• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Depression, the Secret We Share - Andrew Solomon

A

AndyRew

"The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality, and it was vitality that seemed to seep away from me in that moment." In a talk equal parts eloquent and devastating, writer Andrew Solomon takes you to the darkest corners of his mind during the years he battled depression. That led him to an eye-opening journey across the world to interview others with depression -- only to discover that, to his surprise, the more he talked, the more people wanted to tell their own stories. (Filmed at TEDxMet.)

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design -- plus science, business, global issues, the arts and much more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nymph

Gold Member
Love TED Talks and this is a great synopsis of the dilemmas people with depression deal with.

Insightful, thought provoking and inspiring. If you ever felt like life was too hard, you will relate to this video like I did.

Thank you for the upload.

Nymph

Gold Member
I like when he describes the difference of treatment between East Africans and Westerners. Very on point.

I like that he portrays a wholistic view of treatments, not promoting medications but understanding that they have a place alongside other therapies.

A

AndyRew

I like when he describes the difference of treatment between East Africans and Westerners. Very on point.

I like that he portrays a wholistic view of treatments, not promoting medications but understanding that they have a place alongside other therapies.
Yes very much digging in deep to find the answer, other then just a few pills to shut ya up, he very deeply understands his profession due to his owe illness.....

Nymph

Gold Member
Yes very much digging in deep to find the answer, other then just a few pills to shut ya up, he very deeply understands his profession due to his owe illness.....

The best counsellors and therapists seem to be those who have survived darkness.

A

AndyRew

The best counsellors and therapists seem to be those who have survived darkness.
Yes, I went through rehab couple of times for things, story for another time, but I always found it hard taking advice from someone that had never really been there, just my opinion at the time

Nymph

Gold Member
Yes, I went through rehab couple of times for things, story for another time, but I always found it hard taking advice from someone that had never really been there, just my opinion at the time

Agreed, an insincere therapist makes anxiety and depression worse. An empathetic ear can turn a bad day good, simply because someone really sees and accepts you through your vulnerability.

True connection in a moment can magically break through what seems like an eternity of isolation. Finally, I'm not alone in this pain, finally someone who listens without those judging eyes that reiterate, "you don't matter". Finally, I feel better.

Never dropped my mask to the world during episodes to become an inpatient. Withdrawal and words were my only friends until I started working this industry. Then I met ladies experiencing the exact same thing I did.

I admire your strength in accepting help and getting through rehab. Many think the pain is normal and never even attempt to heal. For me, the more I did something the better I got at it whether it was heal or self-destruct.

A

AndyRew

Agreed, an insincere therapist makes anxiety and depression worse. An empathetic ear can turn a bad day good, simply because someone really sees and accepts you through your vulnerability.

True connection in a moment can magically break through what seems like an eternity of isolation. Finally, I'm not alone in this pain, finally someone who listens without those judging eyes that reiterate, "you don't matter". Finally, I feel better.

Never dropped my mask to the world during episodes to become an inpatient. Withdrawal and words were my only friends until I started working this industry. Then I met ladies experiencing the exact same thing I did.

I admire your strength in accepting help and getting through rehab. Many think the pain is normal and never even attempt to heal. For me, the more I did something the better I got at it whether it was heal or self-destruct.
Indeed I've always had to conceal most if not all of my emotions due to work and countless spontaneous situations, We just don't have that luxury to care about them really, not that we did anyway when / and given command. I ended up going overseas for my answers trying to retain what sense I had left, however again you must forgive me, that's for another day. But I will say one of our greatest assets we are given is having the ability to respect each-other in all movements of life, nature and so on, it goes very deep. But I'm getting ways of track...there's plenty of time ahead.

Lacie4U

Diamond Member
I ABSOLUTELY. agree with the phrasing used here. " loss of vitality" the energy within me seeping away..yesss this is a profound talk and thankyou for uploading Andy.

QUOTE="AndyRew, post: 404471, member: 48296"]

"The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality, and it was vitality that seemed to seep away from me in that moment." In a talk equal parts eloquent and devastating, writer Andrew Solomon takes you to the darkest corners of his mind during the years he battled depression. That led him to an eye-opening journey across the world to interview others with depression -- only to discover that, to his surprise, the more he talked, the more people wanted to tell their own stories. (Filmed at TEDxMet.)

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks onTechnology, Entertainment and Design -- plus science, business, global issues, the arts and much more.
[/QUOTE]

Dez

...the floor is lava
Legend Member
I've learned a lot about managing my depression in the last few years. It was really easy in the past to hide behind staying at home. I could just be an "introvert".

I don't have the luxury of time to have depression anymore. But it still finds me. It's those tiny slithers, pockets of time when I realise all I want to do is curl into a ball and not deal with anything. I have to find some person strength to make my self. Or just flip to autonomous to get life done. I'll deal with feeling empty later....

Dallas

Legend Member
This is an amazing video, thank you so much for posting it. I watched the whole 30minutes because I could relate to so much of it. And I agree with Tania about times wanting to curl into a ball and sleep, I still have those and it's the worst debilitating feeling ever.

DDxoxo

Live, Love & Believe
Legend Member
I know about times wanting to curl into a ball and sleep, I AM HAVING THEM ATM & IT IS SOOOO debilitating !!

Dallas

Legend Member
I know about times wanting to curl into a ball and sleep, I AM HAVING THEM ATM & IT IS SOOOO debilitating !!

I'm so sorry that you're having these right now DD, because I know how it feels, and makes trying to do all your day to day responsibilities almost impossible some times and the simplest things become like climbing a mountain. Hope you feel better soon -hugs!!