• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

A history of gay perth

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
Not really, this was an exhibition in the early noughties. I've met the lady who wrote this - she's quite a scholar and it's an interesting read.

The Gay Museum

An exhibition exploring the history of lesbian and gay presence in Western Australia

Western Australian Museum, PerthJanuary 22 to March 16, 2003

Jo Darbyshire

The Gay Museum – a history of lesbian and gay presence in Western Australia

If anything the stuff of human experience is its unruliness: a resistance to containment within a glass vitrine ... Current art practice acknowledges this restlessness of meaning and many artists have made it the subject of their work. In doing so they have put considerable pressure on the paradigms that hold sway in most museums and public art galleries.Today’s art actively challenges the definitions of art, artist, viewer, gallery, critic and even curator.Lisa G. Corrin, Give and Take Exhibition Catalogue,The Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 2001

Like many people, I have always been fascinated by museums and the ‘stuff’ in them. I knew artists worked in museums as illustrators, designers, and prop-makers but it has only been since the mid-1980s that artists have realised they had a lot in common with curators. We both love to collect, and to make meaning using objects and ideas. When I had an opportunity to work as an artist in the museum, I realised I had a rare chance to create an exhibition that talked about history and could use strategies from contemporary visual art to do so.

The way history is presented in museums has changed considerably over the last thirty years. Empirical views of history have been challenged as society has become more diverse.As concerns were raised about access and interpretation, museums began to represent ethnic and indigenous views in their exhibitions. People now understand that the curator is no longer the ‘voice of authority’, and that there is no one, fixed way to understand history. The Western Australian Museum was one of the first museums to present social history exhibitions in Australia in the 1970s, and it is keen to widen the debate about how history is represented in museums.The Museum generously supported this exhibition, allowing me access to collections and freedom to explore and interpret the material.

The theme of the exhibition was chosen not only to redress the lack of representation of lesbian and gay people in West Australian history, but also because few objects had been collected by the Museum to illustrate homosexuality or to acknowledge this cultural group. On the face of it lesbian and gay people had no history. Given this absence, my challenge as an artist was to find creative solutions to talk about our history and what meaning could be made of it.

Museums have many rules and perhaps this is one of the reasons artists feel drawn to them. Questioning rules is one of our strengths. However, it is not the artist’s wish to break rules for the sake of it, as many people fear. Rather, by breaking institutional conventions I saw the possibility of opening up new meanings and ideas. Traditionally, museums have tended to display objects in terms of their classification, referring to their function, provenance, or in the case of natural history specimens, their place in a taxonomic order. In this exhibition, I wanted to overcome this ‘unwritten’ rule by exploring other ways objects can be interpreted when displayed.

Artists bring with them training in lateral thinking and the skill of ‘looking’.This looking is the ability to see how ideas might connect with material objects: to see symbolic content and possibilities for other meanings in the materiality or

aesthetic of an object. In The Gay Museum, I appropriated objects from collections of social and maritime history, anthropology and natural science and tried to use them symbolically, ironically and humorously. Objects hold memories – our memories – and especially those to do with sex and place: touch, emotion, body, transience, fantasy and love. Unlikely objects, thrown together casually or juxtaposed with text, may evoke new meanings.

Sexuality was not traditionally something museums have been comfortable talking about, unless connected to natural science discussions. Human sexuality is notoriously fluid and changeable; a person may have different needs and desires at different stages in their lives, and fall under various definitions or labels as they do so. One thing that is certain is that the idea of heterosexuality can’t, by definition, exist without its binary opposite – homosexuality.The two have always been connected and, as the many definitions of sexual identity presented in this exhibition show, there have been many places to linger or hide between these two points. Homosexual activists, in their demands for sexual freedom, have perhaps acted as a catalyst for change in the ‘straight’ community. By reflecting on the experiences of homosexual people and their presence, I hope this exhibition encourages richer discussions about the history of sexuality in Western Australia. I believe there needs to be more effort to record and represent lesbian and gay history in our public institutions. Historian Gary Wotherspoon has said that such material has simply been suppressed in Australia. He asserts that historians have been

complicit in this, and has pointed out that material has been destroyed, either by the authorities, who wished to deny that1

such widespread behaviour existed or by relatives and family intent on protecting their ‘good name’.

While researching this exhibition, the gaps in knowledge, the collusion to keep quiet, the eradication of knowledge or memory, self-censorship and the fear of exposure in the lesbian and gay community were heartbreakingly apparent. For many people, safety lay in the eradication of all evidence of difference. Many things, such as photographs and artefacts, that signal significant moments in our history were just too dangerous to keep. Researcher Reece Plunkett suggests that these actions are evidence that gay and lesbian people have had a fundamentally different experience of history, and that

how history is hidden or disallowed is important evidence of the experience itself. She encourages us to write about2

sexuality as a central element of Western Australian history, not simply to append or consider it as an after thought.

It is with heartfelt thanks that I acknowledge those people who have spoken to me in oral histories, who shared their precious photographs, objects and private stories, and contributed to this exhibition in so many ways. These people show that our varied experience of lived sexuality, our lives as homosexual people, and our history of fighting for equality have only contributed to a richer West Australian history.

1. GarryWotherspoon,‘PrivateVice to Public history:Homosexuality inAustralia’,Public History Review,vol.1,1992.

2. Reece Plunkett, 'History, Sexuality,Western Australia', conference paper, Homosexual Histories Conference, Melbourne, 1988.
Jo Darbyshire, 2003

Research Institute for Cultural Heritage, Curtin University of Technology; Western Australian Museum

Last edited by a moderator:

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
Part 2 of the above

Aboriginal visibility

In 1956 when I was about 6 I lived in Coolgardie and I loved to dress in my mother’s clothes. I remember my mother saying once that if I went out into the wind dressed like that I would turn into a girl, like Christine Jorgensen. So, of course I kept running out into the wind at every opportunity hoping I’d change!
Brian Abdullah, Jennifer, 2002

An American private in the US Army, George Jorgensen made headlines in 1952 when he went to Denmark for an operation to become a woman. She came to Australia on a stage tour in 1955 as Christine Jorgensen.

When I've taken my lover back home, they've reacted to it in a very positive way, and my brothers and sisters call herumini which is 'sister-in-law' in Bardi. My family is making a land claim on our traditional land, and my brother, when talking about the project, has said to me, 'Oh, this is where we'll live – you'll live here with your woman, and we'll live here' ... so they regard it as quite normal.

Marie Andrews in the SBS television documentary, 'Double Trouble', 1991

Robert Smith, Perth, c.1970

In our environment we identify as being sisters even if we don't wear drag.You know, we might have long fingernails, or we might have our eyebrows plucked but not wear drag, or not live as a woman – but still enjoy Sistergirl qualities.Robert Smith, Vanessa, 2002

Poofter

Offensive and uniquely Australian in usage ... it has been suggested that because homosexuals were supposed to wear cosmetics, the powder-puff, a cosmetic instrument, was shortened to ‘puff’, which with usage was altered and ‘the word became the thing’.
David Clay, Camping Isn’t Gay, 1974

Powder Puff, c.1920-30s

Chiffon scarf with down puff in centre.CH1980.602

Dice

Bone, recovered from the Zeewijk (1727) wreck during archaeological excavations on Gun Island, Houtman Abrolhos, by the Western Australian Maritime Museum in 1978.
ZW4977

Sea

The Dutch East India Company ship Zeewijk was wrecked on a reef of the Abrolhos islands, off the Western Australian coastinJune,1727.ThesurvivorsfoundtheirwayoverthereeftoGunIsland.On30th November,twoboysAdriaen Spoor and Pieter Engels were found committing 'the stupid sin', which is what the Dutch called homosexual acts.What happened to the boys is recorded in the journal of Adriean Van der Graeff:

It has appeared to us clearly and truthfully that the persons mentioned, on 30th November 1727, at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, committed in the island the abominable and god-forsaken deeds of Sodom and Gomorrah, to the great sorrow of the officers, distress of the crew, and general peril of our island. Through which deed terrible plagues may strike our people, or discord may occur among us, with the loss of all that is good.The outrageous and God-forsaken manner of living has reached such a height that the junior seamen did not fear God nor justice in committing the acts ... all of which are of a dangerous and evil nature and where justice prevails ought to be punished by death for the prevention of further evil.

‘Journal of Adriean Van der Graeff ’

The two boys were marooned on two outer coral islands and left to die.

Sourced from Hugh Edwards, The Wreck on the Half-Moon Reef, Rigby, Australia, 1970

Invisibility has been both our safety and our trap

One of the great disasters, in my opinion, was when we had the meeting to dissolve CAMP, which would have been about 1988, and they decided to destroy the records. I pleaded with them ... I said,‘put them in the Battye Library. Put a 50-year embargo on them if you want to. Don’t destroy them ... that’s part of history!’ They said it would be in the spirit of the constitution (which said all the records should be kept under lock and key) to destroy them. All the minutes and all the correspondence were destroyed...

Geoffrey Davis, 2002

Being a woman and being an artist in the early decades of the 20th century opened up enormous possibilities. With opportunities for financial and domestic independence, women could break with convention, travel and entertain careers that had been previously unobtainable. Already thrown to the edges of their worlds, what would it mean to also choose to be a lesbian? Would this choice liberate or would it force exile and concealment?Janda Gooding, Curator of Historical Art,

Art Gallery of Western Australia, 2002

Silver Locket, c.1900

CH1975.501

1950s

The men coming back from overseas after the war ... many of them had had homo-erotic adventures so they were more tolerant of gays. Poofter only started to be used in a nasty way in the late 50s – when the tide seemed to turn...
Alex Buchanan, from an oral history interview with Ivan King, 1996

We were persecuted in the 50s! A lot of people that got in awkward positions went to gaol and after they did their sentence, they left. We often wondered where they had gone and then somebody would say, ‘They left town...they're in the eastern states now.’
I would never mention their names ... the point is – I can tell you about things but I don’t need to incriminate people – because this is a code that we have. It's a code of silence amongst the discreet members of the homosexual community ... I am not going to give you any names. I would be banned and outed ... by my own group.

Triz, 2002

In the 1950s, before television, the cinemas were nearly always full, and if you were lucky, you found yourself playing kneesies with a stranger in the Metro ... and while in Hay St, pre-mall, you could always pop downstairs to the Mayfair Theatrette. It screened hourly newsreel programs and was known affectionately as ‘the Hope and Grope’. It was notorious ...You could also have sex around the corner in the underground toilet on Murray St – near what is now the Good Samaritans – it was filled in probably 20 years ago...

Johan Knollema, 2002

Policeman Glove Puppet, c.1940-50s

H1989.183

Drag

WE CAN DO WITHOUT ‘DRAG’ PARTIES
As parties go it was lively enough. There was beer and music and dancing. Heavily made-up blondes and brunettes gossiped on the sidelines.They giggled and archly dug each other in the ribs. Occasionally they danced together.

A newcomer could have sworn that some of the girls were even flirting with each other.What sort of a set-up was it anyway? Now supposing you had a dance card and you went up and rubbed it gently against the chin of one of the girls. It would have rasped like sandpaper. Supposing you put a hand on a nyloned limb! You would have felt bristles and a muscular calf. Supposing you‘d got playful and pulled at a lock of the blonde hair ... the whole head of hair would have come away in your hands. In other words you’d have got the idea pretty fast that the femmes were phoney and you were in the company of an extraordinary gathering of make believe madams.

This could have been your astounding experience had you been invited to a recent ‘social evening’ in a suburb of Perth. All the guests were men and many of them wore ‘full drag’. It was one of THOSE nights. And in case you’re not au faitwith the jargon of the effeminates, ‘drag’ means: Elaborate wig, Painted and rouged face, Expensive frock and dainty underwear, Brassiere with padding, Silk stockings and high-heeled shoes.

Party was lavish and crowded.There was plenty of hard liquor and hot jazz ... and so ‘drag nights’ have come to Perth! We’ve been mercifully free of anything like this even though they’ve been commonplace in the bigger cities’ for some years. Regrettable feature is that many of the cultists are seemingly intelligent people and some of them hold responsible jobs.What the ‘evenings’ develop into is something that can only be guessed at...

Front page of The Mirror, 24 October, 1953

Everybody knew what the laws were in the sixties. As drag queens, we were allowed to get around in drag ... so long as you wore male underwear. Otherwise you could be arrested and charged with Gross Indecency.
Robert Smith, Vanessa, 2002

Blue Satin Shoes

Change

Dr Csillag believes that since homosexuality is learnt it can be unlearnt ... He sat a homosexual in a chair with a wet electrode tied to his leg. As he screened slides of nude homosexuals, he played a tape-recording of erotic homosexual literature and then he gave the man an electric shock.The recorder then stopped playing and the slide was replaced by one of a provocatively-dressed woman. Relief from tension became associated strongly with the female body, while the male body was associated with anxiety ... Dr Csillag tried the shock on himself once. ‘I swore like hell’, he said.TonyThomas,‘HomosexualsandPerth’, TheCritic,theUniversityofWesternAustralia,vol.8,no.10,1968,p.94.

It was about 1976 ... I was coming back from doing a clinic one day down at Wattie Creek or Dagaragu and all the kids in the back of the four-wheel drive started screaming about this Walkabout Shop. As we got closer, I could see a funny little truck parked out in the middle of the paddock. It turned out to be this bunch of women from Kununurra driving around the Aboriginal settlements and Main Roads camps. Wherever there were people in the bush, they would stop and open up the truck ...

They were the friendliest women I had ever met and they all looked like lesbians to me.When I say they looked like lesbians ... I mean there was something straight away – an instant, friendly air of confidence about them...
Bronwyn Wallace, 2002

I was transferred back to HMAS Stirling on Garden Island, and put on a year's probation. Every month I had to go to my commanding officer and he would ask, ‘Have you slept with any woman this month Rachel?’, and I would have to tell him, ‘No’.
There were loud whispers going around that the laws were going to be changed and so basically I just hung in there, and in 1992 they finally banned discrimination against homosexuals in the Defence Forces ...

But I still had to go and have my monthly reports with my commanding officer and on the next one he said,‘Rachel, have you slept with any women this month?’ I said, ‘Yes, sir,’ and he goes, ‘Good on you, Rachel!’
Rachel Standring, 2002

Corset, ‘Liberty Label’, c.1940

H1993.234

AIDS

A lot of the beautiful young men who worked at Connections in the late 70s and 80s are dead, many of them died of AIDS ... every night Tim or I light a candle and some incense sticks in the red ‘shrine’ set up at the top of the club – in memory of them. I only have to look down and I can see a spot where a group of particular men once stood. I can remember their faces and there’s so many that have disappeared.

Peter Robinson, 2002

BAN GAYS NOT GUNS
‘Outlawing homosexuality would save more lives than proposed gun laws’, outspoken MP Wilson Tuckey told a gun rally yesterday ... Mr Tuckey’s attack on homosexuality and his reference to the Port Arthur tragedy drew applause from the male-dominated gun rally ... ‘There is another disease which kills about 550 Australians every year, at least 30 more than are killed by guns. That is HIV-AIDS. Legislation to outlaw anal intercourse, if it received 100 percent compliance, which like guns it will not, would directly reduce HIV-AIDS by about 95 per cent ... It just depends what kind of weapon you want to use to kill someone.’
Bruce Butler, The Sunday Times, 2 July 1996, p3.

Green Trousers with ‘Stamina’ Label, c.1950s

CH1984.254

How the West was Won

The State election held in December 1996 set the scene for an interesting battle. The conservative Liberal Government of Richard Court was returned to power for a second term. However, for the first time in 126 years conservatives did not hold the majority in the Legislative Council. Instead new members from the Australian Democrats and the WA Greens held the balance of power. Green MLC, Giz Watson, was the first open lesbian elected to any Australian parliament. More importantly, this was the first time ever in Western Australia’s entire history, that progressive parties held the majority in both Houses of Parliament.The scene was set for reform.

Damian Meyers, ‘How the west was won: a personal analysis of the law reform campaign in Western Australia’, word is out e-journal, 2002

State MLC Giz Watson and long-time CAMP Inc. campaigner Geoffrey Davis

On 26 February 2002, the night State Parliament passed Gay and Lesbian law reform.Photo: Jo Darbyshire

'Normalcy', it is said, ‘is the evil side of homosexuality’ ... Normalization is the battleground of queer political struggle ... queer disdains and defies the coherence and stability of all sexual identity.That to me is the meaning of queer, and it is a meaning we need now, in all its historical richness, to counter ... the normalization of sexuality.
Douglas Crimp citing Marc Siegal in ‘Getting the Warhol We Deserve: Cultural Studies and Queer Culture’, International Journal of Contemporary Art, vol.1, pt.2, 1999, pp.164-165.

Personal Ads, The Sunday Times, September 30 1973