Anybody a Premier League fan?

flayflay

Bronze Member
Seems like the sports section here is AFL dominated so I just wanted to mix it up a bit. Plus I love me some Premier League. Anybody else into it?

B

Badge

Seems like the sports section here is AFL dominated so I just wanted to mix it up a bit. Plus I love me some Premier League. Anybody else into it?
Yes flayflay , Liverpool fan here ,love Optus Sport .

sircurious

Legend Member
Hopefully the COVID in the UK improves in the next 6 - 8 months, so another Premier League team can come down to Perth. Saw Chelsea & Man U in the last two years - atmosphere was great on both occasions.

B

Badge

Hopefully the COVID in the UK improves in the next 6 - 8 months, so another Premier League team can come down to Perth. Saw Chelsea & Man U in the last two years - atmosphere was great on both occasions.
Watched Man Utd , play Leeds at Optus when they were here , unfortunately Leeds were crap , so very disappointing .

flayflay

Bronze Member
Aston Villa fan here, hoping for a better season this year.

Ah you definitely will. Staying up at the very least. Love me some Emi Martinez. He will be saving you some more points through out the season. Up the Villa.

dan60

Diamond Member
can anybody explain this weeks handball rules.
(and i mean this week, because they have just changed it again!)

Sexty8

Sexty8 - you do me , and then I owe you one!
Diamond Member
can anybody explain this weeks handball rules.
(and i mean this week, because they have just changed it again!)
From the BBC so should be reliable...

What is the new law?
It's not technically "new" as it has been in force across Europe last season, but the Premier League is now taking a more strict approach. So that means a player will be penalised for handball if:
  • The hand/arm is clearly away from the body and outside the "body line".
  • The player clearly leans into the path of the ball.
  • The ball travels some distance.
  • The ball touches a hand/arm that is clearly raised above the shoulder.
  • The player falls and the hand/arm is extended laterally or vertically away from the body.
  • A deflection clearly makes no difference to the ball touching a hand/arm that is clearly extended away from the body and/or above the shoulder.
  • Immediately after touching the ball with the arm, even accidentally, the player scores a goal or creates a goal-scoring opportunity.

Sexty8

Diamond Member
And then goes on...

How has the handball rule changed?
Football's rulemakers, the International Football Association Board (Ifab), tightened up the handball rule in time for this season, defining the boundary between the shoulder and the arm as the bottom of the armpit.
Anything below that and it's a handball - intentional or not, it doesn't matter.
Ifab also emphasised a handball offence takes place when a player makes their body 'unnaturally bigger' and/or puts their arms above shoulder height.
It was also clarified that an "accidental" handball by an attacking player is only penalised if it occurs "immediately" before a goal or clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Sexty8

Diamond Member
And since you then asked “this week” here is that discusiion, you should be full bottle now 😜

What will the Premier League change?

The Athletic understands the Premier League has not enjoyed the numerous controversial handball decisions already this season. “Nobody at the Premier League, PGMOL or anyone else is enjoying this rule,” said a top-flight source.

They cannot change the rule itself as the IFAB has to agree that, but the Premier League will ask the Select Group of referees to apply more leniency in handball decisions.

Anything that hits a hand above the head in the box, for example, would still be a penalty. But a deflection off a hand by a player’s side would be viewed differently.

Proximity and arm position are the key factors in the change. For example, the penalties given against Joel Ward or Victor Lindelof this weekend might not have been spot kicks.

But the handball decision against Dier or Neal Maupay, for example, would still stand.

dan60

Diamond Member
And since you then asked “this week” here is that discusiion, you should be full bottle now 😜

But the handball decision against Dier or Neal Maupay, for example, would still stand.
but the penalty in the everton v palace match would not be awarded this week.
diers penalty would stand only because his arm was above shoulder level apparently.

Sweetninnocent

Gold Member
I believe many of us watch the Premier League. A small minority probably watch the Spanish League too. At the moment Girona is flying high after being a yo-yo team for the past few years since their initial promotion in 2018. There have been comparisons between Girona and Leicester but Girona is financed by the same petrodollars that have brought success to the blue half of Manchester.