• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Bugger...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
No, I`m not a bugger but I do love my pets. Some of us don`t have children yet and look at their pet pooch or kitty cat as if they were.
Me included, my 2 little doggies I love to bits and tend to spoil them a fair bit but now comes the problem...

If one was to get sick a visit can become very expensive. I have spent as much as $1000 on one visit before.
We can`t claim medicare for our loved pets and vets tend to want the money up front. So unless we have some spare cash laying around, we have a big problem.
So how much is too much to spend on your pet?

W

WRXXXR

$1000 is a lot but for a vet visit it's not too bad.

Wait until they get really sick and need to be kept in overnight for a week.. Or get hit by a car at 9pm requiring a visit to one of the 3 24 hour vets in Perth.

It's not uncommon to see bills of 5k+ and it's worse if the dog needs a prescription diet

In his first 2 years, my dog cost me 3800 in vet fees alone. All from self inflicted injuries.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Wow.....who would have thought. I never had a pet in my life (too much moving around) but obviously they can cost a bit of money.
I don't think there is a "too much" to spend on pets. For most people pets are like family members (unless you are a farmer I guess) and they would do everything possible to look after them. Up to everybody's own judgment.

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Happy2

Legend Member
BB You are just the person who should be getting health insurance for your four legged family. I cant remember what sis pays but asWR3XR said 1 after hours emergency is
exorbitant and Insurance will certainly pay a very big chunk of it for you
And if they are your kids it may well be worth a closer look

W

WRXXXR

H2 is right, you can get pet insurance which is really no different to car insurance. Sometimes it works in your favour (and the vets...) and sometimes not. Most vets have payment plans now for obvious reasons. But insurance is great if you don't have spare money.

A bloke I know spent 12k on his dog that got really sick and 2 weeks later died. He didn't even consider saying no. Straight out of the offset account but really devasted the family and other dog as it was still young..

Rochelle, they aren't overly expensive. My German Shepard costs me around 2.5k a year if nothing goes wrong. Easily covers food (that alone costs around 130 a month for good stuff), worming & fleas, toys, beds etc but for that money I get unconditional love, security and a disobedient 45kg dog who does what he likes :p

Rochelle

Staff member
Legend Member
Hi WRXXXR........I am jealous now......you have got a German Shepard? Cool. Honestly if I would ever settle down that is the sort of dog I would love to have around me.
How old is your dog? pure breed? Male? Female? They are extemely clever animals and yes....loyal to a fault. (Shit 45kgs......that's a bit of weight) Hope your dog hasn't got the typical Shepard hip problems yet. Guess you go on a lot of long walks :)

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS:I do like the fluffy ones with long fur.

W

WRXXXR

Yeh I have a pure bred shepard!!

He's about 4 years old now and he's starting to become a bit more "mature" but the problem was that he was attacked quiet badly at 18 months down the beach so it's made him dislike dogs he doesn't know and he's become even more loyal and protective! It's a shame because until he was attacked he was the friendliest dog around but he definitely needs plenty if exercise. At least 1 decent walk per day but sometimes we'll go to the park or beach for something different.

His hips are OK but he's on joint protection tablets from the vet that in theory should prevent any problems but I guess I won't know for a few years!

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Delights

Diamond Member
No, I`m not a bugger but I do love my pets. Some of us don`t have children yet and look at their pet pooch or kitty cat as if they were.
Me included, my 2 little doggies I love to bits and tend to spoil them a fair bit but now comes the problem...

If one was to get sick a visit can become very expensive. I have spent as much as $1000 on one visit before.
We can`t claim medicare for our loved pets and vets tend to want the money up front. So unless we have some spare cash laying around, we have a big problem.
So how much is too much to spend on your pet?

If you think vet appointments are a big spend..What about certain Madam who's sausage dogs are FIFO? As my little pooch comes to work with me at the brothel... Lol wouldn't have it any other way.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
If you think vet appointments are a big spend..What about certain Madam who's sausage dogs are FIFO? As my little pooch comes to work with me at the brothel... Lol wouldn't have it any other way.

If your willing, I wouldn`t mind changing places with the pooch and living at the brothel, I promise to behave and I`ll even sleep at the end of the bed each night.
This is, as long as a different lady helps me everytime it`s bath time.:eek:ccasion14

Rochelle

Staff member
Legend Member
Hi WRXXXR good to know that there are joint protection tablets now. I hope they do the job. A friend of mine back in NZ just to have a gorgeous shepard. He had to put him down because of the hip joints. Very sad.
Hmmmmmm who did attact him?.......I mean what sort of dog? No wonder he is suspicious now......who wouldn't.
LOL....sounds like he keeps you on your toes. Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Walked past a vet hopital today and they appeared to be having puppy classes.
Has anybody ever been to one of these and does it work??
I have a shitzu that needs to better trained as he has been spoilt most of his life...

V

Vanity

Walked past a vet hopital today and they appeared to be having puppy classes.
Has anybody ever been to one of these and does it work??
I have a shitzu that needs to better trained as he has been spoilt most of his life...

You know Billy, I think what Broady54 is really trying to say, is that some pets just can't be trained, because they're more intelligent than their handlers. Other pets, well, they just like to piss of their owners. But the truth of the matter is, if you want a well trained puppy, you can't do it from abroad. It's like parenting Billy. It's no good sending gifts because your at work all the time, when all little Mickey wants, is to be with his parents.

W

WRXXXR

Often little yap yaps have terrible behaviour problems as owners tend to baby them a lot more and simply assume if theres trouble they can easily pick them up...

The dogs which attacked my dog was a Maltese X and a staffy

T

TB

Cats are a lot cheaper to keep and they smell better and are softer to touch,
my baby boy is 17y/o and has cost next to nothing in vet bills over the years.
I guess I have just been lucky.

Happy2

Legend Member
TB As a fellow cat owner Are you happy or otherwise with the new cat laws coming in "Personally I think it's OK But then again I am not on struggle street

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Cats are a lot cheaper to keep and they smell better and are softer to touch,
my baby boy is 17y/o and has cost next to nothing in vet bills over the years.
I guess I have just been lucky.

Guess your lucky...
I have a cat that I adopted, my little girl came strolling into my work about 14 years ago so I decided to take her home.
Ever since then, she`s been living a life of luxury.
She gets her own bed although she prefers mine, gets to have the tv on and full control of the remote while I am at work and dines on those fancy little tins that cost about $1.20 each serve but they can only be the seafood flavour...
I`m lucky if I get a tin of baked beans every now and then.