• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Could you do it?

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Been working with someone for over a year now,

Working 6 days and 6 nights, spends their day off at home just playing with the laptop, has no car and speaks very limited english so is too shy to try and catch a bus, so never goes out.
Has no family or friends here as they are all back in their home country so nobody ever comes to visit.
All there they have is a phone call here n there.

Why does this person do it, they do it because they want to save money and make a better life for themselves and most importantly for their family.

Could I do it? No way, I`ld miss the people I care about too much.

Could you?

F

fdoto

I couldn't live that lifestyle as it is.

I could definitely make that choice but I would also work hard to learn the language and expand my life. What an opportunity they are, in some ways, throwing away!

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
I couldn't live that lifestyle as it is.

I could definitely make that choice but I would also work hard to learn the language and expand my life. What an opportunity they are, in some ways, throwing away!

You would be suprised how much they do actually absorb about what`s going on around them.
Worked with a lady from Vietnam once and she was able to teach herself just by looking at what was writtern on the paper or said and seeing what I picked up what different words meant.
She`s been back home for about 3 years now, I`ld love to see what she`s doing now.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
I guess people who go to such extremes must have a very good reason to do so. Good on them.........they are very committed. And even when they are open minded and love to assimilate it won't happen over night. There will be a long time of loneliness and language barrier.
Hmmmm not sure if I could do it. Depends on the situation, on the cultural back ground and on the country you are living in. From a North European point of view there is no point in venturing out to make a better living for the family.
But I do admire the people who are doing it. I hope they succeed in their mission. :noteworthy

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

svengali

Foundation Member
Not that different from the fly-in fly out workers up North.

During their time on the site there isn't much to do aside from work and, of course, no female company but the money is the compensation. Put up with it for a few years and you can set yourself up for life.

If there were some nice people in your friend's workplace they could do a lot to help him (assuming he is a he?) just by encouraging him to take part in discussions and being patient with his limited language skills. Asiatic people in particular are not "pushy" socially - they are more inclined to keep to themselves and it can take a bit of work to get them to come out of their shell. However, the effort is worth making as they are usually smart and hard workers.

When anyone bags the "bloody Asians" I like to ask them how they think they would go if they landed in Vietnam or Laos with a dozen words of the lingo and a bit of cash and had to make a go of it.

C

Clari..

Not that different from the fly-in fly out workers up North.

During their time on the site there isn't much to do aside from work and, of course, no female company but the money is the compensation. Put up with it for a few years and you can set yourself up for life.

If there were some nice people in your friend's workplace they could do a lot to help him (assuming he is a he?) just by encouraging him to take part in discussions and being patient with his limited language skills. Asiatic people in particular are not "pushy" socially - they are more inclined to keep to themselves and it can take a bit of work to get them to come out of their shell. However, the effort is worth making as they are usually smart and hard workers.

When anyone bags the "bloody Asians" I like to ask them how they think they would go if they landed in Vietnam or Laos with a dozen words of the lingo and a bit of cash and had to make a go of it.

Absolutely agree with your closing statement! Spot on.

S

sexnut

If the money was good enough and it helped enough then yes. Not social by nature.

L

Langtrees VIP Perth 2

I could make the sacrifice...if fact I think that I do! Being a single mum, working 5+ nights a week does tend to mean a very limited social life :-( But, i don't believe I would ever be the type to exclude myself from society. I love the conversation of friends, family or even complete strangers, so I would have to get around any language barrier pretty quickly so I could at least have a chat! Lol!
Lisa xxx