• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Celebrating Holi the colour festival

MR LIGHT

Chris
Gold Member
One of the BEST moment in Indian culture. Which called "HOLI" the colour of festive.

"Basanta Utsav" and "Holli" redirect here. For the film, see Basanta Utsav.

Holi is a popular ancient Indian Festival, originating from the Indian subcontinent. It is celebrated predominantly in India, but has also spread to other areas of Asia and parts of the Western world through the diaspora from the Indian subcontinent. Holi is popularly known as the Indian "festival of spring", the "festival of colours", or the "festival of love". The festival signifies the victory of good over evil. It signifies the arrival of spring, the end of winter, the blossoming of love, and for many a festive day to meet others, play and laugh, forget and forgive, and repair broken relationships. The festival also celebrates the beginning of a good spring harvest season. It lasts for a night and a day, starting on the evening of the Purnima (Full Moon day) falling in the Vikram Samvat Calender, in the Hindu calender month of Phalguna, which falls around middle of March in the Gregorian calender. The first evening is known as Holika Dahan (burning of demon holika) or Chhoti Holi and the following day as Holi, Rangwali Holi, Dhuleti, Dhulandi, or Phagwah.

Holi is an ancient Hindu religious festival which has become popular with non-Hindus as well in many parts of South Asia, as well as people of other communities outside Asia. In addition to India and Nepal, the festival is celebrated by Indian subcontinent diaspora in countries such as Jamaica, Suriname, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, South Africa, Malaysia, the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Mauritius, and Fiji. In recent years the festival has spread to parts of Europe and North America as a spring celebration of love, frolic, and colours.

Holi celebrations start on the night before Holi with a Holika Dahan, where people gather, perform religious rituals in front of the bonfire, and pray that their internal evil be destroyed the way Holika, the sister of the demon king Hiranyakashipu, was killed in the fire. The next morning is celebrated as Rangwali Holi – a free-for-all festival of colours, where people smear each other with colours and drench each other. Water guns and water-filled balloons are also used to play and colour each other. Anyone and everyone is fair game, friend or stranger, rich or poor, man or woman, children, and elders. The frolic and fight with colours occur in the open streets, open parks, outside temples and buildings. Groups carry drums and other musical instruments, go from place to place, sing and dance. People visit family, friends and foes to throw coloured powders on each other, laugh and gossip, then share Holi delicacies, food and drinks. Some customary drinks include bhang (made from cannabis), which is intoxicating. In the evening, after sobering up, people dress up and visit friends and family.

holi-image-3-big.jpg

DHFH

The Gnome
Diamond Member
Yes dear it is indeed..😘😘
I worked in India many many years ago and was lucky enough to start the project I was working on in Bangalore and Madurai during Diwali … and I celebrated Holi just before I left. At the time it really felt like I was suffering sensory overload as I just wasn’t prepared for the culture and senses of the sub continent. Amazing place. I was also extremely lucky enough to attend a traditional Hindu wedding.

DHFH

The Gnome
Diamond Member
I kind of wish I hadn’t read those posts now. Whilst I worked in India over a 6 month period and saw lots of the cities I never really spent as much time as I would have liked actually travelling. Now it’s given me an urge to go back there and spend time seeing and enjoying it for what it is. I do remember spending a few days in places like Kodiacanal and Amanuri (?.) in the southern highlands … very beautiful part of the world.