• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Does any one smoke and trying to quit

CraftyBear

Silver Member
Does any one smoke and trying to quit or has anyone quit if so how did you do it

I think the most important factor is admitting you really do want to stop, until you can do that Lowlee you will find it tough.

I gave up almost 30 years ago and I was smoking up to 40 a day at the time.

I'd had a few false starts at stopping before deciding I'd had enough. A few months earlier I'd done a Uni assignment on "habit breaking." I thought I may as well try and put some of it into practice.

So, basically, what I did for quite a few days was to make a note of the time whenever I lit up, without trying to change my usual behaviour. Even after the second day I noticed that there was a definite pattern. Quite a few of the cigarettes were at the same time each day and they weren't at "usual" times, for example after morning tea or lunch. They were at times like 9.37am, for example, +/- a couple of minutes. I think I did about a weeks recording before starting to address it.

The first ones I cut out were the "regular" ones. I'd done up a time sheet and before I lit up, I'd check the sheet. If it was at a "regular" time, I'd distract myself and go for walk around work or make some calls. I think I may have also put in a 30 minute time limit before being "allowed" to light up. So after a few days of this, the new "regulars" began to appear and I'd do the same as previously. I continued doing this for a couple of weeks and I was down to about 3/4 per day. At some point I got some Nicorette and started chewing the gum in between cigarettes.

From there it was just a case of slowing weaning off the gum. That took quite a while but eventually I no longer needed it.

As I said earlier, it's almost 30 years since I stopped and if someone lights up near me and I get that first whiff, I still go for the top pocket lol.

Best of luck Lowlee, you will feel so much better (especially financially lol) after you finally do give up.

T

Tania Admin

Does any one smoke and trying to quit or has anyone quit if so how did you do it
I used Champix.Over 18 months of no smoking now. I'm very glad I quit for a number of reasons. Damage was done though. I found out, just as all the Covid19 stuff started, that I have lung disease.

trackman88

Gold Member
Champix worked for me, i found out that i have to have an operation, and that the surgeon would prefer that i not be a smoker as the operation is fairly intense.. so champix worked, gave up on the first pack, but also i wanted to give up as well, that helps.. you have to want to give up.. now been 6 weeks, no smokes

Roxan

Gold Member
I went to vaping, I made my own mix with nicotine until I cut it right down completely. Not everyone can take champix and itā€™s banned by the FDA in many countries due to varied results and negative effects it has on people.

Alex32

Bronze Member
I quit and didnā€™t smoke for many years but then started again and lasted 3 years when I decided to quit 4 months ago. In my case I didnā€™t use any nicotine patches or whatever. I decided to stop and that was it

SexyKangaroo

Silver Member
Quitting smoking is a decision that depends on each person, I know many people who had to use patches or vape to quit smoking, but I also know people who just made the decision and quit.
Donā€™t judge yourself if you canā€™t quit smoking fast, remember that every body and human is different, what works for others might not work for you, what I can say is that you should try to identify when or under what circumstances you most smoke, maybe identifying that will help you quit.

RandiiSavage

Silver Member
I started vaping and was a gradual cut off...maybe over 4 months or so. Stopped for 4 years now back to 1 smoke a day for fun...somedays I don't smoke at all.....

Clare

Gold Member
When you stop smoking, nicotine withdrawal may give you headaches, affect your mood, or sap your energy. The craving for ā€œjust one dragā€ is tough. Nicotine replacement therapy can curb these urges. Studies show that nicotine gum, lozenges, and patches improve your chances of success when youā€™re also in a quit-smoking program.

janny-ammerson

Gold Member
PracticešŸ˜€

I was a pack a day smoker for years. And I ā€œquitā€ more times than I can remember.

Every time I tried to quit and failed, I learned something about how to quit.

• I learned that the personal will to quit was the only way to actually do it.
  • I learned that the ā€œnic-fitsā€ last 3 days, so after you pass the third day, things get much easier.
  • I learned that just about 2 weeks after you quit, a second round of mind games start to hit your brain pressing thoughts like ā€œI can just have oneā€¦ā€ which lead to failure
  • I learned that my personal attitude had a significant impact on my success or lack when quitting.
  • I learned that keeping track of milestones is absolutely critical to successfully quitting.

CraftyBear

Silver Member
PracticešŸ˜€

I was a pack a day smoker for years. And I ā€œquitā€ more times than I can remember.

Every time I tried to quit and failed, I learned something about how to quit.

• I learned that the personal will to quit was the only way to actually do it.
  • I learned that the ā€œnic-fitsā€ last 3 days, so after you pass the third day, things get much easier.
  • I learned that just about 2 weeks after you quit, a second round of mind games start to hit your brain pressing thoughts like ā€œI can just have oneā€¦ā€ which lead to failure
  • I learned that my personal attitude had a significant impact on my success or lack when quitting.
  • I learned that keeping track of milestones is absolutely critical to successfully quitting.
My experience was very similar, the 3rd day and the 10th day were always very hard. The bottom line was, this time, I REALLY wanted to quit after a lot of false starts.