is gossip or promotion of programs or other commercial or political interests. I now don't watch any of the ersatz news.

svengali

Foundation Member
All sports are pretty stupid if you think about it.

Well, that is a sentiment I can wholeheartedly agree with.

All sport is basically a pointless exercise carried out for the enjoyment of the participants and the entertainment of those who like to watch. Australians generally have somehow managed to elevate this into something akin to a religion and accord sportsmen and to a (far) lesser extent, sportswomen status far beyond what their contribution to society merits.

I could certainly live with a lot less media hype about sport, especially A.F.L. which seems to attract the worst of the moronic commentators.

bushseeker

Foundation Member
I cant understand what the fascination is with footy. Its a Victorian game which they like to control and in terms of a world game its a very minor sport. When its one sided which happens often is really boring .[/QUOTobviously didnt watch the fremantle richmond and west coast port game this week-- both absalute classics